IGNORED

The "what Happened To ..." Thread

Major Isewater

Used to stick bangers in dog turds so when they went off they would decorate any cars parked nearby.

We used ours to blow up prized cabbages in local gardens, :)

and when Longwell Green was mostly fields before Asda, B&Q etc ruined it (it was virtually our childhood village green with cows and everything) we made good use of the Cow Pats with our 'bangers' ... Exploding semi-sloppy with an outer crust cow dung was a sight to behold, light blue touch paper and run like f .... k to avoid the SPLAAAT! ... Good Times :laugh: :)

(P.S.: forgot to mention the far flung dollops of still smoking cow poo all around was a sight to see too!

Kids today dont know what they've missed, we didn't need F/Book and X Boxes to have our fun ... Scrump a few apples, scrounge a bag of chip shop scrumps too on

the way home in time for Monty Python on telly God how we lived ! ..:laugh: .)

Talk about Shit heads & Shitty til I Die ... Wonder where all them old mates are now, if I met em again today I'd like to shake their hands & give 'em all a 'pat' on the back for old times sake! :)

and when Longwell Green was mostly fields before Asda, B&Q etc ruined it (it was virtually our childhood village green with cows and everything) we made good use of the Cow Pats with our 'bangers' ... Exploding semi-sloppy with an outer crust cow dung was a sight to behold, light blue touch paper and run like f .... k to avoid the SPLAAAT! ... Good Times :laugh::)

(P.S.: forgot to mention the far flung dollops of still smoking cow poo all around was a sight to see too!

Kids today dont know what they've missed, we didn't need F/Book and X Boxes to have our fun ... Scrump a few apples, scrounge a bag of chip shop scrumps too on

the way home in time for Monty Python on telly God how we lived ! .. :laugh: .)

Talk about Shit heads & Shitty til I Die ... Wonder where all them old mates are now, if I met em again today I'd like to shake their hands & give 'em all a 'pat' on the back for old times sake! :)

Around the 'Wood, we used to scoop up dog crap in newspaper, chuck a couple of bangers in, light the paper and leave it on people's door steps. Ring the bell, run like hell then watch the person who answered the door try to stamp out the fire (human reaction to try) only to be met by 'bang bang' and a foot / leg covered in dog 5hit!

Happy days!!

and when Longwell Green was mostly fields before Asda, B&Q etc ruined it (it was virtually our childhood village green with cows and everything) we made good use of the Cow Pats with our 'bangers' ... Exploding semi-sloppy with an outer crust cow dung was a sight to behold, light blue touch paper and run like f .... k to avoid the SPLAAAT! ... Good Times :laugh::)

the way home in time for Monty Python on telly God how we lived ! ..:laugh: .)

Learning to play golf on Sodbury Common as a 14 year old it was great fun to launch cow pats with a 7 iron.

Most of it went on the ceiling.

Jesus, how sophisticated we were back then.

A few barley wines before heading into town just to get in the mood,then half a dozen brown splits and a few rum and cokes (old style shots I suppose). All in a pungent Brut atmosphere. No wonder I was always throwing up over me crombie.

...being all sophisticated like and buying the latest a babysham.

Remember the bags of 'tobacco' you could buy as a kid, kind of coconut strands, or the 'packet of fags', hard white candy with a red tip.

What boy in the cold would not stand there in a freezing cold morning, pretending to suck on their sweet cigarette, and then breath out the 'smoke' in to the cold air. Wearing a balaclava.

Standing outside houses having their chinney cleaned, waiting for the brush to appear out the top.

Chewing gum packets. The chewing gum was like plastic, and often discarded. The real treat was the three pictures of football players you got with them. The excitement as you hoped for a good one! 100% true story now, which just shows the innocence of my youth! The card to get was George Best. You could swop him for five of any others. I remember going home and proudly claiming I had swopped three cards for his brother. I can still see my mum with tears in her eyes laughing her heart out when I with great emotion held up my card to show her of...Clive Best.

...being all sophisticated like and buying the latest a babysham.

Remember the bags of 'tobacco' you could buy as a kid, kind of coconut strands, or the 'packet of fags', hard white candy with a red tip.

