IGNORED

Too Little, Too Late Leaves City Pondering A Play-off Fate

Blagdon red

BB's review and ratings from the Stoke game now online:

Too Little, Too Late Leaves City Pondering A Play-off Fate

In my opinion, one of the major factors in our recent demise has been fear.

Yesterday's first half display demonstrated that our players had a collective lack of belief in their own ability to perform the basics and were simply bullied into submission. Stoke looked a class apart, but that changed dramatically once City employed McIndoe's pace down the left-flank.

From my position at the back of the AM stand this was a joy to behold amongst the City hordes, who roared their encouragement every time the diminutive Scot took flight. If we'd had the same ability on the opposite wing City may have even snatched an undeserved draw against a side that have proven to be brittle at home under pressure.

Following the Southampton defeat GJ said something along the lines that City's players had the right mindset in the changing room, it was out on the pitch where the problems unfolded. Can this continually be the case? If a large number of players are hindered psychologically before each game then something has to give.

How do they solve it?

The vast disappointment amongst City fans leaving the game was loud, freely given & evident.

I'm not sure what this comment is meant to say but I know what it implies.

From someone who was there, I'd like everyone to know that City got a standing ovation from the City fans as they left the field.

Adebola - 6 points????? One question I have to ask is: can he head the ball? I have seen one decent game from Adebola since he joined us. It wasn't yesterday. I assume you marked him up 3 points for the OG he caused from a (once again) mistimed header.

Noble - 6 points???? Your bias shows through again. What did he do exactly?

I'm surprised you didn't lay into Johnson for his woeful tactics once again. Are you turning into a Radio Bristol presenter?

exactly......Noble, Adebola, Trundle all got a 6?

How can a player who scored a goal, get the same as a player who didn't get an assist or a goal, I don't understand?

I can also not understand how Trundle who came on at the same time as Noble, got the same rating. Despite Trundle being one of only 3 players (basso & mcindoe) in the game to come out with any real credit, as he was a good creative influence and put in a number of dangerous balls into the box which actually managed to cause some stoke panic in defence.

bias towards noble......yet again.

It's quite clear, but I'll explain-On leaving the stadium there was plenty of adverse comment and you'll also be aware that some fans booed the team off at half-time as denoted in another thread.I don't imply anything, I state it.

From someone who was there, I'd like everyone to know that City got a standing ovation from the City fans as they left the field.

As someone else that was there, they got an ovation from the ones that were left and not those streaming from the ground or those that had already left, which, tbh, I can't understand based on the last twenty minutes or so.

Adebola - 6 points????? One question I have to ask is: can he head the ball? I have seen one decent game from Adebola since he joined us. It wasn't yesterday. I assume you marked him up 3 points for the OG he caused from a (once again) mistimed header.

Adebola can head a ball and has scored six goals with one assist which makes him our second highest scorer which isn't bad in 14 appearances.He'd head a lot more if the odd cross came in from time to time, perchance a through ball.

First of all he was introduced out of position and he tried and succeeded on a couple of occassions to get the thing down and pass it to a red shirt-a vast improvement on our first half showing.Secondly, you may not have noticed how he tracked back and assisted Orr in defence.Thirdly, if he was that awful how come our performance improved significantly or wasn't he in any way responsible?

I'm surprised you didn't lay into Johnson for his woeful tactics once again. Are you turning into a Radio Bristol presenter?

No, but what was your opinion of our tactics and team shape in the first half?

exactly......Noble, Adebola, Trundle all got a 6?

Correct

How can a player who scored a goal, get the same as a player who didn't get an assist or a goal, I don't understand?

It's based on their performance over ninety minutes and you've argued all season that goals & asists don't count.

I can also not understand how Trundle who came on at the same time as Noble, got the same rating. Despite Trundle being one of only 3 players (basso & mcindoe) in the game to come out with any real credit, as he was a good creative influence and put in a number of dangerous balls into the box which actually managed to cause some stoke panic in defence.

They both had an impact-That's the point.Their introduction changed things significantly even with Nobe played out of position.Read the part of the Review when I talk about that.

bias towards noble......yet again.

Wheras you slagging the bloke off for being a drunk behind his back and through the anonimity of an internet forum is even handed, fair minded and unbiased, its it?? :disapointed2se:

If you read my review on the Southapton or Norwich games you'll see that isn't true, although you struggle when argument is based on fact and not fiction or assumption.

Where are the other stepfords anyway, can't you get hold of them?

It's based on their performance over ninety minutes and you've argued all season that goals & asists don't count. dodging the point, you admit in your review he did nothing and he still gets the same rating as 2 players who actually came out of the game and can say they earned their money.

