IGNORED

Bristol Half Marathon

dezgimed

Guest DanC

Yep I shall be running it, Well trying to anyway with Cityboy99 trying to keep up with me. We are running it to raise money for Meningitis UK in memory of someone.

Started my training last week and apart from a few aches and pains it's going OK. This will be my first one but I would say to anyone considering doing it that if they are not 100% committed then maybe it's not such a good idea. Take the training serious and get on with it now and don't leave it to the last minute cos otherwise I guess you could mess your body up and cause injury.

Most importantly though try and enjoy it, It's easier if you have someone else to train with to.

Yep I shall be running it, Well trying to anyway with Cityboy99 trying to keep up with me. We are running it to raise money for Meningitis UK in memory of someone.

Started my training last week and apart from a few aches and pains it's going OK. This will be my first one but I would say to anyone considering doing it that if they are not 100% committed then maybe it's not such a good idea. Take the training serious and get on with it now and don't leave it to the last minute cos otherwise I guess you could mess your body up and cause injury.

Most importantly though try and enjoy it, It's easier if you have someone else to train with to.

What do you mean trying to keep up your taking me round in a wheelbarrow so at least i should cross the finishing line before you :winner_third_h4h:

Guest DanC
What do you mean trying to keep up your taking me round in a wheelbarrow so at least i should cross the finishing line before you :winner_third_h4h:
Only if you buy me a beer afterwards.

What sort of training are you guys doing? I've read the guide on the site but it looks a bit tedious.

I've been running in the gym for about 2 years, I run 3 miles everyday, 3 mile time is about 21 mins although don't usually do long distance.

I had a heavy weekend (lack of sleep/boozing) and managed 7.5k in the gym yesterday very easily in about 35mins so I reckon I will be alright given 4 months training time.

Guest DanC
What sort of training are you guys doing? I've read the guide on the site but it looks a bit tedious.

I've been running in the gym for about 2 years, I run 3 miles everyday, 3 mile time is about 21 mins although don't usually do long distance.

I had a heavy weekend (lack of sleep/boozing) and managed 7.5k in the gym yesterday very easily in about 35mins so I reckon I will be alright given 4 months training time.

Your problem ahead of me then tbh, Although I did only start last week and I'm taking it easy and letting my body get used to it by running a bout a mile and a half a day plus at the weekend I go up the downs for a couple of hours.

Running in the gym is OK for getting your fitness up but it doesn't really compensate for all the different surfaces the half marathon has. Best way I'm finding is to get out in the great outdoors and run on a variety of surfaces, Hills, Straights, Down hill, Concrete and on grass.

I'm just doing what suits me and my body at the moment. I'm carrying a slight ankle problem that kicks in after about an hour of running so I'm taking it easy really

Your problem ahead of me then tbh, Although I did only start last week and I'm taking it easy and letting my body get used to it by running a bout a mile and a half a day plus at the weekend I go up the downs for a couple of hours.

Running in the gym is OK for getting your fitness up but it doesn't really compensate for all the different surfaces the half marathon has. Best way I'm finding is to get out in the great outdoors and run on a variety of surfaces, Hills, Straights, Down hill, Concrete and on grass.

I'm just doing what suits me and my body at the moment. I'm carrying a slight ankle problem that kicks in after about an hour of running so I'm taking it easy really

Yeh I've been out and about here and road running takes it outta ya. I'm going to add a 1-2 incline on the treadmill for now to allow for outdoor terrain.

Apparently the Bristol route is quite flat so should be ok. I will try to get up to 10-12km in the next few weeks and see what sort of time I can make.

Yeh I've been out and about here and road running takes it outta ya. I'm going to add a 1-2 incline on the treadmill for now to allow for outdoor terrain.

Apparently the Bristol route is quite flat so should be ok. I will try to get up to 10-12km in the next few weeks and see what sort of time I can make.

This website has a good few plans depending on what kind of finishing time you're going to be after - http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm Theres also some other stuff on there about training and preparation.

First bit of advice I would give would be to start road running as soon as possible-at least you're one long run of the week.

Treadmill training is good for getting the fitness up but it is a totally different ball game to running outside on the road. Also you want to be training on the same surface as the race course so there will be no surprises on the day.

In the gym you've no wind resistance, natural inclines etc. Because of this you won't use the same effort running 4 miles on the treadmill as you would running 4 miles outside. As a minimum you should stick the treadmill up to about 3% incline to try and mirror road running.

Hills are good and speed work will help you get your actually fitness up. As you say the Bristol half is on the whole pretty flat so you might not think that hills will be that beneficial but in building up muscle it works wonder - and imagine how easier mentally it is running a flat course after doing some hill training ;)

At the end of the day you should make sure that you're enjoying your training and do whatever you're happy doing as that's the only way to really keep motivation up.

Hope the training goes well and let us know how you're getting on :) I've got my first marathon in Stockholm at the end of the month so starting to brick it a bit at the moment!!

This website has a good few plans depending on what kind of finishing time you're going to be after - http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm Theres also some other stuff on there about training and preparation.

First bit of advice I would give would be to start road running as soon as possible-at least you're one long run of the week.

Treadmill training is good for getting the fitness up but it is a totally different ball game to running outside on the road. Also you want to be training on the same surface as the race course so there will be no surprises on the day.

In the gym you've no wind resistance, natural inclines etc. Because of this you won't use the same effort running 4 miles on the treadmill as you would running 4 miles outside. As a minimum you should stick the treadmill up to about 3% incline to try and mirror road running.

