IGNORED

Most Unusual Place You've Met A City Player

alexukhc

Keith Waugh in the gents toilet at The Grove Sports Centre in Nailsea

Shaun Goater in the car wash at Wraxall Service Station.

Mickey Bell with his ankle in a cast at the same place.

Tinman just about everywhere.

Cheese when he had The Tickenham Star

Scott Murray on the beach in Laganas, Zante. (for those who dont know, Bedminster Down, past Towns Talk, Lulsgate departures, ................!!!) He was in a hotel with a couple of Gasheads who were taking the mick out of him. Shame it wasnt this summer as I think they may have been a little less mouthy ! :gasmask: :gasmask:

Bumped into mike stowell in Reynolds night club in Stafford on a Friday night. It was about 2002ish and he wasn't best pleased when I questioned what he was doing out in Stafford at 1 in the morning when he was probably going to be on the bench for us the next day.

(For those that don't know Stafford is 20 minutes up the road from Wolverhampton so always used to see a lot of ex wolves players around those parts)

I used to go to school with Mike Stowells kid. So wierdest place seen an ex city player was the hall of Nailsea School

John Galley in the restaurant of The Savoy Hotel Nottingham probably 25 years ago. I sent over a bottle of wine and he appeared at my table where I was entertaining a couple of clients from Chase Manhattan Bank both of whom I completely ignored - didn't get their business but I was made up talking to a legend.

Clive Whitehead at The London Capital Club in EC4 about 12 years ago. I was a member there (it's only a bar, a couple of restaurants and a few meeting rooms) and Clive was attending a local PFA meeting. Nice chat mainly about his media work. We were talking about the Great Escape video and I told him that my brother and I featured at the end - he was on my shoulders as we looked down the tunnel. Clive said HTV ought to do a "where are they now" feature. Good that we didn't give up our day jobs!

Scott Murray on the beach in Laganas, Zante. (for those who dont know, Bedminster Down, past Towns Talk, Lulsgate departures, ................!!!) He was in a hotel with a couple of Gasheads who were taking the mick out of him. Shame it wasnt this summer as I think they may have been a little less mouthy ! :gasmask: :gasmask:

The difference is: If a rovers player from the last few years came and sat next to me I would honestly have no idea who they were and that makes me feel happy that they are so insignificant.

Now, if one of them from my past appeared i.e. Penrice, Holloway, Yates, Saunders I would suddenly develop an extreme bout of tourettes 

Gary Shelton in a pub on the Wirral a few years ago. He finished his career up here and his sons both played non-league round here too.

Paul Hartley at Keele Services, it was a Saturday night after a game and he was on his way home to Scotland for the rest of the weekend. Nice guy.

I served petrol to both Gerry Gow and Trevor Tainton whilst working at a garage in Whitchurch as a teenager.

As a kid, I was having a kick about in the street with my Nan's next door neighbour and Clive Whitehead came and joined in (before he had made the City first team) - he was lodging with the neighbours at the time.

Used to occasionally drink at the Mariner in Pill when Paul Cheesley was running it - a few of the City players used to come in for a beer or two on Sunday lunchtimes too.

Drank once or twice at Trevor Jacob's pub in Whitchurch - Was it the Shield or the Baccy Jar - can't remember which now.

I vaguely recall Kevin Mabbut and Shaun Penny coming into the Merchant Venturer on Redcliffe Hill - I think it's called the Colosseum now.

I also recall seeing Bob Houghton in the old Dragonara one luchtime with a very attractive lady who was not his wife - he was being very attentive though.

David Seal working the desk at Whitchurch Sports Centre or whatever the **** they've re-branded to now

Greg Goodridge in The Virgin Megastore in the galleries - walks with the biggest strides ever. Must've helped those step-overs.

Tinman in The Somerset House, clifton village shortly after his disastrous managerial reign.... he looked really nervous so I just said "chin up Tinman" and left him alone

Keith Waugh in the gents toilet at The Grove Sports Centre in Nailsea

Shaun Goater in the car wash at Wraxall Service Station.

Mickey Bell with his ankle in a cast at the same place.

Tinman just about everywhere.

Cheese when he had The Tickenham Star

I think I mean Keith Welch (Goalkeeper)

Eh?

Had an interesting conversation with Matt Hill at the 2010 Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor...

I may have misinterpreted what you said, but you said you had seen him ona night out on a Friday night, that he was likely to be on the bench on the Saturday? and that he told you to keep quiet?

I took this as you seen him on a night out.....maybe in town or something....on the Friday before a game, and he asked you to keep quiet?

Shaun Goater at one of his book signings in Bermuda. I was there on holiday and spotted the poster advertising it at the HM Dockyards. He was really nice and even impressed my less than football loving wife. He did a passable Bristolian accent as he introduced himself to her as "goat er". There used to be a picture of the two of us on the main website, in the fans section at one time. 

Do you only attract Scots? Donnie does like the odd expletive, he was well known for telling young 17 / 18 yr old wingers he would break their ******* legs if they went past him when he was playing Somerset Senior Football when he was 40ish

I watched the England game on Thursday with Donald. You'll be glad to know he doesn't go in for that "auld enemy" nonsense, but wanted us to.do well. It was me coming out with most of the expletives though!

Following on from the fans topic, where is the most unusual place you've met a player, current or ex...

I met Robbie Turner at Weston hospital visiting my grandma when I was young, he was seeing his mum, I had no idea who he was, but to know he played for City many years ago made a young 5year old Alex very happy

Glad to have made your day young man ;-)

Archived