IGNORED

Greatest Goal By A City Player, Ever!

where's the joy

Great thread!

One that hasn't been mentioned but was he'll of a goal, although meaningless in the context of the match, Wayne Alison scored a screamer in a 3-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday.

It was their promotion party, I seem to recall. What a goal that was!

Night game, early 90s? Would have been there, but have not got a shred of recollection about the match or the goal.

Night game, early 90s? Would have been there, but have not got a shred of recollection about the match or the goal.

Yes, towards the end of the season. Massive attendance at Hillsborough.

The Chief scored hi beauty at the Leppings Lane end, as I recall it.

We must have been stood close to each other, I used to stand there at home matches with my dad and about 5 or 6 other friends, sadly i'm the only survivor of that little band of brothers.

My mate and I stood there for years before buying the very first standing season tickets which the club sold for the enclosure - probably around 1976. I've had a season ticket ever since.

I can't be the only person to remember lee trundles first two goals (I think) for the club

Against scunny at home. Second was an absolute thunderbolt from the edge of the area but the first was

One of the most controlled, cheeky, elegant and sublime goals I've ever seen at AG. Just outside the corner of the box, dolman side he turned away from his man, saw the keeper slightly off his line and somehow got it up and down nestling in the far corner, one the best lobs I've ever seen. He had his failings but I remember thinking at that time not many people can produce goals like that out of nothing and we've now got one of them!

You're not, they were mentioned earalier in this thread !

I remember that'n. Was sat right behind it in the Dolman. Went like an arrow into top left corner. The Atyeo was there then, i reckon Chesterfield??

Remember being behind it in the atyeo so yes. An absolute rocket.

Didn't Mickey Bell hit a hell of a goal against Notts County - might have been at ML

This is a bit of a weird one as I can't quite remember how the goal was scored..but it was York City away 1988 end of season in our run to the play-offs, I think we had to win and there was a lot riding on the game...City fans were in a pen at one end , I think it was Ralph Milne who scored (a lob?)...all I can remember was our fans going mental and I ended up in a different area from where I was originally standing, looking around for my mates...memories are hazy, maybe somebody else remembers that goal?.....

This is a bit of a weird one as I can't quite remember how the goal was scored..but it was York City away 1988 end of season in our run to the play-offs, I think we had to win and there was a lot riding on the game...City fans were in a pen at one end , I think it was Ralph Milne who scored (a lob?)...all I can remember was our fans going mental and I ended up in a different area from where I was originally standing, looking around for my mates...memories are hazy, maybe somebody else remembers that goal?.....

Indeed I do, it was during a massive thunder and lightning storm, possibly a may day monday game?

Another screamer was Dave Rennie away at Grimsby, he picked the ball up on the half way line, ran about 5 paces forward and just smashed it in the roof of the net from about 30 yards - still lost 3-1 though.

I was also lucky enough to witness the John Bailey pearler away at Crewe around 89/90, cut in from out on the left flank and curled it into the top corner from miles outside the box, was a beaut and won 1-0 ....... he was probably more surprised than us to be fair!

Matt Bryant at home to somebody once. Long range. 40 yards.

I love the way he seemed to sort of trundle (sic) forward and then, with nothing else on, thought "What the hell..." and just launched it.  Would still be going now if the net hadn't got in the way.

Maynard's at QPR 

Superb, great control and the coollest finish ever

Ralph Milne v Bury

Was that the one that was a lobbed volley, following a crossfield pass from Walshy?  Unreal.  I thought he was going to clear the East End and land it on a bus, but top far corner - unrepeatable.

May I also add Bob Taylor's overhead kick vs Birmingham city (1989/90ish?) and any one of half a dozen from Biff Newman and Alan "Shuffle" Walsh.

I love the way he seemed to sort of trundle (sic) forward and then, with nothing else on, thought "What the hell..." and just launched it.  Would still be going now if the net hadn't got in the way.

Was that the one that was a lobbed volley, following a crossfield pass from Walshy?  Unreal.  I thought he was going to clear the East End and land it on a bus, but top far corner - unrepeatable.

May I also add Bob Taylor's overhead kick vs Birmingham city (1989/90ish?) and any one of half a dozen from Biff Newman and Alan "Shuffle" Walsh.

Wasn't it the first home game of the promotion season - so Aug/Sept '89?

Indeed it was although it wasn't really 'lobbed' was a perfect connection with his instep, can still hear the meaty thump as I'm typing this. Truly unrepeatable, certainly haven't seen a goal like it since. Ralph was great for us, not sure how it all went wrong at Man U, ahem.

Does anyone else remember an Andy Cole goal at Grimsby. Long clearance from our keeper, bounced once over Cole's shoulder and he volleyed it first time - into the net we were stood behind.

I think that was the moment I realised he'd play for England one day - and not for us very much longer!

For me

Dave Smith v bury in a 1 nil win on a very wet Tuesday night Early 90s

Couple of others

Mann v Forest

Noble v Palace

Thorpe v Gas (Great header)

Roberts v H pool

There will never be another hit quite like it! The distance was huge! 40 Yards easily against England's number 1 Goalkeeper Peter Shilton (and soon to be European Champions)...Sorry youngsters but that is the best goal scored by a city player!

Archived