IGNORED

Objectives 1,2 & 3 All Acheived In First Season

redysteadygo1

Regardless of the PR that comes out of the "Gate" I would have thought that some set objectives would have read a bit like the following;

Season 1 - stay in league at all costs for, obvious reasons.

Season 2 - build to establish position in mid table.

Season 3 - continue progress with the hope that a top six position could be attained.

Now, I hope I do not come across as being pessimistic. I love my football and BCFC but looking at the reality of the season, and the bigger picture, the team that was assembled and the tactics and game plans employed have ensured our survival ( objective 1 ).

Due to a great deal of luck and living a charmed life we have gone and blown it and overacheived ( objectives 2 & 3 ).

I can't see us gaining promotion with the standard of team that was assembled just to stay in the league. We are just to slow to move the ball around the pitch, play football that carves holes in defences and create chances. Forget the debates over strikers, it is the failure to create chances that has let us down. Who knows how the strikers would have finished if more chances had come their way.

I'm not going to pass my opinions on individual players, as we all hold our own views, but I do still feel there will be a need to improve the team for next season, otherwise it could be a bit of a disaster, something we all want to avoid.

Although I hold my own opinions on who should have played and the shape of the team, GJ did get us to the position we are in and should be congratulated.

For next season I would like to see wholesale changes to midfield and up front in an effort to play decisive football that we have seen from many of the teams at AG this season. The defence, which has performed quite well this season, in spite of a lot of tinkering, will need to be looked at just for a continuation of improvement.

Then it's on to season 3.

Wholesale changes are not needed, just a few quality signings...most importantly a striker or 2, and more quality depth in midfield and defence.

Its a long season and its difficult for star players to maintain high standards for so long when they don't get a rest. Not once this season have we been able to sit back on a comfortable 3 goal lead in a game and give fringe players 15/20mins at the end.

And when youre not scoring enough, it really has a ripple effect on the rest of the team. The morale boost to a side (especially defenders) when they know they have men upfront and in midfield who can provide the quality finishing is vital to a successful side. The mental drain of 'wheres our next goal going to come from' is massive.

I have a good feeling people like Mcindoe, Elliott Sproule Trundle Carle will be back with avengence next time round.

Forget the debates over strikers, it is the failure to create chances that has let us down. Who knows how the strikers would have finished if more chances had come their way.

Interestingly enough, in the first half of the season I thought we created chances but due to lack of goals we criticised the strikers and then once we got a decent guy up front in January we seemed to forget about that style of play where we crossed the ball and created something and started lumping it. Could it be the visible tiring of Elliot and Johnson then lack of Johnson - possibly but I've definitely seen 2 very different halves to this season and it all looks a bit desperate all of a sudden. I'm putting a lot of it down to minds playing tricks on the players or mental fatigue but it must be frustrating for the managers as much as it is for us?!

Archived