IGNORED

Players At The Bottom End Of The Squad

Big Nose

GJ has said that those who haven't featured much this season will be on there way.

Who are these players and what does it mean for our youngsters?

My guess:

All those on loan inc JMW will be gone,

Enoch, Scotty, Cole and Wilson also,

clearing space in the ressies for the young uns.

What do you reckon?

"It means the bottom end of your squad will drop out and lads who haven't featured in the first team very much this season will be on their way.

GJ has said that those who haven't featured much this season will be on there way.

Who are these players and what does it mean for our youngsters?

My guess:

All those on loan inc JMW will be gone,

Enoch, Scotty, Cole and Wilson also,

clearing space in the ressies for the young uns.

What do you reckon?

"It means the bottom end of your squad will drop out and lads who haven't featured in the first team very much this season will be on their way.

When did he say that?

I haven't heard this either but it obvious it's going to happen as it the only way our club can improve, you have to move out a few who are deemed not good enough at this level and replace them with better, hopefully then the squad gradually improves and the club can progress.

In saying this should we luck out in the play-offs then we'll need about half a squad!

When did he say that?

It's in the WDP this morning, as an afterthought to his timely and genuine support for the players by saying, as he did last season that he will give those lads who get us promoted(if indeed they do), a crack at the higher level, ie the Premier League.

I suspect Henderson, Keogh,Scotty,Aggy Russell and possibly Artus fall into this catagory(ie bottom end, as he puts it)

He said it todays WDP

http://tinyurl.com/5bvw9o

Presumably those out of contract will go - because they would have been offered new deals by now if he wanted them, so

I believe the following are out of contract:

Byfield

Murray

Keogh

Noble

Showumni

Russell

Vasko - loan expires

We know Keogh and Showumni have fallen out of favour so they will be going, I can't see Murray, Russell, or Byfield being offered a new deal. Noble may get another if we stay in the Championship - as may Vasko. GJ may be waiting to see what div we are in with these 2.

I think the only other name that might be listed is Betsy but as he's not out of contract he could decide to stay.

If we go up I think all 7 above will go as GJ will need to make room for new players.

I think all the contracted players (including JMW) will be given a chance if we go up - and as they are already signed up with contracts giving them enhanced wages if we become a Premier club then it's highly unlikely that any would agree to go anyway !!

CR

I think we may keep Myrie-Williams and Skuse, becuase they are youngsters. JMW has proved he's good enough at league 1 level and Skuse has shown he is comfortable in this league, with a few years of progress as GJ likes to call it, they may become quality players

ps and Kevin Betsy too!

The issue there is Betsy has another year left on his contract according to GJ.

A lot will depend of promotion, however, assuming we are in the CCC:

Keogh, Betsy, Russell, Showunmi, Byfield & Murray......are nailed on.

JMW has had a years expereince at Tranmere and could be the answer to our lack of pace up front although GJ's not been agreat advocate of blooding the young un's.

In terms of players who have featured, Sproule needs to start performing & Brooker needs to start appearing to avoid an exit.A glance over his shoulder and some big games wouldn't harm David Noble either and GJ needs to make his mind up about Cole Skuse.

All in All, I reckon 8-12 out & about 5/7 in, based on previous seasons.

It won't be greatly different if we get promoted, however the quality of the incoming players will need to be far higher

It's in the WDP this morning, as an afterthought to his timely and genuine support for the players by saying, as he did last season that he will give those lads who get us promoted(if indeed they do), a crack at the higher level, ie the Premier League.

I suspect Henderson, Keogh,Scotty,Aggy Russell and possibly Artus fall into this catagory(ie bottom end, as he puts it)

Sorry but this " give them all a chance " is rather poor PR c**p !

What chance this season did Keogh ( young player et al ) Jeavons ( top scorer ) Russell ( best percentage of wins to starts ) JMW, Betsy get - to name just 5 - won't happen next season anymore than it did this - don't have a real problem with that but why say it if you don't do it ?

GJ decides they ain't up to it and farms them out - best to say nothing about loyalty IMO !

What chance this season did Keogh ( young player et al ) Jeavons ( top scorer ) Russell ( best percentage of wins to starts ) JMW, Betsy get - to name just 5 - won't happen next season anymore than it did this - don't have a real problem with that but why say it if you don't do it ?

GJ decides they ain't up to it and farms them out - best to say nothing about loyalty IMO !

What did you expect him to say on the eve of the play-offs? That he was going to offload the entire squad? JMW, who was clearly raw and inexperienced last season, was loaned out to get experience he desperately needed (far better experience than appearing against sub-Conference standard players in some of our reserve fixtures). And he will come back here to challenge for a place next season - anything wrong with that decision?

What did you expect him to say on the eve of the play-offs? That he was going to offload the entire squad? JMW, who was clearly raw and inexperienced last season, was loaned out to get experience he desperately needed (far better experience than appearing against sub-Conference standard players in some of our reserve fixtures). And he will come back here to challenge for a place next season - anything wrong with that decision?

If he does then absolutely not !

I just suspect otherwise and no problem with that either - just don't play the loyalty card too often !

100% correct and as for this being "news" GJ said exactly the same thing way back in January at a Q+A with Jed Pitman on the day we signed Dele Adebola.

However in case anyone thinks that there won't be changes, in GJ's first close season we signed 7 and brought in 2 more in January and this season we signed...... 7 pre season and brought in 2 more in January, so no prizes for guessing the likely outcome this summer then.

highly unlikely that Skuse will be going ANYWHERE, he's definately still got a LONG TERM FUTURE at the club, he's only been kept out of the team by the form of Elliott since joining, when he has come in he's been excellent as ever, and hasn't been dropped on performances but for tactical reasons.

VERY MUCH one of the most underated players at the club (but only by the fans)

players such as Murray, Enoch, Keogh, Russell, Henderson, Betsy, Noble, Vasko and Byfield will all likely to leave though and hopefully quality replacements incoming

It's safe to assume Betsy, Keogh, Russell, Showunmi are all nailed on to leave. Murray will hopefully be involved in some other capacity at the club.

Skuse can no longer be classed as a youngster. He really needs to kick on. My gut feeling is that he'll be given next season to establish himself or he will be on his way. Expect JMW to remain and go out on loan again.

Maybe's remain over Artus, Noble, Byfield and Vasko.

Keogh was alledgedly the architect of his own downfall,Russell had age against him,Betsy was shite last season, JMW needed more experience and opportunities at league1, rather than reserve level to attain consistency, and Jevo? Hasn't exactly shot Huddersfield to glory.

Jevo copped for plenty of abuse on here, and our top scorer this season is Byfield( ie goals in a City shirt), and I don't expect him to stay if we go up.

More saliently, Basso, Carey, Orr, McAllister, Johnson,Noble and McCombe have featured heavily and significantly this season, with Skuse and Murray also being involved.

I wonder if Tristan Plummer may be up to making a few championship starts next season, coming as a substitute etc? Has anyone seen him play for youths / reserves recently, if so, how is he developing?

Plummer has been in good form of late and should at least have his position in the reserves secured for next year.

As for 1st team call up's, not so sure whether Plummer or any of the other young pro's can expect to get much of a look in. Why should next year's campaign to either survive in the Premier League or again drive for promotion from the Championship be any different from this year. The stakes are always going to be high for City, so unless we choose to adopt a different approach by occasionally selecting from the larger squad, how can any opportunities for the younger players like Plummer come about.

Not meant to be negative, Plummer has great potential and i'm sure would give some of our opponents a run around. But, the most likely option for him to get 1st team football may be through a loan deal.

Archived