IGNORED

Joe Edwards On His Way

Negan

According to The Post!

Newly-promoted Bristol City are considering a move for Joe Edwards, who captained Yeovil Town this season.

The 24-year-old had indicated a desire to leave Huish Park after three years on the Somerset club's books and was released by the club on Friday.

Relegated to League Two, the Glovers were in no position to offer Edwards a new deal and the Gloucester-born utility player is seeking a new challenge higher up the Football League.

City boss Steve Cotterill could offer the former City player the chance to return to Ashton Gate - two-and-a-half years after he was released and made available on a free transfer.

City have kept tabs on Edwards' progress during the past couple of seasons, regularly sending scouts to watch him play for Yeovil, both in the Championship and League One.

Cotterill has already spoken publicly of the need to strengthen a squad that is high in quality, yet small in quantity, and Edwards, a versatile type, is a free agent and would represent value for money.

Like so many players signed by Cotterill during his 18 months at the helm, Edwards is an athlete, boasts a sound workicon1.png ethic and can play in a number of positions.

A right-back by trade, Edwards joined the Robins in 2009 and, although he made only two first-team appearances in three years, he has since operated successfully both in League One and the Championship.

Joining Yeovil on a permanent basis in January 2013 following a successful loan spell at Huish Park, he helped them defeat Brentford 2-1 in the League One play-off final at Wembley and win promotion to the English second tier for the first time in the club's history.

Reinvented as a central midfielder by then-Glovers boss Gary Johnson, Edwards captained the team in the Championship, playing all 45 games in the 2013-14 campaign.

Hampered by an ankle injury, he played 34 times for the Glovers last season, but was unable to prevent the Somerset club suffering a second successive relegation. Edwards remains fiercely ambitious, wants to play at the highest level possible and could be handed a chance to do just that if City come calling.

In an interview that appeared in the Western Gazette newspaper on April 27, he said: "I think every player has goals and my goal is to play in the Premier League one day, so you always have to look forward."

Having released Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Dave Richards and Wade Elliott and seen loan signings George Saville and James Tavernier return to Wolves and Wigan, respectively, Cotterill is pursuing a number of transfer targets in order to supplement a squad that requires replenishing. But he has warned expectant City fans not to anticipate a rush of early signings when the transfer window opens.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Joe-Edwards-make-surprise-return-Bristol-City/story-26475016-detail/story.html#ixzz3Zo8icrbQ

Wos reckon then!? Would you have him back?

I've come to the point now where Cotts can sign anyone he bleedin likes as has been shown numerous of times, he knows what he is doing! Having said that I hope we are aiming higher than Joe Edwards. Haven't really seen much of Edwards but not sure if he is better than our current midfield 3...

Excellent signing if it happens.  Joe was always a very promising player, and he's had four years to develop at Yeovil, and then we get him back for nothing.  Rather like sending a player on an extended loan and getting him back when he's ready for us.  I think he'd be a very good addition to the squad (playing in central midfield, I should add).

He may be a replacement for Scott Wagstaff. He would cover all the roles that SW covers and may defend better and be more solid when playing in midfield. We will probably need a net increase of around 6 players and versatility could be the key. A large holding defensive midfielder who could double as cover for either Ayling or Williams - or even Pack, would be useful. I believe that someone on here mentioned a player from Peterborogh who could fit that position.

I think so, yes. We all do silly things, especially when young.

Evidently, you haven't stopped being a dick yet. Still, I'm sure you've got time on your side.

Ah yes that 'silly thing' of drink driving...

Cheers pal, let me know when you manage it too  :thumbsup:

Evidently, you haven't stopped being a dick yet. Still, I'm sure you've got time on your side.

Yes indeed- so true. I did something very very silly as a child in the 70's and I've been paying for it ever since.

But last season it didn't seem so silly after all. COYR.

Yep and some are more "silly" than others. Drink drivers being on the more moronic end of the scale I'm sure you'll agree.

Ah yes that 'silly thing' of drink driving...

Cheers pal, let me know when you manage it too  :thumbsup:

Ooo judging by the likes my post got it seems I'm not the only one that noticed what an annoying little oik you are james exclamation mark!

Anyway, onto Edwards. Not really a prospective signing to set the pulses racing is it? Replacement for Wagstaff? Is he even any better than Wagstaff? Not convinced at all, would be an underwhelming signing. The only positives I can think of are that he'd be cheap and is a versatile player - that's not going to be good enough this summer though, we need to add some real quality.

Ooo judging by the likes my post got it seems I'm not the only one that noticed what an annoying little oik you are james exclamation mark!

Anyway, onto Edwards. Not really a prospective signing to set the pulses racing is it? Replacement for Wagstaff? Is he even any better than Wagstaff? Not convinced at all, would be an underwhelming signing. The only positives I can think of are that he'd be cheap and is a versatile player - that's not going to be good enough this summer though, we need to add some real quality.

Would have liked more to be honest, and its exclamation mark james to you...

Why would we want him back? Im sorry but its a poor signing if true, no improvement in what we have at all.

Most said Wilbraham was no improvement on Marlon Harewood. Most asked why were we buying Ayling as we'd just bought Little and according to Yeovil Luke's better as a right back.

But only some learn from mistakes.

This seems very odd if true. Joe hasn't played right back for years, he's very much an energetic central midfielder now. He isn't going to displace Korey Smith or even Marlon Pack based on the end of last season. I would expect a much higher quality player to replace Wade. Unless he's purely being signed to bulk the squad out.

If there's any debate on whether he's an improvement on what we've already got, then it's a definite NO for me.

Looks like a bit of lazy journalism to me.

Depends who is debating and whether they are suitably qualified. Summer 2014 showed most on here haven't actually got a clue and trying to second guess what SC sees or is planning is pointless.

Fair enough exchange opinions but there has been very few opinions other than 'not good enough'. Few seem to be discussing his skill sets or attributes, what he has gone on to achieve since he left us and where he has or has not developed. Almost certainly those gobbing off the loudest are those who have seen just a few hours of his football since leaving us and are completely hipfiring.

Archived