IGNORED

This Doesn't Happen To Me ...

Rudolf Hucker

"This doesn't happen to me" were the words that were spinning around in my mind when I left AG last Tuesday after the Palace game. Supporting City over so many years has generally meant long spells of underachievement and disappointment interspersed with an occasional but welcome trip to Wembley or the Millennium for a minor trophy final or even a Div One playpff final.

My team plays hard and well in important games or semi-finals but just gets pipped by that scabby goal which the opposing centre half shins in. My team fails to turn up for big games and just loses out on goal difference finishing the season in 7th place - just missing out on the playoffs. My team loses the important match in extra time or loses the penalty shoot out. My team always find a way to let me down, so understand me when I say, "this doesn't happen to me".

Suddenly we're about to take part in what has become, arguably the most exciting and important game in the domestic calendar - "The Money Game". £60m at stake to the winner, a sell out crowd at the new Wembley Stadium and an audience of millions watching on TV around the world. Pinch me someone because "this doesn't happen to me".

Today, ticket touts are snapping up tickets to watch Bristol City - ahem my team and looking to sell them for upwards of £500 each. Now this must be a common occurrence for supporters of ManU, Arsenal or Liverpool but this simply doesn't happen to me.

These are heady times guys and we've got to make the most of them because they don't come around very often. I'm still living on memories of Division One the last time around and I need some new ones.

Winning at Wembley to earn promotion to the Premier League is not the sort of thing that generally happens to me. I think I've made that clear. But you know, I believe (see what I did then?) that this time things are going to be different. I've never feel so certain aout the outcome of a City match - you've guessed it: this doesn't happen to me. This time for once, I'm convinced that it IS going to bloody well happen for me. We are going up. There I've said it. No going back now.

For those that are lucky enough to be going to Wembley, sing your hearts out, be the 12th man and help the lads to carve their place forever in our history. For those that have missed out on tickets, my sincere sympathies. I know you're angry and hurting right now but I hope that you can turn your disappointment into positivity by next weekend and will the lads on to victory.

All aboard the showboat boys and girls! It's going to be an exciting week and by this time next week, we'll be supporting a team in the Prem. WE ARE GOING UP SAY WE ARE GOING UP!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Archived