Wheras you slagging the bloke off for being a drunk behind his back and through the anonimity of an internet forum is even handed, fair minded and unbiased, its it?? :disapointed2se:

If you read my review on the Southapton or Norwich games you'll see that isn't true, although you struggle when argument is based on fact and not fiction or assumption.

please find a posting where I have stated that? you won't because I haven't, I've slated his performances because in the majority of them this season, he hasn't been fit enough to complete 90mins on a regular basis, any more than 45mins from the player and he isn't effective, have seen the other ratings from the norwich/saints game, but that's only 2 reviews from his performances this season has for the player in particular been poor overall.

your more than happy to crticise everything from the man at the top so why can't i sat behind your computer why can't i?

your final comments is just stereotypical bb and is barely worth responding to, can't respond fairly so you attempt you continue with your little put downs with those who disagree with you....yawn.

Bradley Orr stood out as our best player in the first half. A 5/10 for him is a bit harsh IMO.

agree, in the first half he was one of the better players without doubt, 5 is just silly,

the general feeling is that he did more than being worth a 5,

http://www.clubfanzine.com/bristol_city/sh...mp;page=ratings

as ever with Bradley sometimes his distribution and tackling isn't the best, but his work rate can never be faulted, be interesting to see how much distance he covers during a game compared to other players, unfortunately it's info we are not privvy to, but you can be sure it's one of the few in the team each week

agree, in the first half he was one of the better players without doubt, 5 is just silly,

The game lasts ninety minutes, not 45.

Flogging that site to death still?

as ever with Bradley sometimes his distribution and tackling isn't the best, but his work rate can never be faulted, be interesting to see how much distance he covers during a game compared to other players, unfortunately it's info we are not privvy to, but you can be sure it's one of the few in the team each week

I don't think anyone can criticise his effort and he has been one of the pleasant surprises this season.However, as you say, the distribution isn't great although he hasn't been on his own lately.

The game lasts ninety minutes, not 45.

yes, but your missing the point, which is that as majority of people have said, pretty much EVERYONE improved in the 2nd, but the point is in the first half Bradley was one of the better players, based on that and the fact that he improved as per the rest of the team in the 2nd half, then a 5 isn't justifed

Flogging that site to death still?

find me another site which allows a fans to vote on players performance and I'll link to that instead, it's the only place where you can get a wider reflection fans view of players performances as opposed to any individual review on other website and match reports.

I agree mostly with the ratings and review however i feel skuse was one of the better players on the pitch and put in alot of tackles and effort. Also Bristol Boy commented on him being unable to play in a two man midfield when i feel he was one of the best players in the last home game against wolves and put some telling tackles in and deserves his run in the side and show stay in along with trundle ( upfront or on wing).

One of your best match reviews BB, well done. The player ratings will always be subjective and a point here or there will always be an argueing point.

I was suicidal with McIndoe in the first half, hanging around the midfield when he should have been wide on the chalk. McAllister can be a liability with the niggle in his game, cost us their first goal. Orr for all his huff and puff, still cannot distribute at this level.

You and bh-red differ on Noble, however I would say the following. The season GJ arrived, we lost 9 on the trot, then had a tremendous second half to the season. Noble bossed the midfield and played imo in his best and most effective position, center midfield. GJ brought in LJ and since that time Noble has never been given a chance in his best position. Since LJ's injury, I would have played Noble in his place, a position he excelled in for us as stated. As for being fit for 70 minutes a match, there are plenty of players who have been playing for less than a full match.

I struggle with a reason why our previously best central midfielder, was never given a chance to regain his position. A new contract seems unlikely from GJ and probably unwanted by Noble.

Trundle showed some class when introduced and his assist from the left should have been put away.

Back in September I said Stoke were big and strong from front to back. I said they were promotion candidates way back then and we would need our own bully boys on deck to compete. Ditto Watford, and against such teams Vasko should be one of the first names on the sheet, starting and not on the bench.

It's quite clear, but I'll explain-On leaving the stadium there was plenty of adverse comment and you'll also be aware that some fans booed the team off at half-time as denoted in another thread.I don't imply anything, I state it.

As someone else that was there, they got an ovation from the ones that were left and not those streaming from the ground or those that had already left, which, tbh, I can't understand based on the last twenty minutes or so.

Adebola can head a ball and has scored six goals with one assist which makes him our second highest scorer which isn't bad in 14 appearances.He'd head a lot more if the odd cross came in from time to time, perchance a through ball.

First of all he was introduced out of position and he tried and succeeded on a couple of occassions to get the thing down and pass it to a red shirt-a vast improvement on our first half showing.Secondly, you may not have noticed how he tracked back and assisted Orr in defence.Thirdly, if he was that awful how come our performance improved significantly or wasn't he in any way responsible?

