IGNORED

Match Of The Day - Utter Tripe

Lack of Action Man

Just watched the so called expert analysis of our match today and suprise suprise west ham have been portrayed as world beaters and us as an ugly physical long ball side.

What game were these pundits watching? Or is our football team that unfashionable that it is unacceptable to praise what was an outstanding team footballing effort today against a lacklustre, boring hammers team?

Additionally, having gone into super fine detail regarding the Carroll possible handball, I believe that you can see the motion of the stripes on the ball change before Carroll heads it - no way it could've been given in real time, but another way of looking at how lucky they were today.

Now I've got that off my chest, how awesome was stead versus Chelsea? Wow!

Just watched the so called expert analysis of our match today and suprise suprise west ham have been portrayed as world beaters and us as an ugly physical long ball side.

What game were these pundits watching? Or is our football team that unfashionable that it is unacceptable to praise what was an outstanding team footballing effort today against a lacklustre, boring hammers team?

Additionally, having gone into super fine detail regarding the Carroll possible handball, I believe that you can see the motion of the stripes on the ball change before Carroll heads it - no way it could've been given in real time, but another way of looking at how lucky they were today.

Now I've got that off my chest, how awesome was stead versus Chelsea? Wow!

I don't think they said that at all. If anything, they praised us for being able to mix it up. 

Thought they were positive about us than that to be honest. We were physical, but not long ball.

Whenever a premiership side wins like that it will always be painted as, they rode the storm, settled the gsme down, then won, as if it was some great masterplan. If it had been a league game, it would have just been one of those where they defended well and did a bit of a smash and grapb on us. Just ran their way today,but as far as they are concerned it will be job done, which in their shoes is how exactly how I would feel.

Parkinson was mildly complementary. Lawrenson said we were big and direct. Neville essentially said the same though I fell asleep half way through because he's just that dull...

I didn't really read what they said that way.  But the truth is that, for all the good football we played, our biggest threat today was the physical aerial one. 

I didn't really read what they said that way. But the truth is that, for all the good football we played, our biggest threat today was the physical aerial one.

I wouldn't agree to be honest with you. I thought our biggest threat came from the industry and energy of Joe Bryan and Luke Freeman who were both outstanding for their never say die attitude. Sure, we had chances early with Smith but as the game wore on I don't think our aerial Size posed much of a threat - we were definitely better when we had the ball at feet with quick short passing.

I wouldn't agree to be honest with you. I thought our biggest threat came from the industry and energy of Joe Bryan and Luke Freeman who were both outstanding for their never say die attitude. Sure, we had chances early with Smith but as the game wore on I don't think our aerial Size posed much of a threat - we were definitely better when we had the ball at feet with quick short passing.

We definitely are.  But today we had two headed chances cleared off the line and another late header just past the post whereas, great though Freeman and Bryan were, the absence of a pacey striker meant the quick short passing didn't actually produce much in the way of clear cut chances.  I'm not saying that's par for the course for us but I reckon anyone who watched us today would have noticed the aerial threat first and foremost, even if they then added we played some good stuff on the ground too.  Which is what the pundits seemed to do in the main. 

Parkinson was mildly complementary. Lawrenson said we were big and direct. Neville essentially said the same though I fell asleep half way through because he's just that dull...

Talking of Parkinson, anyone else wondering if the MOTD make-up lady might be a Chelsea fan?

Parkinsons eye lash mascara -blimey, bit dark 'n heavy, reckon she'd have given him a big red nose if she couldve got away with it.. Almost clown like. :)

In hindsight and if you're only watching the highlights, pretty much all of our chances were headers that Smith couldn't quite put away.  If you watched the whole game, you'll see that the work of Korey Smith, Freeman, JET, Bryan, Little etc to set up those chances and get us in those positions was good football.

Our passing was better than West Ham's was today imo, ultimately it means nothing because we just came up short but it was nice to see us compete at a level like that.

In short, who gives a toss what Phil Neville thinks of us?

I thought Parkinson summed it up well when he said wagstaff is not a wing back.

I've said this all year!!

His positioning for the goal was terrible, got caught ball watching instead of covering the space between goal and Sako.

Not a dig at Fielding but a bigger keeper would have stopped that cross, (at 5-9" to 6-1" depending on which Internet site you read) he must be the smallest keeper in the game?

Thought they were positive about us than that to be honest. We were physical, but not long ball.

Whenever a Premier League side wins like that it will always be painted as, they rode the storm, settled the gsme down, then won, as if it was some great masterplan. If it had been a league game, it would have just been one of those where they defended well and did a bit of a smash and grapb on us. Just ran their way today,but as far as they are concerned it will be job done, which in their shoes is how exactly how I would feel.

