IGNORED

Leicester To Make Bid For Nicky Maynard

Barnsley-Tyke

Sven Goran Eriksson is preparing a £3million bid for Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard.

Leicester boss Eriksson has earmarked Maynard as a top target this summer and will test the Robins' resolve with a firm offer.

Eriksson has been assured of major funds by the Foxes board and wants the 24-year-old to spearhead his charge for the Premier League next season.

Maynard only returned for the Robins in February after a long-term knee injury but has already scored six goals this season.

And Eriksson will offer the former Crewe forward a lucrative salary in a bid to prise him away from Bristol.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Nicky-Maynard-of-Bristol-City-wanted-by-Leicester-s-Sven-Goran-Eriksson-article729382.html#ixzz1KrI47eIz

Why would he play for Leicester?

They have rich owners who will plow money into the club and will be the QPR of next season.

They are a bigger club than us with a better following.

They have a well seasoned manager in charge who quite clearly has the minerals to have them heading in the right direction.

They have a better chance of promotion than us next season with some of the players they have had this season albeit on loan but can you imagine svens contacts?

The only thing that would work in our favour of course is the fact they are still in the CCC like ourselves...

But saying it's a sideways move? Get real.

With a year left on his contract, we aint getting more than 4 million for him thats for sure. If its true, thats not a bad opening fee, talk of fees in the region of £7m is laughable.

Nice to see that somebody else is in the real world. Even the £4M will probably include conditional fees based on performance or promotion, and we'll doubtless add in a sell-on clause. If you look at it in a hard business sense, Lansdown gave Johnson an awful lot of money to spend on players, and yet he has only managed to buy one player who can command any sort of fee, and if we wait much longer, even his value will be £0. City is changing, no longer will we pretend that we are a massive Club, buying players for the sake of it (Clubs in bag), signing a luxury keeper when you already have two good ones, turning down offers because £4mill is peanuts, and continually expecting our Chairman to fund us to the tune of £10M+ per year, when the managers waste so much of that cash.

Still, look on the bright side, with £3 million we can pay the wages of James, Hunt, Stewart, Johnson & Clarkson, and just about get change.

Sven Goran Eriksson is preparing a £3million bid for Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard.

Leicester boss Eriksson has earmarked Maynard as a top target this summer and will test the Robins' resolve with a firm offer.

Eriksson has been assured of major funds by the Foxes board and wants the 24-year-old to spearhead his charge for the Premier League next season.

Maynard only returned for the Robins in February after a long-term knee injury but has already scored six goals this season.

And Eriksson will offer the former Crewe forward a lucrative salary in a bid to prise him away from Bristol.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Nicky-Maynard-of-Bristol-City-wanted-by-Leicester-s-Sven-Goran-Eriksson-article729382.html#ixzz1KrI47eIz

Who?

£3 million is about £1.5-2 million short of a realistic offer, and that is presuming he doesnt sign an extension, which if he does will see the fee jump again.

The club would be mad to accept that but, more importantly, 'lucrative salary' or not Maynard would be mad to consider it. If he doesnt get his Premier League move this summer then he almost certainly will next summer after another season here.

Nice to see that somebody else is in the real world. Even the £4M will probably include conditional fees based on performance or promotion, and we'll doubtless add in a sell-on clause. If you look at it in a hard business sense, Lansdown gave Johnson an awful lot of money to spend on players, and yet he has only managed to buy one player who can command any sort of fee, and if we wait much longer, even his value will be £0. City is changing, no longer will we pretend that we are a massive Club, buying players for the sake of it (Clubs in bag), signing a luxury keeper when you already have two good ones, turning down offers because £4mill is peanuts, and continually expecting our Chairman to fund us to the tune of £10M+ per year, when the managers waste so much of that cash.

Still, look on the bright side, with £3 million we can pay the wages of James, Hunt, Stewart, Johnson & Clarkson, and just about get change.

Chappers...you talk so much sense, it's refreshing to see.

Although, I do believe SL still needs to 'splash the cash' if he wants Prem footie with his new Stadium. We shouldn't expect it, but i think it will come as quiet a shock to the system to many of our fans. The expectations really need to be lowered. I've always felt our fans expectations have been too high, with the silly 'Sleeping Giant' label. The extra pressure on the players to perform, I believe, has held us back in the past. Perhaps with lower expectations, they would be able to play with greater freedom and a more relaxed approach...maybe :dunno:

Maynard will not be going to any club outside the Premier League.

he has clearly said to fellow players he wishes to ply his trade in the Premier League next season.

i hope he signs for us,with a get out clause so the fee is realistic £6m or a bidding war would be nice,.

one thing for sure he does not see himself with us next season.

he has clearly said to fellow players he wishes to ply his trade in the Premier League next season.

i hope he signs for us,with a get out clause so the fee is realistic £6m or a bidding war would be nice,.

one thing for sure he does not see himself with us next season.

Who on earth is going to splash £6m on a striker who has 1 year left on his contract and has just come back from a serious knee injury? His contract would be worth a fraction of that value anyway.

