IGNORED

The "what Happened To ..." Thread

Major Isewater

Several (Many!) years ago I worked as a student in a chocolate factory - one of my roles was to ensure that the 'walnut whip' actually had a walnut on top and to remove it from the conveyor belt if not.

We were allowed to eat as much chocolate as we wished on site, but were threatened with instant dismissal if we were caught taking any chocolate out of the site.

Every Friday evening, at the end of the shift, we were allowed to buy 'broken' chocolate - huge queues waiting, and never, to my knowledge, anybody caught trying to take 'unbroken' chocolate off site.

Presumably it is now just binned....

Was this in Rowntrees factory at Halifax?

Whatever happened to

...'fun' behind the bike sheds.

...packs of five Park Drives, ... or clubbing together for ten No 6's ...

acting all grown up when underage in pubs and asking for halves & pints of'Brown Splits' ... Courage Tavern ...lager 'tops' ... etc & take out flagons of cider. - (actually come to think of it what happened to bottle deposits and little 'off licence serving hatches' with sliding glass windows and tiny counters in pubs? )

Anyone remember 'Tuf' Wayfinder shoes with little compasses inside the insoles and embossed animal footprints on the bottom of the soles? (were they made by G B Brittans at Kings wood) ... and did anyone have a pair of their 'revolutionary' football boots which had a rotating ring of studs supposedly to make twisting and turning easier for the player - umm didnt work & I think production stopped when they proved dangerous and caused injuries.. What were they called?

Whatever happened to

...'fun' behind the bike sheds.

...packs of five Park Drives, ... or clubbing together for ten No 6's ...

acting all grown up when underage in pubs and asking for halves & pints of'Brown Splits' ... Courage Tavern ...lager 'tops' ... etc & take out flagons of cider. - (actually come to think of it what happened to bottle deposits and little 'off licence serving hatches' with sliding glass windows and tiny counters in pubs? )

Anyone remember 'Tuf' Wayfinder shoes with little compasses inside the insoles and embossed animal footprints on the bottom of the soles? (were they made by G B Brittans at Kings wood) ... and did anyone have a pair of their 'revolutionary' football boots which had a rotating ring of studs supposedly to make twisting and turning easier for the player - umm didnt work & I think production stopped when they proved dangerous and caused injuries.. What were they called?

I think the boots where called KK's Knee Busters ,surprising they never caught on ..; but you're all good for the rest.

Taking empties from the beer crates in the pub landlord's garden and getting the deposit "back" cough ! :innocent06:

Splits - as in beer, e.g. brown split, light split etc. I suppose they have gone is because the beer is better. They only reason you'd want a light split (a bottle of light ale mixed with a half of bitter) is because Courage bitter was awful.

Splits - as in beer, e.g. brown split, light split etc. I suppose they have gone is because the beer is better. They only reason you'd want a light split (a bottle of light ale mixed with a half of bitter) is because Courage bitter was awful.

How we suffered .Are the Young uns grateful for our pioneering efforts ?  :drunk2:  Oh and those packets of peanuts hung over a picture of a busty model  that revealed more the more you bought ! Marketing was sooo much easier in those days .

Trouser turn-ups

Lemonade lorry deliveries

Parrafin heaters and Parrafin delivery trucks. ... Pink /Esso Blue.

Gas mantles (gas lights in caravans... ) Sadly the lights went out almost completely for Gas not so long ago ;)

Remember a motoring law in the 60s where parked vehicles at night had to display 'parking lights'... Used to clip onto the drivers door window with front facing white/rear facing red lamps.

Usually connected by crocodile clips to the car battery on leads routed under the bonnet on outside of car. We lived in a cul-de-sac and dad still had to 'light up' despite no passing traffic. Local coppers patrolled and checked regularly crazy or what? .. Rule didn't last long as I recall maybe a year or so.

Pre radial - Cross-Ply tyres.

Go faster stripes.

Petrol station freebies, - remember 'coin' collections featuring the England world cup squad (players head on the 'heads side of each coin, and bizarrely James Bond 'bullet hole' stickers that looked like you windscreen had been machine-gunned, :laugh:.. (dead chuffed when we got some of those from the Shell garage at Longwell Green remember that like yesterday strangely ;) )

Another petrol garage at Longwell Green pre-self service, had at least one promotion I recall where pretty young top-less girls 'manned the pumps' and gave the vwindscreens a quick wipe. :) .... :laugh: ... PC or what?

Cod Lots wrapped in newspaper... (Dread to think where the newspapers had been or handled by before being 'donated' by local people to the chippie (common practice), it was also common practice back in the day for dads to take the paper to the toilet to read while sitting down... Urggghhhh, imagine how many eventually ended up wrapped around peoples chip shop suppers.. ;) )

Kids at school wearing 'National Health' glasses..

Seem to remember kids always having nose-bleeds regularly at school (not always due to fights) kids don't seem to have em so much nowadays..

Remember buying packets of 'Potato Puffs' at break time in school.

School caretakers mopping up 'sick' in the corridors with buckets of sawdust.

Juke Box Jury with David Jacobs - Hit or Miss?

Sunday Night at the London Palladium rotating stage at the end of show... and 'Beat The Clock'

Saturdays we had The Black & White Minstral Show....

Corona. With the bottles you got money back for returning.

Also flavoured Dairy Lea triangles. Used to love the tomato and celery flavoured ones as a kid. Why were they stopped - apart from monumental amounts of e-numbers?

And why do you never see Sven Hassel books any more? Every boy at our school was familiar with the tales of lovable Nazis Joszef Porta, Tiny Creudzfeldt and Willy Beier.

Toffo's

Yes...even nicer was the fruit flavoured Toffos. I hope to God that one day they will make a return.

The fact that shops used to be shut on a Sunday seems totally alien nowadays, also, I haven't heard a milk float in the early hours of the morning for years, I grew up close to the Unigate Dairy in Ashton Gate and from 2:30am onwards there seemed to be a steady stream of milk floats heading out on deliveries.

Archived