IGNORED

The "what Happened To ..." Thread

Major Isewater

Several (Many!) years ago I worked as a student in a chocolate factory - one of my roles was to ensure that the 'walnut whip' actually had a walnut on top and to remove it from the conveyor belt if not.

We were allowed to eat as much chocolate as we wished on site, but were threatened with instant dismissal if we were caught taking any chocolate out of the site.

Every Friday evening, at the end of the shift, we were allowed to buy 'broken' chocolate - huge queues waiting, and never, to my knowledge, anybody caught trying to take 'unbroken' chocolate off site.

Presumably it is now just binned....

My Aunty Margaret (Marge) used to work at Fry's and would bring home bags of broken After Eights ,Mint Crisps and liqueurs .Some of the chocolate liquers were filled with Harvey's Bristol Cream (never knew whether to drink it or rub it in )

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIoR67ktSY

....appears due to diet changes, dogs eat less bones nowadays, dog food manufacturers used to add lots of crushed up bones and waste animal products direct from abattoirs in the past, practice stopped mostly due to B S C (madcow) outbreaks in cattle. The bone content (Calcium) , which caused the poo to go white and crumbly, has therefore been much reduced in most dogs modern diets. Hence the stinking piles of sloppy dog shit deposited on pavements by dogs belonging to mad cow/cow boy owners that we've all grown to love and admire in recent decades. ;) .

MAD CYRIL/PHIL IN FRANCE .... that's what I understand happened to White DogPoo ....

(there I go,.. talking shit again,.. as usual WH :) )

Actually Always the Bridesmaid isn't far out with that answer. Dogs of today don't eat so many bones and there isn't so much bonemeal in dog food. It's the calcium that causes Albino style turds. Also councils don't allow dog mess to remain in situ for weeks on end as they once did. Dog mess will turn white if left for a long time.

Well there you go... WH beaten to it once again .

Although I did add a little song to my reply so there! ;)

one penny (yes 1d.!) bags of broken crisps from Smiths Crisps, Brislington

I remember a baker in Montpelier in Picton Street I think. when we walked down to get the bus you could buy a penny bag of bits ( pre decimalization penny) once a few knew about it, it became a mad chase and if you had a detention you had no b******y chance. Sadly I got a detention in week 1 in First Form, upside was Miss Ashton the Art teacher did detention in those days and she used to sit at the front of the class and when she crossed her legs you got a glimpse of her stocking tops. and the young uns today think they invented 'it' :laughcont: :laughcont: :laughcont:

I remember a baker in Montpelier in Picton Street I think. when we walked down to get the bus you could buy a penny bag of bits ( pre decimalization penny) once a few knew about it, it became a mad chase and if you had a detention you had no b******y chance. Sadly I got a detention in week 1 in First Form, upside was Miss Ashton the Art teacher did detention in those days and she used to sit at the front of the class and when she crossed her legs you got a glimpse of her stocking tops. and the young uns today think they invented 'it' :laughcont: :laughcont: :laughcont:

Caw. you're getting me dewy-eyed now. Picton Street,the Bamboo Club, the Cat and wheel, Bear and Staff, Castle street, Georges Brewery, .................

We didn't have much but by ***k 'ow times have changed

and as for "Health and Safety" ....................... I told 'ee, don't get I started

Reckon you've 'dropped' a few pencils in yer time OSRobin! :)

In all seriousness, I really do remember 'White dog poo', but I don't recall having seen any lately.

Does anybody know 'what happened to' it?

Danny Baker said that Marmite turns white when you tap it with a spoon. In days gone by children didn't have expensive toys, so perhaps they went around tapping poo, to amuse themselves.

"Several (Many!) years ago I worked as a student in a chocolate factory - one of my roles was to ensure that the 'walnut whip' actually had a walnut on top and to remove it from the conveyor belt if not."

How did you cope with the pressure of this responsability ?

Like you, I moved to France - although not to the sunny climes of Montpelier!

Seriously, I used to sit at the conveyor belt removing a 'whip' every 2/3 minutes, before taking an obligatory break every hour.

Quite an incentive to study at the end of the day!

Yeah - how about licorice ---- licorice laces and sherbet dips with a licorice tube the sherbet went soggy with your spit

Now 'ang on got I goin' now ---------Jackpots - giant baked bean tin full of the most disgusting beer ever

& Party Sevens ! ..... (they were no trouble at all to open ;) )

* Remember who 'rolled out the barrel' and gave us one of the countries first name sponsored football tournaments?

& Who can forget when a Double Diamond apparently used to work wonders?

* the first ever penalty shootout in England took place between Hull & Man U in the

1970 Watney Cup semi-final.

George Best took first shootout pen, Denis Law first player to miss one.. Hulls Ian McKechnie became first player to miss a deciding pen shootout kick.

(anyway that's prob enough said about the Watney Cup which only ran for 4

seasons -1970/1,/7 f'ing 2,/& 3. - hence nothing much else of interest for us to mention about it. ;))

Actually, it really was/is a serious question.

I was pondering the same recently.

As a kid I used to play football from dawn to dust on a grass laden with hidden messages from local dogs - including feril mongrels (remember them). Whenever you got a shout to say you'd just trod in dog shite the thought always ran through your head 'Please, please, please be a white one'. They just brushed off and you could immediately continue with play.

Can only assume the modern trend amongst dog owners to bag up said dog shite for use as hand warmers no longer affords the opportunity for these to mature from brown to white.

These days when someone informs me I have trodden in dog shite, it's always bad news. I have been denied even the faintest hope it could be the benign white variety. All hope is lost.

This, they tell me, is progress.

Like you, I moved to France - although not to the sunny climes of Montpelier!

Seriously, I used to sit at the conveyor belt removing a 'whip' every 2/3 minutes, before taking an obligatory break every hour.

Quite an incentive to study at the end of the day!

It's one of my ambitions to get a railway ticket from Montpelier to Montpellier, just to baffle the SNCF ticket inspectors ;)

I was pondering the same recently.

As a kid I used to play football from dawn to dust on a grass laden with hidden messages from local dogs - including feril mongrels (remember them). Whenever you got a shout to say you'd just trod in dog shite the thought always ran through your head 'Please, please, please be a white one'. They just brushed off and you could immediately continue with play.

Can only assume the modern trend amongst dog owners to bag up said dog shite for use as hand warmers no longer affords the opportunity for these to mature from brown to white.

These days when someone informs me I have trodden in dog shite, it's always bad news. I have been denied even the faintest hope it could be the benign white variety. All hope is lost.

This, they tell me, is progress.

Shiteiste !

Got 'it, ......................... toy guns with caps in 'em. Delicious smell

Health and Safety what the ***k was that?

Bangers (fireworks not sausages). Children loved to drop a lighted one down a drain in the gutter to get a better explosive sound. H&S? Can you imagine shops selling small tubes of gunpowder to young children today?

Archived