IGNORED

Greatest Goal By A City Player, Ever!

where's the joy

I probably haven't seen better than Jimmy Mann's v Forest.

Tinman's v Liverpool has to be up there for what it meant. (But don't forget the Chief scoring to earn us the replay.)

As has Roberts' v Hartlepool.

I remember Tony Thorpe scoring with a deft volley on the turn from near the corner of the box starting with his back to goal and swiveling around to connect with the ball. I'm sure it was in the FA cup against some non-leaguer's (maybe I'll remember their name when Rovers play them next year..)

Think that was Kingstonian in the last minute at AG

what a topic,not going to sleep tonight now.theres been some belters down ag this season,more than your average season. jets had a few,his gas goal and recent freekick being my favourites but for changing the atmosphere in a split second,joe bryans was a screamer. 

Great thread!

One that hasn't been mentioned but was he'll of a goal, although meaningless in the context of the match, Wayne Alison scored a screamer in a 3-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday.

It was their promotion party, I seem to recall. What a goal that was!

Christian Roberts for City's 5th on that unforgettable day at Mansfield.

Anyone else would have headed for the corner flag to protect an unlikely point. Not let fly for a stunning winner.

Any of the above, but that Jimmy Mann strike is still one I remember after all the years so must have been something special. And at the East End if I remember right.. The other one I remember from that era was a John Galley header, ( v Birmingham?) that had all the power of a shot.

Oh, and anything that Jacki scored!

Adomah away against Scunny, Got the ball on the halfway line and didn't stop running one twos on the way and a cool chip to finish it off.

Not as special as others mentioned but still a very good goal!

This is my favourite thread ever!!

If someone has spare time, Could you try and make a video of all these goals in chronological order, Would be an awesome watch

So many great goals to chose from. Maynard at QPR probably technically the best, but for sheer drama it has to be Christian Roberts v Hartlepool. - never known the Dolman shake like that. Honourable mention to Maynard's blast  v QPR at the Gate same season - have never seen a ball hit so hard, and then there's Murray v Oldham, or Maynard v Newcastle, or Luke Wilshire v Tranny was it, or Mickey Bell's double, or Trundle's double v Scunny, or Noble at Palace, Carey's weasel in the same game.

Oh, I don't know what the answer is. What I do know is if there's one thread that should get everybody to renew next year it's this. I wonder what's next?

So many great goals to chose from. Maynard at QPR probably technically the best, but for sheer drama it has to be Christian Roberts v Hartlepool. - never known the Dolman shake like that. Honourable mention to Maynard's blast v QPR at the Gate same season - have never seen a ball hit so hard, and then there's Murray v Oldham, or Maynard v Newcastle, or Luke Wilshire v Tranny was it, or Mickey Bell's double, or Trundle's double v Scunny, or Noble at Palace, Carey's weasel in the same game.

Oh, I don't know what the answer is. What I do know is if there's one thread that should get everybody to renew next year it's this. I wonder what's next?

The club should make a video advertising Season tickets showing all these goals. All it needs is a slogan to make you feel guilty that you could be missing out on some of those screamers and you'll have Sweden gang buying them :D

I trawled through google looking for Jimmy Manns goal v Bolton Wanderers.. August 18th 1978.

It was featured game on Match of the Day, back when only two games were shown.

I'm useless on computers etc, so if any of you squared eyed whizz kids have time on your hands. Find it and post the link for one and all. 

Geert Meijer 1979 signed from Ajax and scored a stunning solo goal 3 minutes into his debut in the old 1st division, almost did the same later in the first half. I can remember thinking 'we've got some player here', how wrong I was he was lazy and a big jessie when it came to the physical stuff.

PS:- Clarkson's goal at home to Leicester was fun mind and I have no doubt in my mind he meant it.

I can't be the only person to remember lee trundles first two goals (I think) for the club

Against scunny at home. Second was an absolute thunderbolt from the edge of the area but the first was

One of the most controlled, cheeky, elegant and sublime goals I've ever seen at AG. Just outside the corner of the box, dolman side he turned away from his man, saw the keeper slightly off his line and somehow got it up and down nestling in the far corner, one the best lobs I've ever seen. He had his failings but I remember thinking at that time not many people can produce goals like that out of nothing and we've now got one of them!

Geert Meijer 1979 signed from Ajax and scored a stunning solo goal 3 minutes into his debut in the old 1st division, almost did the same later in the first half. I can remember thinking 'we've got some player here', how wrong I was he was lazy and a big jessie when it came to the physical stuff.

PS:- Clarkson's goal at home to Leicester was fun mind and I have no doubt in my mind he meant it.

Meijer's goal was superb. I was stood in the enclosure (now the lower Williams) between halfway and the Open End (now the Atyeo) and had a perfect view as he ran down the left wing in front of us and like you, I thought we had a superstar in our midst. How wrong I was - Geert started his City career at the top and slid rapidly downhill.

Meijer's goal was superb. I was stood in the enclosure (now the lower Williams) between halfway and the Open End (now the Atyeo) and had a perfect view as he ran down the left wing in front of us and like you, I thought we had a superstar in our midst. How wrong I was - Geert started his City career at the top and slid rapidly downhill.

We must have been stood close to each other, I used to stand there at home matches with my dad and about 5 or 6 other friends, sadly i'm the only survivor of that little band of brothers.

Tinnion's goal at home versus Cambridge, where a free kick was flicked up to him and he volleyed it in from the edge of the box, Lionel Perez in goal was sent off for handling outside the box whch led to the free kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CK7vjOuD4

2 things from that clip, how unpopular was Tony Thorpe with his team mates? and flapper Phillips came for one when he shouldn't have and didn't come for one he should have, some great goals in that clip though.

Archived