IGNORED

Twentyman Tonight

BIGPHIL

Did anyone happen to listen to his programme tonight. I cannot believe the so called City fan who finds it hard to undestand why City and Rovers wont ground share during the Minimal ground rebuild. he then went on to say the move would make complete sense, as we could use there ground while Aston Gate was rebuilt. Seemed not to understand the attitude of the city fans in not wanting the Gas at the Gate.

Did anyone happen to listen to his programme tonight. I cannot believe the so called City fan who finds it hard to undestand why City and Rovers wont ground share during the Minimal ground rebuild. he then went on to say the move would make complete sense, as we could use there ground while Aston Gate was rebuilt. Seemed not to understand the attitude of the city fans in not wanting the Gas at the Gate.

He didn't seem to understand that Ashton Gate isn't being rebuilt either. It's being replaced, and City won't need to share with anyone.

Twentyman could have enlightened him on that - plus the fact that absolutely nobody apart from the caller wants the gas at AG, not even their own fans.

The Rovers fan on afterwards said he'd rather watch them at Cheltenham.

Guest ashtonyate
He didn't seem to understand that Ashton Gate isn't being rebuilt either. It's being replaced, and City won't need to share with anyone.

Twentyman could have enlightened him on that - plus the fact that absolutely nobody apart from the caller wants the gas at AG, not even their own fans.

The Rovers fan on afterwards said he'd rather watch them at Cheltenham.

I do know Ashtongate is being rebuilt what I said was we need not have spent money buying the land had we shared with Rovers whilst our ground was being built.

Which if you took all the rivalry out of the discussion was the best plan for both clubs and may have cost city less in the long run.

Now you tell me on a business plan it would not be the best thing for the club leaving out all the silly rivalry

I know the caller said he would sooner play at Swindon but if The Gate was on offer I bet I know where most of the Gas would want to go and its not on a 80 mile round trip

I do know Ashtongate is being rebuilt what I said was we need not have spent money buying the land had we shared with Rovers whilst our ground was being built.

Which if you took all the rivalry out of the discussion was the best plan for both clubs and may have cost city less in the long run.

Now you tell me on a business plan it would not be the best thing for the club leaving out all the silly rivalry

I know the caller said he would sooner play at Swindon but if The Gate was on offer I bet I know where most of the Gas would want to go and its not on a 80 mile round trip

No even without the rivalry there is a millon BUSINESS reason why it would not work too many(without going over old ground thats been done to death.) to mention.

Plus the fact it is cheaper to bulid a new stadium than rebulid existing about £10 million pounds cheaper. Theres 10 million reasons for you right there.

Guest MaloneFM
No even without the rivalry there is a millon BUSINESS reason why it would not work too many(without going over old ground thats been done to death.) to mention.

One of those being?

Guest ashtonyate

Plus the fact it is cheaper to bulid a new stadium than rebulid existing about £10 million pounds cheaper. Theres 10 million reasons for you right there.

Never mind a million good reason one or two would do as for cheaper to move I not so sure because the old ashton gate would be needed to be pulled down and that will be factored in the price we get for it.

As well if we stayed the atyeo stand could be incorporate into the new ground and planning permission would be easier to get as the ground is there, because the new ground may have had a wink and a nod but if there is a lot of opposition to the new ground it could take years to get built

Okay.... so what if the rovers did ( i know they ain't) play at ashton gate next season.... what would you do with the empty 3 stands??? ;)

Guest ashtonyate
I'm sorry AstonYate you have left me somewhat confused. Where have you got the information as you state that 'you know Ashton Gate is being rebuilt' if thats the case perhaps you should let Steve Lansdown know.

sorry what I should have said I know we are building a new ground what I ment was ashtongate was being replaced

The gas caller said he'd seen Rovers at AG after the Eastville fire and it didn't feel right. He said he wouldn't want to do it again and would far rather go to Cheltenham.

I don't think "most of the gas" would want to see Rovers at AG anymore than most of us would welcome going to the Memorial Ground to watch City if roles were reversed.

The real problem for Rovers is that no one seems overly keen to have them.