And I'm sorry but I don't believe for one second a player would openly tell his team mates he wants to leave, if he was that open about leaving he would already be on the transfer list. Sounds all too much like bollocks to me.

Who on earth is going to splash £6m on a striker who has 1 year left on his contract and has just come back from a serious knee injury? His contract would be worth a fraction of that value anyway.

And I'm sorry but I don't believe for one second a player would openly tell his team mates he wants to leave, if he was that open about leaving he would already be on the transfer list. Sounds all too much like bollocks to me.

Yep, but that's this place for you

Chappers...you talk so much sense, it's refreshing to see.

Although, I do believe SL still needs to 'splash the cash' if he wants Prem footie with his new Stadium. We shouldn't expect it, but i think it will come as quiet a shock to the system to many of our fans. The expectations really need to be lowered. I've always felt our fans expectations have been too high, with the silly 'Sleeping Giant' label. The extra pressure on the players to perform, I believe, has held us back in the past. Perhaps with lower expectations, they would be able to play with greater freedom and a more relaxed approach...maybe :dunno:

The other point is that we will be handicapped by the over-spending, or bad spending of both Johnson and Coppell and our lack on investing in the future. Next season we have to somehow survive, and are looking to cut costs, whilst employing some modest players on high wages, and starting youth development virtually from scratch. Some of us were warning of problems ahead as Johnson kept on buying and borrowing very ordinary players, many of whom added nothing to the squad other than a wage bill, and most of whom have no re-sale value. We are there now, SL has finally realised that success is based more on quality of spending than quantity, and quite rightly, wants better value. I think that the time for 'investing' is when we get the new stadium, to really generate a positive buzz. What we need to do in preparation is to mould a side that is capable of surviving, and has a number of developing players that will be really ready in 2/3 years time, so that we can target the spending in key areas, and don't have to buy a whole new team that will take months to gel.

Quite a tall order, many will be disappointed that we are not spending millions and will not be realistic challengers, but I honestly cannot see an alternative in the short term. And as you say, relieved of this burden of high expectation, maybe the players will relax, and the Manager will feel more comfortable in trying out younger players.

All this here about James, his distribution, and is he better than DG or SH is all a bit irrelevant. The key questions should be-

Did we actually need an experienced keeper - No

Did his presence make a significant difference to league position - Probably not

Would the money have been better spent strengthening the weaker parts of the team - Yes

one thing for sure he does not see himself with us next season

wait and see

With a year left on his contract, we aint getting more than 4 million for him thats for sure. If its true, thats not a bad opening fee, talk of fees in the region of £7m is laughable.

Well said Screech. I'd imagine if he goes it will be for about 4 million. I do think if he wants to leave though Maynard would be hoping for a PL move, although if the money's right...

The other point is that we will be handicapped by the over-spending, or bad spending of both Johnson and Coppell and our lack on investing in the future. Next season we have to somehow survive, and are looking to cut costs, whilst employing some modest players on high wages, and starting youth development virtually from scratch. Some of us were warning of problems ahead as Johnson kept on buying and borrowing very ordinary players, many of whom added nothing to the squad other than a wage bill, and most of whom have no re-sale value. We are there now, SL has finally realised that success is based more on quality of spending than quantity, and quite rightly, wants better value. I think that the time for 'investing' is when we get the new stadium, to really generate a positive buzz. What we need to do in preparation is to mould a side that is capable of surviving, and has a number of developing players that will be really ready in 2/3 years time, so that we can target the spending in key areas, and don't have to buy a whole new team that will take months to gel.

Quite a tall order, many will be disappointed that we are not spending millions and will not be realistic challengers, but I honestly cannot see an alternative in the short term. And as you say, relieved of this burden of high expectation, maybe the players will relax, and the Manager will feel more comfortable in trying out younger players.

All this here about James, his distribution, and is he better than DG or SH is all a bit irrelevant. The key questions should be-

Did we actually need an experienced keeper - No

Did his presence make a significant difference to league position - Probably not

Would the money have been better spent strengthening the weaker parts of the team - Yes

I do completely agree with your sentiments Chappers. We unfortunately fell into a big trap, and are now reaping what we sowed. Unfortunately we seem to have lost all that momentum.

I think the biggest challenge the Club have ahead of them, is keeping the faithful fans happy and not losing them.

With a Challenging season ahead, no big spending ( apparantly ) and the recession set to continue, supporters are going to be hard to please, and getting them through the turnstyles in numbers will be a tough challenge for the Club.

We need to keep the interset going, otherwise this new stadium planned is going to be empty.

Why would he play for Leicester?

They have rich owners who will plow money into the club and will be the QPR of next season.

They are a bigger club than us with a better following.

They have a well seasoned manager in charge who quite clearly has the minerals to have them heading in the right direction.

They have a better chance of promotion than us next season with some of the players they have had this season albeit on loan but can you imagine svens contacts?

The only thing that would work in our favour of course is the fact they are still in the CCC like ourselves...

But saying it's a sideways move? Get real.

Yes, agree with this. Leicester are a good club with a good manager and wealthy backers.

Maynard isn't good enough for the Premier League, so a move to one of the better Championship clubs is probably the best he can hope for.

Archived