IGNORED

Vasko ... A Credible Forward Option In The Playoffs?

headhunter

Given the somewhat inept performance of Adebola at the weekend and the likely continued absence of Brooker do you think Vasko is a must to have on the bench at the very least for the upcoming games?

Unsolicited views on Adebola from a couple of non-regulars who went on Saturday were along the lines of ".... for a big bloke he [Adebola] did not win anything in the air / posed no threat".

Now, Adebola's goal record since joining does stack up well but his detractors on here say that the whoosh football that entered our game is geared around his style.

It is perhaps not a coincidence that in the last 2 games when we have got our game back by playing football on the ground Adebola has been found wanting.

Whilst Showumni has presence and must be as surprised as anyone at getting back into the matchday 16, my view is that Vasko has greater skill and is a more 'intelligent' footballer; I'd even go as far as to say he might be worth a shot from the start.

While we're about it viz. team selection, Palace NOW with the speedy Moses and Sinclair will pose a different threat compared to previous encounters - who's for Fontaine ahead of McCombe?

And finally, Orr had a very solid game on Saturday UNTIL Sproule came on. Our mercurial winger offers nothing in terms of defensive cover and offers nothing to Orr in terms of availability for the pass into space by hugging the line only 10 yards in front of probably our most improved player this season.

Given the somewhat inept performance of Adebola at the weekend and the likely continued absence of Brooker do you think Vasko is a must to have on the bench at the very least for the upcoming games?

Unsolicited views on Adebola from a couple of non-regulars who went on Saturday were along the lines of ".... for a big bloke he [Adebola] did not win anything in the air / posed no threat".

Now, Adebola's goal record since joining does stack up well but his detractors on here say that the whoosh football that entered our game is geared around his style.

It is perhaps not a coincidence that in the last 2 games when we have got our game back by playing football on the ground Adebola has been found wanting.

Whilst Showumni has presence and must be as surprised as anyone at getting back into the matchday 16, my view is that Vasko has greater skill and is a more 'intelligent' footballer; I'd even go as far as to say he might be worth a shot from the start.

While we're about it viz. team selection, Palace NOW with the speedy Moses and Sinclair will pose a different threat compared to previous encounters - who's for Fontaine ahead of McCombe?

And finally, Orr had a very solid game on Saturday UNTIL Sproule came on. Our mercurial winger offers nothing in terms of defensive cover and offers nothing to Orr in terms of availability for the pass into space by hugging the line only 10 yards in front of probably our most improved player this season.

I understand what you are saying but i have to agree with the other poster about changing anything at this stage would be madness. But thats not to say it aint an option if required to mix up Palaces centre backs if the need arises..

Changing a single thing at this point would be complete madness.

Agree with the original poster I am afraid (re: Fontaine not Vasko)

On Saturday, McCombe neede 6 touches just to control the ball, and looked by FAR the most uncomfortable on the ball(apart from Basso's transgression - or was it Ronaldinho like skill?).

Fontaine is quicker, much quicker, and has a better footballing brain than McCombe, better with the ball at his feet. As a matter of fact the only thing that McCombe has over Fontaine is his goal threat(okay and defensive set pieces).

Palace have changed(albeit slightly) since we played them. Anyone who saw the Stoke game on Sky OBJECTIVELY, will see that they have two VERY pacey wingers who they use as an outlet, and McCombe WILL be found wanting.

by the way does anyone actually know if they have extended their loans of the players incl Sinclair, as loans normally end after the 46 games are up, unless a specific clause has been inserted?

Disagree with most of that (original post).

Adebola is certainly not inept for one. Witness his goal at Blackburn for his technical ability.

Our best passing performance, Charlton away, saw him instrumental and very adept with the ball at his feet. Don't just fall into the stereotype of 'big strong forward must only be good in the air'.

You tend to find the infrequent visitors make knee jerk reactions based on one game. Those of us who have watched most games, will tell you that he is not a cart horse and Vasko is not even close to being considered a striker. I'd rather have boom boom up there if we were desperate.

Disagree with most of that (original post).

Adebola is certainly not inept for one. Witness his goal at Blackburn for his technical ability.

Our best passing performance, Charlton away, saw him instrumental and very adept with the ball at his feet. Don't just fall into the stereotype of 'big strong forward must only be good in the air'.

You tend to find the infrequent visitors make knee jerk reactions based on one game. Those of us who have watched most games, will tell you that he is not a cart horse and Vasko is not even close to being considered a striker. I'd rather have boom boom up there if we were desperate.

Agree. Adebola has made a significant difference. For a big, rangey target man (13 stone+, 6 foot 3), who isn't going to be pushed off the ball (sorry but Enoch looks weak by comparison) he has good feet and can pick out our players after holding the ball. Anyone who didn't see his goal for Coventry in the Cup or his quickness in the box when scoring for us, isn't really qualified to comment.

so basically you want to change half of our team (after a great performance up at sheffield and a 3-0 win against a decent preston side) for the biggest matches of the clubs history and players careers, pure madness.

i would possibly have vasko on the bench just incase we need that little bit more strength upfront towards the end, but starting him just wont work, hes not a striker and, what message would that send out to the strikers at our club

I'm amazed. We finally get back to a passing game which has brought with it excellent performances and now you suggest we go back to the dreadful Woosh football that we have had to endure for the previous 2 months.

Vasko is a sound up and coming centreback, but no centre forward. If we want another striker use Brooker or Byfield.. Our play in the recent poor spell was an embarssessment at times, and did not bring in the points,as we simply placed as many 6 footers onto the pitch and pumped the ball into the box at every occasion. Please please lets stick to our strengths and play the passing game we constantly refer to as our way of playing.

Trund's and Dele take on the responsibility to score the goals for the club at this exciting stage of the season.

Come on you reds.

don't CHANGE A THING!!!

Consistency is the key.... For 9/10 games we changed the team every week, and how many games did we win in that time? 1 and that was a very lucky win

As soon as we stick with the same team we win! So why would you want to change a team thats just won 3-0??

I can't see the starting 11 changing from Saturday although i would like Fontaine to play as i think he is a great player and I wonder if Sproule will make the bench as his game seems to have completly gone off.

I agree Vasko is a great player to put on the bench as he can, and has this year, provided cover for defence, attack and mid field if we get a lead and want to hold on.

The biggest dilema that GJ will have is Carle or LJ. We have missed LJ but Carle has had 2 good games. Do you change a winning team to bring back arguably our most influential player ???

Archived