Hills are good and speed work will help you get your actually fitness up. As you say the Bristol half is on the whole pretty flat so you might not think that hills will be that beneficial but in building up muscle it works wonder - and imagine how easier mentally it is running a flat course after doing some hill training ;)

At the end of the day you should make sure that you're enjoying your training and do whatever you're happy doing as that's the only way to really keep motivation up.

Hope the training goes well and let us know how you're getting on :) I've got my first marathon in Stockholm at the end of the month so starting to brick it a bit at the moment!!

Cheers I'll have a look. To be fair once the bloody football season ends I can focus weekends on doing some longer outdoor runs as you suggest.

Any idea off the top of your head what a respectable half marathon time would be?

Cheers I'll have a look. To be fair once the bloody football season ends I can focus weekends on doing some longer outdoor runs as you suggest.

Any idea off the top of your head what a respectable half marathon time would be?

Anything sub 2 hours is good.

A lot of players in my footie team do it, some just through their natural football stamina, others with lots of training but most come around the 2 hour mark.

The other aspect of treadmill training that is always overlooked is that for every hill you climb you also have to run downhill and that really works your muscle around the shins (which often don't get worked too much).

Has bristol still got the long portway bit because you may not notice it in a car but there are some nasty long inclines on it.

Not blowing my own trumpet but

I did half marathon back in 1988 in 1hr 38mins :innocent06:

Being only 18 years old did help

was running 4min 20s for mile at the time

Not blowing my own trumpet but

I did half marathon back in 1988 in 1hr 38mins :innocent06:

Being only 18 years old did help

was running 4min 20s for mile at the time

Not bad, I can prob do a 4min20 mile, just the one though!

I did some work with the incline on earlier, bugger me was it tough. Hard months ahead.

I did it in 2005 and 2006 and the Portway is gruelling. Just goes on, and on, and on, and on. Then you think it's over, but it goes on a bit further. Then you turn around and have to come all the way back down it again. Cracking scenery but bloody knackering.

Doing it again this year and hoping to get below 1:30 after doing 2:02 and 1:50 in '05 and '06 respectively. I tend to run around Redcatch Park a lot or pound the Wells Road for an hour or two, the hills are definitely beneficial in the long run.

What a day today was. I would like to say a huge congratulations to all those finished and my heart is with those who didn't manage to finish. I didn't do a lot of training tbh due to lack of time due to work and personal stuff so my aim was to just finish and do it in under 3 hours.

I did it in 02:56:40 and finished 9474. Considering the serious lack of training and the fact I smoke 20 a day and like my kebabs I'm very pleased tonight. I think I could have done a 02:30 but stayed with my friend all the way around.

but stayed with my friend all the way around.

Oh that's it blame it all on me :disapointed2se: please do bear in mind I'm a overweight alcoholic :innocent06::surrender:

I'm just very happy to have finished even it was a little longer then expected. I would be definitely be doing again next year and ill do some proper training this time and not just turn up on the day. i done it in 02:57:53

Guest MaloneFM

A chum of your uncle Rog's did it in 1hr 49.

Said it was bloody hot and there were casualties all over the gaff. Mind you the hot dog van on College Green was spot on.

1:43 :winner_third_h4h: , was my first one and I was gutted about the sun, cos I prefer to run in rain.

Very tough saw two victims of the heat being tended to by the medics.

Portway does go on a long way, but I'd prepared myself for that, but everything past Queens Square was pain pain pain!

Was that old Uncle Rog running in the green 'mankini' Borat stylee? Bizarre.

Well done to everyone that gave it a go, regardless of completion, time, or experience. There was a good vibe about the place.

By the way, how far are the pre-season runs that City players do?

1:43 :winner_third_h4h: , was my first one and I was gutted about the sun, cos I prefer to run in rain.

Portway does go on a long way, but I'd prepared myself for that, but everything past Queens Square was pain pain pain!

Well done to everyone that gave it a go, regardless of completion, time, or experience. There was a good vibe about the place.

I've never felt pain like running over them cobbles on my feet before. That was sheer agony. The atmosphere was brilliant, Everyone urging each other on and the crowd really does help.

One downside I saw was there was to guys in Rhino outfits who were doing it to raise money for Rhinos or something and I saw him cut over onto the other side of the Portway. If he has raised any money from sponsorship he should be ashamed of himself. He not only cheated them he cheated himself.

Never once got out of breath which I was surprised by considering I must be one of the unfitest people going. Weather didn't really get to me, Just paced myself and didn't push myself to far. Bring on the next one!

much respect on a 1:43. Have not got below 1:55, either in a proper half-marathon, or on the 1st half of a full.

Guest MaloneFM

Fraid not Mozzers old chum however he did have to run slowly to stop old Sammy the snail having a peep around the corner to see what was going on.

Meat and two veg lady? I should cocoa!

much respect on a 1:43. Have not got below 1:55, either in a proper half-marathon, or on the 1st half of a full.

Cheers mucker, and muchos respectos for doing a full one! No way would I even try having experienced the pain of a 1/2!!!

How do you manage a full marathon? Training must be terribly boring?

Guest MaloneFM
How do you manage a full marathon? Training must be terribly boring?

I think you'll find they are now called Snickers, Mozzers and if you ask one of the young people they can neck a boxfull after a few jazz fags.

Archived