IGNORED

What Saturday Means To Me

Martyn Hocking

First up, I've got a Wembley ticket and can only thank my fantastic brother for sorting this, as he is a season ticket holder, and I'm not.

For those of you thinking 'glory hunter', please don't. I haven't got a season ticket for the simple reason that I am forced by my work in London to live in the poxy south east of England and cannot justify the cost. £40 petrol per game on top of the price of the ticket makes every home match a £70 day out for me.

I have total sympathy for those who have missed out and cannot believe that true City fans like BTR (a former star of this forum) will not be there (see his message on the tickets sub-forum if you can help him out).

However, with less than 5 days to go to what is without doubt the biggest one-off game City have played in my life time, my thoughts are inevitably now turning to the day itself. Here are a few thoughts from me - feel free to add your own hopes/reflections:

1. This cannot and will not be a repeat of the fiasco that was Brighton at the Millenium Stadium. Different team, different manager, of course, but a different set of expectations from us too I believe. I left at the final whistle in Cardiff, furious at the spineless performance I had witnessed. On Saturday, even if we get stuffed 5-0 (which we won't), I will stay to salute a magnificent season by the whole BCFC first-team squad and coaching team. I genuinely thought we would finish 18th-20th this season at best and cannot put into words how proud I feel about the way we have performed.

2. Neither will this be a repeat of any of the LDV/ Freight Rover Trophy experiences. Yes, it was great to see City walk out at Wembley V Stoke etc but we all knew that the prize we were playing for was a small one in real terms. I never accepted that a Mickey Mouse trophy was the best we could hope to win, and I don't accept that now. We are better than that.

3. For me, and I guess for many of you, this will be a fantastic family day-out. My own family ties have been stretched out of shape in recent years by work commitments that have left me living far too far away from many of the people I care about. Football is the glue that holds us together in a way, and the thought that I will be sharing the day with my brother, two nephews, my cousin and his two lads gives the event special meaning.

4. I have a part to play and I hope I play it. I am guilty, way too often, of sitting on my hands on the big occasion, too wrapped up in my own fears and hopes to really give the team the vocal support I know that I should. As it happens, I have a ticket in the 'singing section' so there is no excuse this time - if I want 1-11 on the pitch to give their all, I as the 12th man, have to do the same.

5. We are on the verge of the 'big time' and already we are experiencing growing pains on this forum as loyal supporters find themselves jostling with newcomers for match tickets. The very idea that the term 'glory hunter' could be used in association with supporting BCFC tells you how far we have come. Where was the glory in our descent into Hell in the early 80s - and indeed in many of our performances since then? If people are fighting over tickets to watch BCFC, that is fantastic, but I know that will be no consolation to those who have missed out this time. If we go up, things will only get 'worse' in this respect, but I'd rather fight for a ticket to see us play top flight football, than be able to pick my seat at leisure to watch us in the lower leagues.

6. I believe, I genuinely believe, that this is the most impressive City unit (team and management) that I have ever watched. My mind may be playing tricks on me but I cannot remember ever watching a City team play better passing football - or seen a City team play with such balls when their backs are against the wall. To beat Palace home and away under the most intense pressure, scoring 4 fantastic goals in the process, simply isn't something I have associated with BCFC - until now.

7. This may sound crap, but I actually won't be that upset if we lose on Saturday. I would be content to see us take on the likes of Birmingham, Reading et al next season. In that respect there is no down side to our biggest game for me. If we 'lose' we have still had a fantastic run and will come back stronger. If we win - well let's just say it will be the end of a very long road for me, and the start of a great new adventure for us all.

Well_red

Great post(which is something rare at the moment)

I will be devasted if we do lose(have not contemplated this just yet), but when looking back on it it will think, WOW what a hell of a season. At this stage of the week when we played Palace i was a barrell of nerves. But at this present time, i'm like a child waiting for christmas. I'm sure the nerves will take over later on in the week mind you.

Whatever happens, the Boys have done us proud. And for that i am gratefull.

First up, I've got a Wembley ticket and can only thank my fantastic brother for sorting this, as he is a season ticket holder, and I'm not.

For those of you thinking 'glory hunter', please don't. I haven't got a season ticket for the simple reason that I am forced by my work in London to live in the poxy south east of England and cannot justify the cost. £40 petrol per game on top of the price of the ticket makes every home match a £70 day out for me.

I have total sympathy for those who have missed out and cannot believe that true City fans like BTR (a former star of this forum) will not be there (see his message on the tickets sub-forum if you can help him out).

However, with less than 5 days to go to what is without doubt the biggest one-off game City have played in my life time, my thoughts are inevitably now turning to the day itself. Here are a few thoughts from me - feel free to add your own hopes/reflections:

1. This cannot and will not be a repeat of the fiasco that was Brighton at the Millenium Stadium. Different team, different manager, of course, but a different set of expectations from us too I believe. I left at the final whistle in Cardiff, furious at the spineless performance I had witnessed. On Saturday, even if we get stuffed 5-0 (which we won't), I will stay to salute a magnificent season by the whole BCFC first-team squad and coaching team. I genuinely thought we would finish 18th-20th this season at best and cannot put into words how proud I feel about the way we have performed.

