IGNORED

Ashton Gate 8

MATTBCFC

Was speaking with Ray Cashley last night - I asked if he ever gets invites back to the club, to which he simply said 'no'. I think it would have been a lovely gesture to invite all the team from the last promotion to the top flight in '76....but if not all at least the Ashton Gate 8 that so unselfishly saved our club

back in 1982...

Was speaking with Ray Cashley last night - I asked if he ever gets invites back to the club, to which he simply said 'no'. I think it would have been a lovely gesture to invite all the team from the last promotion to the top flight in '76....but if not all at least the Ashton Gate 8 that so unselfishly saved our club

back in 1982...

I was thinking about that the other day, thought it would have been a great gesture from the club.

back in 1982...

Back in 1973 Ray actually scored against Hull City, after kicking almost the full-length of the pitch for the ball to bounce up and over his opposite number.

Back in 1973 Ray actually scored against Hull City, after kicking almost the full-length of the pitch for the ball to bounce up and over his opposite number.

Was it really 1973??? I remember it like it was yesterday! Oh well, off for me bed bath now!

But is he a "real" fan? How often has he been to AG this season?? ;-)

Yeah he was so rich he could afford to tear up his contract, if he was a proper fan he'd have had a season ticket...

Yeah he was so rich he could afford to tear up his contract, if he was a proper fan he'd have had a season ticket...

exactly.

despite what happened in the past, if they wanted a ticket, join the queue's like the rest of us.

exactly.

despite what happened in the past, if they wanted a ticket, join the queue's like the rest of us.

Please tell me you are joking !!!?

If it weren't for them - you me and 36,005 other people would have NO club to follow on Saturday.

Tight fisted bunch of c0cks I say....how much would it cost them to invite the 8 people that saved our club...£800 ? Its a disgrace. End of.

Was an article in the paper the other day about Trevor Tainton being unable to get a ticket for the final.

Lord I hope that's not true.

Surely the club would look after the 8....even wheel them around in front of the City fans..

I'd love to see them and Tom Ritchie, Gerry Gow Alan Dicks etc...This is a very big day for them too

exactly.

I see it says on your profile that you've supported City since birth. Well, I haven't, and if a glory-hunting

Cockney bustard like me knows the significance of the Ashton Gate Eight then you bloody well ought to as well.

You're a ****.

I see it says on your profile that you've supported City since birth. Well, I haven't, and if a glory-hunting

Cockney bustard like me knows the significance of the Ashton Gate Eight then you bloody well ought to as well.

You're a ****.

Well

You're a ****.

Sorry....the above was supposed to say well said...!!!!

Since the club and I believe players get complimentary tickets, I'm sure something could have been done.

As far as I'm concerned they should get a seat in the directors box for any game they like.

Be a good gesture - if you're reading this Colin ? And if we DO go up the publicity would be nice too.

Guest MaloneFM
No

I must be having a stroke. I actually agree with the grumpy swine. They all went on to play elsewhere. We forked out on shares and kept on paying every week to keep them going.

Do you really think no one would have bought the ground and kept the club going? Football clubs are not companies. They don't just die.

They absolutely must be offered the chance to attend the match somehow. I liken it to my university's American football team. In 1971 we had a tragic plane crash that killed most of the team, all but one of the coaches, and a number of prominent supporters. Those who helped keep the program alive in the years that followed are treated like gods by our community. We would be appalled if Marshall made it to a national championship game and they were not given free admission! The Ashton Gate 8 are the same type of fellows in my opinion; they should never be forgotten and should always be treated like gold. Hopefully the club (or supporters) will do the right thing.

I must be having a stroke. I actually agree with the grumpy swine. They all went on to play elsewhere. We forked out on shares and kept on paying every week to keep them going.

Do you really think no one would have bought the ground and kept the club going? Football clubs are not companies. They don't just die.

and when they "tore up" their contracts despite not getting their full money, they still got an amount of money that at the time was still a significant amount of money for the normal working man and also the significant proceeds (around 10k plus each) from the benefit match

It's not to say that we weren't all grateful at the time for what they did, but it's not like they did it out of choice, they basically got pressured into it with the basis that the club would have folded without them.

based on what they did in 82, they deserve our thanks, but they aren't charity cases who should be given freebies left right and centre for the rest of thier life in my eyes.

Don't get me started on the Ashton Eight :bruce_h4h: . 6 of them are genuine club legends, having helped us get promoted and been stars of the golden era of the late 70s.

By 1982 they were overpaid, underachieving shadows of the players they were in the top flight. They were the core of the the team that delivered 3 relegations for God's sake! The reason they were told to go was that if the club was to survive, they were the deadwood that would have to be replaced with better value players.

As Malone rightly said the club would have survived if they handn't ripped up their contracts. It was just that the accountants recognised that they were bleeding the club dry and had to address that situation. So if they hadn't ripped up their contracts and they thought that the club would fold they woldn't have got Jack anyway. : :disapointed2se:

Whether certain players deserve tickets because of there status at the club is another matter. I understand that Marcus Stewart is a big supporter. Does his contribution as a player merit a free ticket? After all he is geneally cited in the hand grenade incident that was the catalyst that sparked the Johnson Revolution :closedeyes: Two tickets for the Royal Box I would say :noexpression:

Archived