So we share with Rovers whilst our new ground is being built on land we don't own as were sharing with Rovers whilst Ashton Gate sits there empty and then what we buy the land for the stadium after we have built it? What you wrote doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Never mind a million good reason one or two would do as for cheaper to move I not so sure because the old ashton gate would be needed to be pulled down and that will be factored in the price we get for it.

As well if we stayed the atyeo stand could be incorporate into the new ground and planning permission would be easier to get as the ground is there, because the new ground may have had a wink and a nod but if there is a lot of opposition to the new ground it could take years to get built

Pure speculation... but consider the various cost factors in the public domain (cheaper to build, opportunity to "do more" to the site, increasing non-matchday revenue etc., plus the value of the currentsite for housing and it's clear why we're planning to move not rebuild.

One other thought... scanning the web, the gas capacity for football is 11,626. Remove 5% for away fans (and tell me how many championship clubs would be happy with an allocation of 582!) and 5% that have to be available to purchase (league rules) and you go down to 10,463. Given that we've already sold about a thousand less than that before the season has even finished and that compost heap surrounded by a few garden sheds isn't big enough!

oh yes, on the subject of league rules, isn't there something about terracing not being allowed for the championship (whatever your personal views on safe standing etc.)?

Nope

Will Listen To It Online Later

The gas caller said he'd seen Rovers at AG after the Eastville fire and it didn't feel right. He said he wouldn't want to do it again and would far rather go to Cheltenham.

I don't think "most of the gas" would want to see Rovers at AG anymore than most of us would welcome going to the Memorial Ground to watch City if roles were reversed.

The real problem for Rovers is that no one seems overly keen to have them.

Talking of fires.. there of course was a certain BCFC fan(s) who were hauled in for the fire at twerton and we do not know to this day the reasons behind the fire at eastville do we. Suggestions of retaliation at the Gate and the lack of insurance cover would be enough for me, in SL's shoes, to say thanks but no thanks.

I think this wraps this idea up nicely. Twentypence needs to do his research a little more.

Guest ashtonyate
If this suggestion is totally serious then why not go the whole hog, merge the clubs, have the team turn out in red,white and blue and call the resultant mongrel BRISTOL UNITED ?

(and no ,I'm not personally advocating such a heresy !)

What I am saying is a long way off of that, its would have been a way of both Clubs working a situation to there own advantage.

It really would not make any difference to the City fans we would not be made to watch them just in the end two bodies respecting and helping one another.

As for us going together as one team it has its merits but I could never see it happen

You never know when things may be different we might need a leg up, life has talt me that what comes around goes around

What I am saying is a long way off of that, its would have been a way of both Clubs working a situation to there own advantage.

It really would not make any difference to the City fans we would not be made to watch them just in the end two bodies respecting and helping one another.

As for us going together as one team it has its merits but I could never see it happen

You never know when things may be different we might need a leg up, life has talt me that what comes around goes around

A mature approach indeed, and the what comes around goes around philosophy is very sound one ; but given the passionate dislike of the gas exhibited in this forum by many (make that most) of the contributors would it be a feasible proposition ?

There is no rationale - just should not and will not ever happen - we are City - they are the Gas - do not want to share, never will, makes me laugh when they have problems and they laugh at us in return - that is how it should be - one team in Bristol - and another bunch from whorefield :innocent06:

Guest ashtonyate
A mature approach indeed, and the what comes around goes around philosophy is very sound one ; but given the passionate dislike of the gas exhibited in this forum by many (make that most) of the contributors would it be a feasible proposition ?

I bet most gas haters on this forum have friends who are gas I have a son in law who is one, its OK to have a crack about them like they do with us we would miss them if they were not there.

One of the main reason I think is the environment there are going to be lots of extra miles being used. All of there possible grounds sharing clubs are round trips of 80 miles plus. I think we should all try to cut down on car journeys to help with pollution.

As we have our own land for the new ground and will not need to use the mem but the money from them would be great plus all the bits like catering car parks drink sales so as well as helping them we could make a few bob.

Archived