2. Neither will this be a repeat of any of the LDV/ Freight Rover Trophy experiences. Yes, it was great to see City walk out at Wembley V Stoke etc but we all knew that the prize we were playing for was a small one in real terms. I never accepted that a Mickey Mouse trophy was the best we could hope to win, and I don't accept that now. We are better than that.

3. For me, and I guess for many of you, this will be a fantastic family day-out. My own family ties have been stretched out of shape in recent years by work commitments that have left me living far too far away from many of the people I care about. Football is the glue that holds us together in a way, and the thought that I will be sharing the day with my brother, two nephews, my cousin and his two lads gives the event special meaning.

4. I have a part to play and I hope I play it. I am guilty, way too often, of sitting on my hands on the big occasion, too wrapped up in my own fears and hopes to really give the team the vocal support I know that I should. As it happens, I have a ticket in the 'singing section' so there is no excuse this time - if I want 1-11 on the pitch to give their all, I as the 12th man, have to do the same.

5. We are on the verge of the 'big time' and already we are experiencing growing pains on this forum as loyal supporters find themselves jostling with newcomers for match tickets. The very idea that the term 'glory hunter' could be used in association with supporting BCFC tells you how far we have come. Where was the glory in our descent into Hell in the early 80s - and indeed in many of our performances since then? If people are fighting over tickets to watch BCFC, that is fantastic, but I know that will be no consolation to those who have missed out this time. If we go up, things will only get 'worse' in this respect, but I'd rather fight for a ticket to see us play top flight football, than be able to pick my seat at leisure to watch us in the lower leagues.

6. I believe, I genuinely believe, that this is the most impressive City unit (team and management) that I have ever watched. My mind may be playing tricks on me but I cannot remember ever watching a City team play better passing football - or seen a City team play with such balls when their backs are against the wall. To beat Palace home and away under the most intense pressure, scoring 4 fantastic goals in the process, simply isn't something I have associated with BCFC - until now.

7. This may sound crap, but I actually won't be that upset if we lose on Saturday. I would be content to see us take on the likes of Birmingham, Reading et al next season. In that respect there is no down side to our biggest game for me. If we 'lose' we have still had a fantastic run and will come back stronger. If we win - well let's just say it will be the end of a very long road for me, and the start of a great new adventure for us all.

Well_red

What a wonderful post. I totally and utterly echo evreything you have said.

At a time when every other post is a negative one, this puts things into the perspective they need to be in. Its our club we need to be concentrating on and giving 100% positivety.

Now is our time, now is our chance. Lets grasp it together in unity. The chance may not come along again for a long time.

Thanks again for a great read, enjoy your day on Saturday, lets hope we're all smiling on saturday night.

Always believe !!!

Well_red

Great post... I too will be shedding a tear win or lose for the team and what we have become this year... I have never been prouder of the football than this season. Ok we could have scored more goals etc but in some ways that makes what has happened even more impressive. This season has been like something out of Championship Manager... Unreal.

Point 4 in particular rings true to me. I am also one of those who during games that count sit on my hands terrified... Even if we are 3 up... Not on Saturday. I don't care where I am SAT (Block 532)... I'm going to sing for the boys, sing for the city and sing for the past and future... Nothing will stop me...

Spot on.

Among all the arguments about tickets and 'plastic' fans, its good to remember what the day is all about. No matter who wins I'm pretty sure both teams are just chuffed to be in the hat for promotion, and our Hull counter-parts are no doubt feeling like it's the run up to Christmas as well.

Having said that.... I hope we ****** stuff 'em!!!!!!

Well_red

I thinking about number 7

and its so true i will not be that dissapointed if we lose, after brighton yes because i didnt want to watch league one crap for another season but the standard of the championship is very good and is a great watch

I think if we win I'll be a wreck... proper big girls blouse emotional... Going with my brother - to have him by my side listening to the roar of the city seconds after the whistle in which we've won... (shivers)... can't picture it yet... BUT... It's so close... It's very possible we may hug each other for the first time in decades...

Brilliant post Well Red.

I was just having a conversation with my Gas housemate, and I said that no matter what happens at Wembley, just to be in this position, when hardly anyone would have said we were capable of doing this (and on merit, may I add), is just beyond belief.

Maybe this lack of belief at the start of the season has something to do with all the years of despondency and year after year of mediocrity, punctuated by the odd promotion or Mickey Mouse Mug final, leading us to believe in nothing higher than retaining our place in the CCC, and maybe then pushing on from there, I don't know.

All I can say is that no matter what the result on Saturday, I will give the team and the backroom staff a massive send off after the match for making this the most enjoyable season in all the years I have been supporting them.

Great post...

And to think that if we win we will be in the same division as the European champions! Although we will take a lot of stick next year from pundits etc I believe Gary Johnson will pull off another miraculous season. If we lose then another e3xciting season like this one would be in prospect...either way we have to be proud of the achievements and enjoy the day on Saturday. I've been watching City for decades and although we may have had better individual players at times I cannot remember a time when the team, management, fans and board were so focussed on getting success.

Archived