No, but what was your opinion of our tactics and team shape in the first half?

It's not clear how you both know the adverse comments that were made by those who had already left and that those who stayed behind (who you failed to acknowledge in your report) gave the players a standing ovation. I'm always impressed by your reports not least that you remember each incident. However, I didn't know you were omnipresent :)

Adebola very rarely wins knock ons in the air. He reminds me of Showumni in that respect.

Johnson got the tactics wrong again. I assume that Brooker is injured although I see no mention of it anywhere?!? Otherwise Brooker must start and I would have played Byfield alongside him. Similarly, I would have played Sproule who was awful against Wolves but at least he has pace. This latter quality was something missing from our line up. Once again, Johnson changed the forward line around. This is undermining for the players left out and breeds indecision throughout the squad. We have looked a shadow of the side we were since Johnson started tinkering with the formations. Also, we have looked awful wehn we start the hoof it up to the big bloke tactics. Our strength is our on the ground football. Hoofing it up to Stoke is a mistake. Johnson made that mistake.

Noble played well for 10 minutes. Whenever Noble plays well, City play well. He is a class footballer but like all other games this season he disappeared after 60 minutes. I can't accept he made as important an impression over the 90 minutes as the entire back four.

One of your best match reviews BB, well done. The player ratings will always be subjective and a point here or there will always be an argueing point.

I was suicidal with McIndoe in the first half, hanging around the midfield when he should have been wide on the chalk. McAllister can be a liability with the niggle in his game, cost us their first goal. Orr for all his huff and puff, still cannot distribute at this level.

You and bh-red differ on Noble, however I would say the following. The season GJ arrived, we lost 9 on the trot, then had a tremendous second half to the season. Noble bossed the midfield and played imo in his best and most effective position, center midfield. GJ brought in LJ and since that time Noble has never been given a chance in his best position. Since LJ's injury, I would have played Noble in his place, a position he excelled in for us as stated. As for being fit for 70 minutes a match, there are plenty of players who have been playing for less than a full match.

I struggle with a reason why our previously best central midfielder, was never given a chance to regain his position. A new contract seems unlikely from GJ and probably unwanted by Noble.

Trundle showed some class when introduced and his assist from the left should have been put away.

Back in September I said Stoke were big and strong from front to back. I said they were promotion candidates way back then and we would need our own bully boys on deck to compete. Ditto Watford, and against such teams Vasko should be one of the first names on the sheet, starting and not on the bench.

thanks for your comments.

Having reviewed the highlights on the stuttering, freezing, stammering World (I though the quality was meant to be improving??) I would add:

McAllisters misdemeanour wasn't shown however he should have been sent off and as you say his indiscipline has and will cost us dear.

Noble played a key pass into Trundle who set up Orr/Elliotts effort that was cleared off the line and showed great calmness under pressure to do so.Hence the six for both was warranted based on their input into a vast improvement that lifted the other players.

I agree with GJ that we bottled the first half.

Elliott should have been penalised (Penalty) and booked had Siddibe not scored the frst goal after more indisciplined play by McAllister had conceeded the free kick.Elliott was more interested in holding Siddibe than marking him and didn't get off the ground.

Goal 2: If McAllister has stepped up Siddibe would have been offside but we were far to high up the pitch and flat.

Trundel pulled out of the header from McIndoe's cross when he saw the keeper coming.

McIndoe cleared one off the line.

GJ comment about Bottlers, whilst taken out of context by the EP (That's another journo down at Yeovil, next season!!), was correct and could have been equally appiled to periods or all of many games since Jan at QPR.

In terms of bottling it, I just don't mean not tackling, chickening out or trying, I mean not being brave from a quality and skill standpoint especially in the final third

It's not clear how you both know the adverse comments that were made by those who had already left and that those who stayed behind (who you failed to acknowledge in your report) gave the players a standing ovation. I'm always impressed by your reports not least that you remember each incident. However, I didn't know you were omnipresent :)

The adverse comments were made as I left the ground about 2/3 minutes after the final whistle so, to be pedantic, there were some in and some outside the ground.Even some during the game, particularly the first half..

Adebola very rarely wins knock ons in the air. He reminds me of Showumni in that respect.

If you watch Brook's the same applies and our best flick on merchants were (Deep Breath) Bas Savage & Mark McGammon and that's why Brooks did well next to both.Adebola is every bit as good as Brooks on the floor back to goal and for me, his first touch is better.All pales into insignificance when Brooks doesn't play and Adebola's done well for us and scored six times which is more than I expected given the lack of service to the front men. The problem with the flick on is that nobody gets past the ball and on to them

Johnson got the tactics wrong again. I assume that Brooker is injured

Correct on both

Otherwise Brooker must start and I would have played Byfield alongside him.