They did ride the storm, settle us down and won it due to their superiority. Get it right, as SC said himself, we didn't score the necessary goal when on top to allow us to park the bus through tiredness and let them have a go at us. We looked knackered for a long period in the second half, whilst they brought on quality cavalry.

As for MOTD, they were very complimentary to us in the re-run of the game, as was Sam Allardyce in the side he put out and his approach to the game.

Nothing lost today, other than the game an our cup status of course.

Lawro has always had a problem with us right back to his HTV Sport days.

Lawro, bless him, was born under a grey cloud. I pity the miserable old bastard.

During the Arab takeover at Man City I looked at their Internet forum 'Blue Moon'. They had a 'Lawro prediction league' set up which saw Man City in the bottom three. They were wholly sure that he had it in for them (they finished in reality 13th or something). Maybe he has it in for clubs called 'City' but I suspect more he's a depressive personality :)

The only difference was that they had a gangling striker who is their best defender which stopped us putting it to bed before HT.

Other than that I can see City competing against most Prem teams especially if we add a striker and another goalie; can we get a bye for the Championship round?

Personally I couldn't believe how bad song was. I've been reading rave reviews all season and the guy plays for barca...to be honest he looked like the least likely player on the pitch to warrant playing at camp nou.

Haven't watched motd yet but I take their analysis with a pinch of salt. I've watched games on sky and then watched motd portray the game completely differently (normally in favor of the bigger team). I guess it's difficult to show everything on a 5-10 min spot.

You only have to read some of the complementary comments by wham fans to know we played really well.

Just started to watch the whole game recording, first 20 minutes or so they have been very positive. Both Brotherton and Kilbane have called us a good footballing side several times, and before that the guys in the studio have said we play the game "the right way". As for Lawro's comments, I didn't hear them but there is a huge difference between being direct and being long ball.

Joe Bryan has just had his chance and I didn't realise the defender got a touch on it which might have stopped it being a good ball in.

Personally I couldn't believe how bad song was. I've been reading rave reviews all season and the guy plays for barca...to be honest he looked like the least likely player on the pitch to warrant playing at camp nou.

Haven't watched motd yet but I take their analysis with a pinch of salt. I've watched games on sky and then watched motd portray the game completely differently (normally in favor of the bigger team). I guess it's difficult to show everything on a 5-10 min spot.

You only have to read some of the complementary comments by wham fans to know we played really well.

Agree West Hams Song was'nt impressive, but far worse to be broadcast live to the nation on MOTD yesterday was Bristol City's song.

There we were, live on TV, in a high profile Cup-tie against one of the top Premieship sides currently in the country. What song were we singing? - Stand Up If You Hate The Gas ffs... Class by any standards, a 'sleeping giant' on the brink if a resurgence in our height profile match for quite some time and we're singing our hearts out about a local Non-League team...

Agree West Hams Song was'nt impressive, but far worse to be broadcast live to the nation on MOTD yesterday was Bristol City's song.

There we were, live on TV, in a high profile Cup-tie against one of the top Premieship sides currently in the country. What song were we singing? - Stand Up If You Hate The Gas ffs... Class by any standards, a 'sleeping giant' on the brink if a resurgence in our height profile match for quite some time and we're singing our hearts out about a local Non-League team...

What team doesn't sing songs about there rivals?

Cannot agree with OP and knew MOTD pundits would get misconstrued as the words were coming out of their mouths.

Direct doesn't mean long ball. You can have direct running and passing. And we are direct. We don't knock it around at the back at all and do look to get the ball forward, both on the ground and in the air.

And we are big....Flint, JET, Smith, all big.

I never understand why people seem to seek offence from pundits. Nobody 'has it in for us'. Not Neville, Lawrenson or anyone else.

Lawrenson described Bournemouth as direct as well. I haven't seen much of them lately but they were always a good passing side in the past.

As others have mentioned, despite its connotations 'direct' doesn't necessarily mean the same as 'long ball'. It just means focused on getting the ball forward quickly with the intention of scoring goals. Many top sides are direct in this way but very few of them play like Watford or Wimbledon of the 80s.

I thought the analysis was quite poor, though, with a disproportionate focus on West Ham interspersed with the occasional "Bristol are a good side" to provide what they obviously feel is balance but I felt was nonsense. Why not highlight why we're a good side by looking at Freeman's movement, or Korey Smith screening the defence, rather than just the fact that we have a big striker?

In hindsight and if you're only watching the highlights, pretty much all of our chances were headers that Smith couldn't quite put away.  If you watched the whole game, you'll see that the work of Korey Smith, Freeman, JET, Bryan, Little etc to set up those chances and get us in those positions was good football.

Our passing was better than West Ham's was today imo, ultimately it means nothing because we just came up short but it was nice to see us compete at a level like that.

In short, who gives a toss what Phil Neville thinks of us?

Phil Neville thinks? :o

Archived