IGNORED

Some Good News

Super

Hardly parasites. They give us more money than they take.

That's a complete myth.

The Royal Family costs the country an estimated £200m*.

This in return for the onerous task of waving a bit, trying to stay awake during various official visits and eating a large number of banquets.

The argument that tourism counteracts this expenditure is utterly bogus. No-one visits a country just because it's a monarchy. Indeed, four of the five most popular tourist destinations in the World are republics (and the fifth - Spain - was a republic when mass tourism started there). You could say people come to see the history, the castles, palaces and so forth, but they could see all these a lot better without the Saxe-Coburg family in residence.

* http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20depth/Royal%20finances/index.php

Completely disagree. Even aside from that, the amount they generate for charity makes it worthwhile instantly. They work their arses off in all fairness.

I'm with Red.Robbo.

The monarchy does bring in serious amount of trade particularly from the middle east but apart from that they do very little for huge amount of money they cost.

Cameron 'Everyone round the country will be celebrating tonight' Hmm

Just shows how out of touch he is, as if we didn't know already.

William & Harry are probably decent blokes, just unfortunate to have been born into the most disfunctional family ever.

As for Kate/Catherine, I'm sick of her and her sickness already.

Completely disagree. Even aside from that, the amount they generate for charity makes it worthwhile instantly. They work their arses off in all fairness.

F-ing hell! Sign me up for that work!! I only have to drive long distances, work 12 hour shifts and worry about getting enough cash in to pay the mortgage and support my wife and kids.

If I can be thought of as "working my arse off" by being chauffered to a series of fetes and receptions and waving a bit before returning to a life of 5 star luxury, then I'm changing job. How do I apply?

Just shows how out of touch he is, as if we didn't know already.

William & Harry are probably decent blokes, just unfortunate to have been born into the most disfunctional family ever.

As for Kate/Catherine, I'm sick of her and her sickness already.

Thing is it'll be reported as though a nation is rejoicing when we know it's not true, based on the sample on here anyway !

F-ing hell! Sign me up for that work!! I only have to drive long distances, work 12 hour shifts and worry about getting enough cash in to pay the mortgage and support my wife and kids.

If I can be thought of as "working my arse off" by being chauffered to a series of fetes and receptions and waving a bit before returning to a life of 5 star luxury, then I'm changing job. How do I apply?

Well played. At what point did I say they work harder than you or I? The truth is, they will be given money by the Government no matter what, they could well sit on their backsides and do nothing, and easily get away with it, they get abused anyway so it would make no difference.

In truth, they are constantly doing charity events, raising (I would imagine) even more than it costs the taxpayer to keep them. No matter how much that over-glorified article wants us to believe differently, the official figure of cost to the taxpayer for the royal family is £30m-£40m per year. The amount of revenue the royal family is estimated to bring in from the royal lands alone is £200m, so you have made a tidy profit on that instantly. That's even forgetting the increased trade and tourism they bring, and events such as a jubilee or a royal wedding, which each time will increase trade and publicity. It is well known that the Americans love our royal family even if we do not, the power of such things is underestimated, given that not only do we have a royal family, but we have the most famous one in the world.

No matter how "cool" or socially acceptable it might be to hate on the royal family, it's very difficult to argue that they don't give us value for money, not to mention the amount of charity work they do constantly as well. No matter how boring the Queen may be, I can't imagine many people on here working until they're 86 through choice.

Well played. At what point did I say they work harder than you or I? The truth is, they will be given money by the Government no matter what, they could well sit on their backsides and do nothing, and easily get away with it, they get abused anyway so it would make no difference.

In truth, they are constantly doing charity events, raising (I would imagine) even more than it costs the taxpayer to keep them. No matter how much that over-glorified article wants us to believe differently, the official figure of cost to the taxpayer for the royal family is £30m-£40m per year. The amount of revenue the royal family is estimated to bring in from the royal lands alone is £200m, so you have made a tidy profit on that instantly. That's even forgetting the increased trade and tourism they bring, and events such as a jubilee or a royal wedding, which each time will increase trade and publicity. It is well known that the Americans love our royal family even if we do not, the power of such things is underestimated, given that not only do we have a royal family, but we have the most famous one in the world.

No matter how "cool" or socially acceptable it might be to hate on the royal family, it's very difficult to argue that they don't give us value for money, not to mention the amount of charity work they do constantly as well. No matter how boring the Queen may be, I can't imagine many people on here working until they're 86 through choice.

But she isn't working, is she? She does a TV speech once a year and the rest of the time is basically a long glorified holiday. My mum's a pensioner too and she works harder than the queen because she actually does her own shopping and runs a house without an army of butlers, footmen and equerries.

And raise money for charity?! Think it through. What do they actually do? Run marathons? Sit in baths of baked beans? No, they "allow" their name to be used as a charity 'patron' and perhaps once a year they might turn up at a banquet the charity has thrown for them.

Americans love Hugh Grant too. For less than £200m a year he'd probably turn up at a couple of charity dinners too. Hell, he might even do 'movember' or something.

And you are repeating the tourism myth. Did you know that during the Royal wedding GDP actually fell - and there was no influx of foreign flagwavers. And TBH even if there was, it would bring a tiny short-lived boost for a few posh London hotels, nowhere near offsetting the cost to the state of the extra Bank Holiday, the mugs for kiddies and the ceremony itself.

I don't hate the Monarchy because it's fashionable to do so, I hate it because it's a ridiculous anachronism in the 21st Century - a stupid, expensive left-over from the days of tribal chiefs and feudalism.

I don't hate the Royals themselves either. Given the fact that most of them are genetically a bit dense they do a reasonable job of waving, smiling and keeping their opinions on anything to themselves. William and Kate seem a nice young couple and I wish them as trouble-free a pregnancy as possible and every happiness with their first child. It's a special feeling for anyone.

Of course, never having to worry about money or work means they and the child will have a future few of their "subjects" could ever dream of.

I'll end my thoughts on this subject with a little anecdote.

The first Mrs Robbo used to have a job that involved running an annual event in Buckingham Palace. Once, to get to the 'balcony room' where the ceremony was occurring she went through one of the not-open-to-the-public throne rooms (there are various). In this room two blokes were re-gilding the thrones and much of the wall with gold leaf. Mrs Robbo #1 asked the workmen how much the tiny books of gold leaf cost. They told her £100 per page and they'd already used 100 pages each and were nowhere near finishing. They had a second room to do once that job was over.

All this re-gilding is paid for directly by you and me via the Home Office which is responsible for the 'maintenance' of Royal palaces. It's not even counted in the Civil List and of course, it can't come from Her Maj's £349m fortune.

Think on't!!!

Archived