Byfield is our best impact player and of the eight goals he's score six have been as a sub.Leave him there.

Similarly, I would have played Sproule who was awful against Wolves but at least he has pace.

The problem is Chivs, I've been hearing that all season, so I'm amazed at two goals & three assists in 40+ appearances

This latter quality was something missing from our line up. Once again, Johnson changed the forward line around. This is undermining for the players left out and breeds indecision throughout the squad. We have looked a shadow of the side we were since Johnson started tinkering with the formations. Also, we have looked awful wehn we start the hoof it up to the big bloke tactics. Our strength is our on the ground football. Hoofing it up to Stoke is a mistake. Johnson made that mistake.

We've been hoofing it for three months or more and that's irrespective of personnel

Noble played well for 10 minutes. Whenever Noble plays well, City play well. He is a class footballer but like all other games this season he disappeared after 60 minutes. I can't accept he made as important an impression over the 90 minutes as the entire back four.

Noble was only on the pitch for 45 and I though he was involved for all of that in an alien position, in an underperforming team-See the point I made about his pass to Trundle to set up Orr's chance that was cleared off the line.

If Noble plays, it would be in the hole or in central midfield at Sheff and I've no issue with 4-5-1 with both him & Carle in there.

If we haven't got a right winger, give Plummer a chance or change the formation.If we need some pace up front recall JMW-It can't hurt, can it??

If we need some pace up front recall JMW-It can't hurt, can it??

Exactley what i posted a few months ago BB, JMW will offer us pace skill and not afraid to take men on and shoot, he could well be the final piece we're missing, he'll be awesome next to big dele or brooker IMO.

I agree mostly with the ratings and review however i feel skuse was one of the better players on the pitch and put in alot of tackles and effort. Also Bristol Boy commented on him being unable to play in a two man midfield when i feel he was one of the best players in the last home game against wolves and put some telling tackles in and deserves his run in the side and show stay in along with trundle ( upfront or on wing).

We've tried Skuse wide and it was a disaster.Trundle, may be able to play in the hole, but, unless we go 4-3-3 it's unlikely he'd be used a winger/wider player and if McIndoe can be "chained" to the touchline to stop his wandering minstrel act, we don't need a replacement left winger.

Skuse, for me, was born to play as a holding midfielder in front of the back three or four.He's better off with two other central midfielders who can bomb on and do all the creative attacking stuff while he does all the clearing up of loose balls, shielding the defence etc ala Makele.

That role is valuable and he could also man for man mark a quality playmaker if needed.

In a two with Elliott there is no creativity and his passing whilst safe will never open up a defence and he'll rarely score a goal.

Also plays well as a central defender next to a ball winner.

I rate Skusey but it's about horses for courses.

Exactley what i posted a few months ago BB, JMW will offer us pace skill and not afraid to take men on and shoot, he could well be the final piece we're missing, he'll be awesome next to big dele or brooker IMO.

On the basis we can't score less than nil or do worse than lose, I'd try it now!!

Dear CR,

I wouldn't bother but here you go:

Please find attached-one was in this thread

if you look at the other ratings your get a bigger picture of what most people think?.............note, one other rating!

http://www.clubfanzine.com/bristol_city/showNews.php?id=8080

based on 55 votes at time of posting, I'd think most would agree that Johnson/Elliott and Vasko were our best performers yesterday

This was in reply in the same thread:

"aa bcfc:

Why do you bother. You consistantly provide interesting match analysis which I look for and enjoy reading. You then have #### griping away. Makes me wonder why the sad sods read the reports in the first place "

It was very nice of him to say so.

Mention of the "general feeling" & "the bigger picture" is neither true or relevant as I don't claim, neither does the ST, that the R&R is representative or scientific.What it is, one can tell from the hits & replies on this, the ST & News Now, is thought provoking and read.

I'm at the gate and away games and frequently discuss it with people who agree & disagree.No problem with that and opinions are one of the things that makes football interesting.

I also like Graham's writing style & his way of expressing his opinions.

I asked you to point out where the net centre claim to be representative of Bristol City supporters and where 'my collaborators' have stated so. You've failed miserably on both counts. Additionally I do not know and have never spoken directly to those you suggest are my collaborators.

Your ratings are your own affair but please stick to facts and please do not maliciously attempt to discredit the net centre, a very well respected independent Bristol City website of many years standing.

Thank you.

Archived