What boy in the cold would not stand there in a freezing cold morning, pretending to suck on their sweet cigarette, and then breath out the 'smoke' in to the cold air. Wearing a balaclava.

Standing outside houses having their chinney cleaned, waiting for the brush to appear out the top.

Chewing gum packets. The chewing gum was like plastic, and often discarded. The real treat was the three pictures of football players you got with them. The excitement as you hoped for a good one! 100% true story now, which just shows the innocence of my youth! The card to get was George Best. You could swop him for five of any others. I remember going home and proudly claiming I had swopped three cards for his brother. I can still see my mum with tears in her eyes laughing her heart out when I with great emotion held up my card to show her of...Clive Best.

Lovely story, but I think his first name night have been Clyde.

Marbles are still alive and well and available to buy. My six-year-old son plays marbles often

Ah good news !

Marbles were also useful for playing "war" where you''d line up your army of plastic soldiers ,footballers and animals against the equally formidable army of your mate the other side if the room and then take it in turns to roll a marble at them .

The winner was the one who "killed off" (knocked down) all the opponents figures .

Actually Always the Bridesmaid isn't far out with that answer. Dogs of today don't eat so many bones and there isn't so much bonemeal in dog food. It's the calcium that causes Albino style turds. Also councils don't allow dog mess to remain in situ for weeks on end as they once did. Dog mess will turn white if left for a long time.

Does that apply to blue and white dogshit also?

Great memories on this thread, things I had forgotten until now. Scraping gunpowder caps with nails ( finger or metal) or stones instead of putting them in the guns, if you got it right you could set off a line of them. Remember the little round cardboard cartons they came in?

Climbing trees, making a rope swing on a tyre over a river (maybe still done now but there were loads back then). Being out on our push bikes from early morning till dusk every day in the school holidays, I was never in. Pointless as there was little or no day time tv and only 3 channels to chose from anyway. I'd return home for dinner (lunch) listen to the radio one roadshow, do the bits and pieces comp and be back out again to compare results with friends straight after.

Playing knockout ginger, (ring someone's doorbell, usually the most grumpiest old person in the street, and run away). It was played every evening without fail. It must have been bloody annoying for the poor people who's door bells we rang...but I've never once had it done to me as an adult (but then maybe I'm not the grumpiest person in the street!).

Thinking back I must have been a bit of a Tomboy, but there were about 15 boys of a similar age to me in my road and only 2 girls, you had to join in or be left out. Wonder if that's why I took to football...

Lizards on the Downs by the Big Slider. Haven't seen one in years.

Coz they've all been eaten by the bloody hedgehogs.

I used to like to do  the " penny for the guy"- basically a pathetic scarecrow in a pram.  We always got money and used to spend it on flap- jacks{ the ones with the golliwog on the wrapper) and fruit salads in the sweet shop on Wells Rd opposite what later became Broadwalk shopping centre where I met the Wombles.

Looking back, I feel a great sense of achievement on  how I changed from being a Womble to a Wurzel. My parents must feel entirely vindicated on all that money they spent on my education.

Coz they've all been eaten by the bloody hedgehogs.

I used to like to do  the " penny for the guy"- basically a pathetic scarecrow in a pram.  We always got money and used to spend it on flap- jacks{ the ones with the golliwog on the wrapper) and fruit salads in the sweet shop on Wells Rd opposite what later became Broadwalk shopping centre where I met the

Wombles.

Looking back, I feel a great sense of achievement on  how I changed from being a Womble to a Wurzel.

My parents must feel entirely vindicated on all that money they spent on my education.

BlackJacks, FruitSalads & the oft forgotten Mojo ! ... were they four or even eight to the penny in old money, I know we got a fair few for a 'tanner' . :)

Chalked Hop-Scotch squares on pavements.. (there was another similar game that I can't quite recall) ...usually used a flattish stone when playing it but sometimes somebody produced an empty Cherry Blossom or Kiwi black shoe polish tin, we weighed 'em down with dirt put the lids back on and they were perfect for the job.

What about games like.... What's the time Mr Wolf.... & Queenie Ball Ball Ball ..... :laugh:

Archived