IGNORED

2 Wins In Our Last 10 Games

reddogkev

Ever since our win against Hull, which put us top of the table, and was all the more impressive when you consider their subsequent form, we have been absolutely shocking, as you all know. What the hell has been the cause of our decline, and just how on earth are we not currently 8th in the table?

Was our collapse due to pressure? The players kept trotting out the usual lines: pressure isn't an issue at the club, we weren't expected to do so well, we have nothing to fear etc, but it now seems that this was all false bravado, and the players may have actually been petrified! Picture how much we all wanted a second promotion this season, and the desire to witness our club performing in the prem, then imagine this multiplied by another 50% for the players - for it is their reputations which would be elevated to a higher level, and you can understand the pressure they must have felt.

Or was it just because our team were simply not good enough? It is possible that the team managed to punch above their weight for a prolonged period, perhaps rolling forth on the back of last season's promotion and their subsequent confidence. The media kept saying the bubble would burst, which seemed a pathetic notion after 35 games, but alas, they appear to be correct.

Take a look back to the table after our win against Hull, it begs the question, just what went wrong!?!

I don't like to say it because if you watched the interview it was specific questions asked by Geoff Twentyman, rather than the chairman making forthright statements, but when we started being quoted about what we would spend in the Premier League it struck me as terribly divisive,

It's one thing to believe in your objective, it's another to bring forward the reality of what that achievement would mean to the people pushing for it. Last season everyone focused because even the likes of Smith believed in where they were going and that they would be a part of it.

It was only in the summer that the reality of our progression dawned and players were released or the likes of Jevons, Betsy got pushed down the pecking order. A lot of them working towards promotion this year have seen that first hand and now know the reality of the chairman's words.

I think that has really damaged the confidence of all the players who don't feel they can push on (Basso and McIndoe excluded, and rightly so) and it's no exaggeration therefore that since then they have not looked like they have been playing for themselves anymore, but for someone else.

That's precisely why they've needed the half-time 'grenade' of late, they're not able to derive as much self-motivation as they should do at this stage of the season, and that should be unusual for any professional in their position unless you consider this new self-doubt about their future.

Incidentally, I'm not blaming the chairman, if you actually go back he never says the 30 million figure, he makes a reference to half of the money available, if anything Geoff Twentyman would be a nice easy target to blame for persisting with stupid unnecessary sensationalist questions.

Either way, when we needed (to coin a GJ phrase) to wrap players up in cotton wool and make them feel happy and positive for the run-in, we actually got them looking over their shoulders or ahead at their futures (rather than the 14 game objective GJ set which we didn't stick to).

One final point - GJ makes the players move to the area. If we went up their options are not the same as it would be at a North West, Midlands or London club. Our players know there are no regional alternatives and becoming surplus to requirements means moving house and family.

At the end of the day, I think we've given the players too much to worry about and not enough to focus on. They HAVE had a fantastic season so there is no blame but it has all got too much and the panic has set in and they've taken their foot off the accelerator with the finish line in sight.

:city:

Seems quite clear to me Lee Johnson got injured and since he has been out we have not performed. May be coincidence but for me this and marvin elliott carrying a knock are the two major factors

:city: Spot on mate,our 'engine room' has lost it's drive but hopefully they will be back for the play-offs.

Seems quite clear to me Lee Johnson got injured and since he has been out we have not performed.

It's nice to see LJ being appreciated, after some of the abuse he has suffered this season. It does seem that ever since his injury at Watford, we have struggled. Perhaps not having enough strength in depth in midfield was our problem, expecially coupled with the loss of Elliot for a few games. I would love to see us bid for Howard from Barnsley this summer, he has really impressed in their cup run.

Guest barnsley
It's nice to see LJ being appreciated, after some of the abuse he has suffered this season. It does seem that ever since his injury at Watford, we have struggled. Perhaps not having enough strength in depth in midfield was our problem, expecially coupled with the loss of Elliot for a few games. I would love to see us bid for Howard from Barnsley this summer, he has really impressed in their cup run.

Your will be very very lucky to get Brian Howard

Been linked with Bolton Villa Everton Sunderland Derby. All for £5million. If he plays like he has done for the past few games for rest of season, id accept £5 never mind 5million.

Archived