IGNORED

Squad To Small

MATT BCFC

Think the main reason we have fell short is that we just don't have to strength in depth in our current squad. There are a many of players who if get injured, tired, suspended or have a run of bad form we just don't have anyone near the quality to replace them.

You compare the strength in depth of West Brom to our squad an there is a huge diffrence. When everyone is fully fit think we have one of the best starting elevens in the league just don't have enough quality in reserve.

Tiredness towards the end has cost us. A number of our players have look jaded an suffered a loss of form an we just havnt had good enough replacements to bring into the side.

The squad isn't too small, we have plenty of players on the books.

We could have done with a couple more quality players in the first XI - notably a striker.

Comparing our squad to a club who get £11m a season in parachute payments is a non starter really.

The other problem I think is the lack of reserve competitiveness. Didn't we win (or nearly win) the Pontins thingy? And yet, many of the players that shine at that level don't seem able to cut it at first team level.

Not sure what can be done though.

Think the main reason we have fell short is that we just don't have to strength in depth in our current squad. There are a many of players who if get injured, tired, suspended or have a run of bad form we just don't have anyone near the quality to replace them.

You compare the strength in depth of West Brom to our squad an there is a huge diffrence. When everyone is fully fit think we have one of the best starting elevens in the league just don't have enough quality in reserve.

Tiredness towards the end has cost us. A number of our players have look jaded an suffered a loss of form an we just havnt had good enough replacements to bring into the side.

We already have a large squad (30+). The level of Reserve football opposition is a problem, but the quality is there. Some of the senior squad pro's and a number of the younger pro's, could all offer options to fill in and freshen up the team, Trundle and Vasko are only two of a number of reserve players that could help the cause. In fact look at Palace they have actually improved through bringing in young fresh legs out of their reserve team.

I think our "wobble" has come at the wprong time to bring in youngsters. The pressure during the last 10 games may have been too much - if it's mid-season then I think that's different. Palace had nothing to lose when Warnock started using them.

My point wasnt that the squads to small as such just that its lacking strength in terms of quality outside the starting 11.

Take Stoke for example they had Amoebi on the bench! Hes better than any of our strikers lets be honest, an they brought him on last 5 mins!

My point wasnt that the squads to small as such just that its lacking strength in terms of quality outside the starting 11.

Take Stoke for example they had Amoebi on the bench! Hes better than any of our strikers lets be honest, an they brought him on last 5 mins!

Rubbish.

Ameobi is terrible, and not better than our strikers.

Talking to a steward on Saturday, and when we mentioned Ameobi he said, 'I'll tell you mate, he is absolute crap!'

and at 700k what has he done?

Nothing

He is shit and I would rather have Brooker than him.

The squad isn't too small, we have plenty of players on the books.

We could have done with a couple more quality players in the first XI - notably a striker.

Comparing our squad to a club who get £11m a season in parachute payments is a non starter really.

The squad can't be to small when we've had 6/7 players out on loan virtually all season.

What it is, with all due repect, is of average ability and that's been reflected in recent selections.

As you say, what we need is players a cut above, they'll cost money and the Chairman can afford it.Stoke, Hull no parachute payments there and crowd averages not much higher if at all.

Perhaps SL has concerns over GJ's Big Money signings in Sproule, Trundle, McIndoe & Carle because I do and so must GJ, when only one was selected to start on Saturday

and at 700k what has he done?

Nothing

Bednar's cost nothing but wages, ditto Frazer Cambell and four other players at Hull and Stoke-What've they done?

Two out of three will go up automatic because they had the stamina and quality to last the season.....No parachute payments at Hull or Stoke.

We signed Nick Carle for £600k.............What's he done and where was he Saturday?

In my opinion we've been undone on the Right Wing. When Ivan Sproule was able to run down that wing at pace - at the beginning of the season - the whole team was on fire. The rest of the squad seems fine in my opinion but we need to sign a strong proven quality - over a season !!!! - Right Winger.

The squad can't be to small when we've had 6/7 players out on loan virtually all season.

What it is, with all due repect, is of average ability and that's been reflected in recent selections.

As you say, what we need is players a cut above, they'll cost money and the Chairman can afford it.Stoke, Hull no parachute payments there and crowd averages not much higher if at all.

Perhaps SL has concerns over GJ's Big Money signings in Sproule, Trundle, McIndoe & Carle because I do and so must GJ, when only one was selected to start on Saturday

For all the quotes from the players about expecting to be challenging for promotion at the beginning of the season, I don't think the club thought we would be doing anything other than trying to consolidate, and I think the summer signings were planned on that basis (and to avoid a repeat of the 1998 fiasco). If we are still in the Championship next season, I would expect our summer signings to be of a higher standard. Having established ourselves as serious contenders, we should be able to attract better quality players to the squad. I support the club's decision not to throw caution to the wind in January, and while it's impossible not to want your club to do well and win every match, I think with careful planning we will be far better equipped for the Premier League in two or three years time. My personal view is that the club isn't ready for the Premier League and that too much too soon could be very dangerous for us. Better to build, as Reading did, and have a chance of staying there when we make it.

Bednar's cost nothing but wages, ditto Frazer Cambell and four other players at Hull and Stoke-What've they done?

Two out of three will go up automatic because they had the stamina and quality to last the season.....No parachute payments at Hull or Stoke.

We signed Nick Carle for £600k.............What's he done and where was he Saturday?

Difference being, Frazier Campbell was signed on a long term loan at the beginning of the season, even he took a while to settle in.

As you well know, Johnson did try and sign Campbell and a couple of others, whos names escape me, on loan term loans. Also I doubt we could have afforded Bednars wages and I very much doubt he would have came to City.

Sometimes BB you make perfect sense and I enjoy your match reviews. But sometimes, as in this case you tend to be a little too simplistic. True, Hull and Stoke do not have parachute payments but they are established championship sides which brings with it it extra TV revenue and the kudos associated with having been here a while longer than us.

So, they can afford more, and players will be more atttracted to them as they see them more likely to progress. Bear in mind that many so called experts had us down for a relegation fight this season. If I was a "good" player looking for a new club a relegation battle would not be on my shopping list.

Yes. But the point was someone moaning about Stoke signing "quality" like Ameobi, as ever you miss the point.

Yes Hull and Stoke brought in LONG TERM LOANS.

Long-Term - Good

Short-Term - pointless in most cases

No Hull or Stoke didn't have parachute payments, but they did have established championship squads which they have built on,

but you miss that point as well

For all the quotes from the players about expecting to be challenging for promotion at the beginning of the season, I don't think the club thought we would be doing anything other than trying to consolidate, and I think the summer signings were planned on that basis (and to avoid a repeat of the 1998 fiasco). If we are still in the Championship next season, I would expect our summer signings to be of a higher standard. Having established ourselves as serious contenders, we should be able to attract better quality players to the squad. I support the club's decision not to throw caution to the wind in January, and while it's impossible not to want your club to do well and win every match, I think with careful planning we will be far better equipped for the Premier League in two or three years time. My personal view is that the club isn't ready for the Premier League and that too much too soon could be very dangerous for us. Better to build, as Reading did, and have a chance of staying there when we make it.

I quite agree, and as for our January signings, well Adebola has scored what 6 goals in under 3 months or it could be 5 if the goal at Stoke was an own goal, so that was money well spent. As for Carle, well I think we're yet to see the best of him, next season will be his key season, indeed thinking further back Trundle played well on Saturday, first good performance for a long time, maybe we've found his correct position.

Archived