IGNORED

Snap His Hand Off ?

glynriley

This would be a terrific deal if it were true. Nicky may have scored some great goals and been our best player at one time, but this season he has not shown the form and technique that was there prior to his injury. IMO he has been very lucky to be selected week in week out and keep Pitman out of the team, who I would hazzard a guess may have scored as many if not more given the same amount of time on the pitch.

The manager says that Maynard plays instead of Pitman because he better suits the lone striker role. I would like this put to the test myself as I have always thought Pitman sharper in and around the box and if Maynard were to go then perhaps Pitman might get the chance to prove his doubters wrong.

In any event though, whether it were to signal a new chance for Pitman or not, I do not think Maynard's departure would be a disaster as we are not looking very threatening up front at the moment.

Problem is Riaz, that you don't get much for a million these days. For that extra bit of class clubs will pay twice or three times for that. Many 'average' Championship players go for around a million and a quality centre back alone would cost twice that. There are bargains out there out course but they are few and far between.

Problem is Riaz, that you don't get much for a million these days. For that extra bit of class clubs will pay twice or three times for that. Many 'average' Championship players go for around a million and a quality centre back alone would cost twice that. There are bargains out there out course but they are few and far between.

I'm not poo-pooing 4m. I just think City could get more that that if Fulham are publically saying they'd offer that amount. That sounds like an opening offer.

maybe so - you could be right.

But I'd rather the club get this sorted one way or the other - rather than gambling on what fulham might pay....

If Maynard has said he's not signing, taking the money (and negotiating it up as much as possible, obviously) would be sensible.

If he's willing to sign, don't.

I suspect if this fictional offer were real it would be accepted because it's a realistic Prem move I imagine the player would want.

In an ideal world this is how I would like it to pan out. Sell NM for 4M, buy Billy Sharp or another proven championship goalscorer for 3M or less, spend 1M on a top creative midfielder to partner Kilkenny then a few hundred thousand on left winger. That way we only have a net loss of a few hundred thousand which is what i'd expect it to be in January when we are in a relegation battle and in need of a player or two.

Would be great but cant see it coming to fruition.

In an ideal world this is how I would like it to work. Sell NM for 4M, buy Billy Sharp or another proven championship goalscorer for 3M or less, spend 1M on a top creative midfielder to partner Kilkenny then a few hundred thousand on left winger. That way we only have a net loss of a few hundred thousand which is what i'd expect it to be in January when we are in a relegation battle and in need of a player or two.

Clubs don't get quality players on the cheap. No way would City get a decent quality midfielder for less than 2m. Same applies to left wingers. You wouldn't get a decent one for a 'few hundred thousand', you'd get an average one.

Quality players, particularly proven ones cost significantly more than you seem to think. 4m would help but would't go far.

One optimistic thought is that McInnes might get a decent player at a reasonable price from Scotland. There are definitely bargains to had from the SPL.

Clubs don't get quality players on the cheap. No way would City get a decent quality midfielder for less than 2m. Same applies to left wingers. You wouldn't get a decent one for a 'few hundred thousand', you'd get an average one.

Quality players, particularly proven ones cost significantly more than you seem to think. 4m would help but would't go far.

One optimistic thought is that McInnes might get a decent player at a reasonable price from Scotland. There are definitely bargains to had from the SPL.

Albert Adomah?

There are players out there in the lower divisions. Theres surely a creative player in League 1 who wouldn't cost more than 1M and a left winger for 500-800k is possible.. This club hasn't found enough gems over the years, Albert has proven it's well worth looking into as it makes you huge profit in the future and gets the best out of the player as he's just loving playing at a higher level.

Brett Pitman is a championship striker and I think we signed him for about 800k in January which is when prices are usually higher than in the summer..

In an ideal world this is how I would like it to pan out. Sell NM for 4M, buy Billy Sharp or another proven championship goalscorer for 3M or less, spend 1M on a top creative midfielder to partner Kilkenny then a few hundred thousand on left winger. That way we only have a net loss of a few hundred thousand which is what i'd expect it to be in January when we are in a relegation battle and in need of a player or two.

Would be great but cant see it coming to fruition.

Billy Sharp has a buy out clause for 1.75 mil i believe but he is very similer to Pitman. I would spend 3 million on a left back , a centre half , a midfielder and a big striker ( if stead is not fancied by DM )

Albert Adomah?

Yep, he was definitely a bargain but he was playing in Division Two and there was no guarantee that he'd be able to make the step up. That fact would have made a big difference to his price tag. Clubs aren't willing to essentially gamble on unproven lower league players by paying out big money.

Question is - if City wanted a proven left winger with a similar ability level as Albert, how much would he cost?

Billy Sharp has a buy out clause for 1.75 mil i believe but he is very similer to Pitman. I would spend 3 million on a left back , a centre half , a midfielder and a big striker ( if stead is not fancied by DM )

Chairman just said on Sky Sports in January his contract will have a clause in it for 3M. Mcgivern is here for the rest of the season so we should look at a left back in the summer.

Yep, he was definitely a bargain but he was playing in Division Two and there was no guarantee that he'd be able to make the step up. That fact would have made a big difference to his price tag. Clubs aren't willing to essentially gamble on unproven lower league players by paying out big money.

Question is - if City wanted a proven left winger with a similar ability level as Albert, how much would he cost?

Well thats the trick - trying to find players like adomah in the lower leagues - that way we get them cheap. Its the only way for small clubs like us.

I'd like to see us try and sign David Templeton from Hearts looking at their financial crisis. He's a young left winger.

INS:

Billy Sharp - 3M

David Templeton - 1M

Murray Davidson - 750K

OUT:

Nicky Maynard - 4M

A couple of fringe players to free up wages

That would be a very nice January window imo. :whistle2:

Why waste 3m quid, when we have brett pitman?

and if we were to sign sharp - what was the point in signing pitman?!

Why waste 3m quid, when we have brett pitman?

and if we were to sign sharp - what was the point in signing pitman?!

Pitman isn't a 4-5-1 striker. Also if we played 4-4-2 we'd have to sign another striker to partner him as Stead isn't going to be fit very often and what if Pitman was to get injured? We definatley will have to replace Maynard with a striker otherwise relying on Pitman will be very silly.

Pitman isn't a 4-5-1 striker. Also if we played 4-4-2 we'd have to sign another striker to partner him as Stead isn't going to be fit very often and what if Pitman was to get injured? We definatley will have to replace Maynard with a striker otherwise relying on Pitman will be very silly.

nor is maynard!

relying on pitman is silly if he got injured? we managed before we signed pitman...

If we sign someone, it should be a youngster who will be happy to on the bench, while pitman gets his chance....

Signing someone like Sharp would be expensive and it would be a waste of the 800K we paid for pitman.

We need to strengthen other area's of the team - we should'nt be looking for players in areas of the team where we already have decent players. We need to get players where we HAVENT got decent players... left back for example.

Archived