IGNORED

Joe Edwards On His Way

Negan

I think this could be an excellent signing. He is young, versatile. He knows the club and does not stop running, a very hard worker. Can come in for Little when injured or in need of a rest, or he can play in centre midfield. I expect us to get another centre midfielder in but good to have another option there.

Edwards is a midfielder now, who can also play at full-back or wing-back. That's what he'd be signed as.

I understand people's arguments that we need to be looking at better than Ecwards but we also need a few more numbers wise and Edwards would improve our SQUAD, even if he isn't a starter ahead of Smith or Pack.

I fully expect us to sign a top striker and centre midfielder to add more quality but not every player you sign can be better than what you've got. Edwards would give us depth, versatility, athleticism. I reckon he'd be a good addition to our squad along with the signing of a more high profile central midfielder and striker.

whats up with osborne then? i thought he was ok,just couldnt break into the back line

I just think Osborne is not able to play the same positions

I like Osborne and don't think he's a bad player, for a player that is strong and quick, he never seemed to be in the right place when he was played as a wing back. I'd keep him in the squad if he is willing to challenge the back 3 - I do think he is the only player that could cover for Flint if he wasn't available and could potentially cover for Ayling but wouldn't see his City career over if this came through

We could do with a player that could cover Williams better than Cunningham can, he is not a CB but that is a debate for another thread

Edwards is a midfielder now, who can also play at full-back or wing-back. That's what he'd be signed as.

I understand people's arguments that we need to be looking at better than Ecwards but we also need a few more numbers wise and Edwards would improve our SQUAD, even if he isn't a starter ahead of Smith or Pack.

I fully expect us to sign a top striker and centre midfielder to add more quality but not every player you sign can be better than what you've got. Edwards would give us depth, versatility, athleticism. I reckon he'd be a good addition to our squad along with the signing of a more high profile central midfielder and striker.

We had better cover for the starters in League 1 than we would have should we sign Edwards. I can't believe anyone who's seen him play more than three times would want him in a Championship midfield.

We had better cover for the starters in League 1 than we would have should we sign Edwards. I can't believe anyone who's seen him play more than three times would want him in a Championship midfield.

Like that awful Wilbraham? Don't remember too many working themselves up into a frenzy about Wilbs, Ayling, Pack, Agard or Flint but we just romped the league.

For me Cotts has earned complete faith and if he thinks he's worth a place in the squad, I'm not going to argue.

Like that awful Wilbraham? Don't remember too many working themselves up into a frenzy about Wilbs, Ayling, Pack, Agard or Flint but we just romped the league.

For me Cotts has earned complete faith and if he thinks he's worth a place in the squad, I'm not going to argue.

This whole "i'm going to leave it to SC, I trust his judgement" thing is becoming the boring catchphrase of the close-season already!

What's the point in speculation threads if people can't express their opinions on potential signings?

Thats not a dig at you, I've seen so many people say that over the last couple of weeks!

I can't speak for Wilbraham, people were clearly wide of the mark, I didn't pass comment so it's not got any bearing on this. I don't judge players I haven't seen, evidently a lot of members do.

If Cotterill signs him, of course I'd back his judgement. I won't need to, though.

This whole "i'm going to leave it to SC, I trust his judgement" thing is becoming the boring catchphrase of the close-season already!

What's the point in speculation threads if people can't express their opinions on potential signings?

Thats not a dig at you, I've seen so many people say that over the last couple of weeks!

Exactly. "I'll leave it to Cotts" is just shorthand for "I don't really know what to think about this"

With that in mind, I don't really know what to think about this. Joe has a decent amount of championship games under his belt, but hasn't particularly distinguished himself in terms of the results he achieved. My feeling is that as well as a Wade Elliot replacement who can go box to box and provide a bit of craft, we might want someone who's a bit more destructive and defensive to play when we're facing one of the more well resourced and attack-minded teams. We can get someone like that who knows the club and won't need time to 'settle into the area' and is available on a free transfer. That would be my interpretation of any move to sign him, though as it's thus far only appeared in the Post, we shall see what happens

Speculation and opinions are great, but you'll notice a lot of those responses are to one-line posts which don't offer any opinion or speculation as to the type of player he is, the way he plays, how he has developed since being at Yeovil, who he compares to in the team, who he would challenge etc.

Just as 'Trust Cotts feels a catchphrase 'not good enough' feels a catchphrase for the ill-informed who are completely guessing. 'Not good enough because ....' is a far different thing.

barnsley bound , deal all but done ..then sc makes a inquiry.... thats all i know

A move to Barnsley would be much better for his career. He'd play regular first team football for a club with a good manager who should be pushing for promotion next season. I don't think he would be a regular starter for City and, at his age, he shouldn't be sitting on the bench.

I'm going to leave it for Cotts to answer that. Steve, Steve....?

I seem to remember very positive receptions on here for Ayling, Pack and Flint, all of whom had been mooted enthusiastically as potential signings beforehand.

With Wilbraham, although he was a very familiar name there was a lot of ignorance ( me included) about what sort of player he was and his age and goalscoring record were hardly likely to inspire excitement. Safe to say we almost all got that one wrong.

Plenty of excitement about the signing of Agard after his goalscoring feats at Rotherham, and unfortunately he's one who hasn't yet lived up to expectations.

As for Edwards he seems to have become a good pro., unspectacular but solid. He's obviously made his mark at Yeovil, whether that's enough for him to be be an asset to us going forward is another matter entirely.

For me, from what I've seen, there'd be no lack of energy and commitment but he's not as good a footballer as any of the players he may step in for, and we should be looking to sign players who will not only not weaken us when called upon, but are genuinely the best of their type in the lower divisions. Young players with the potential to dislodge our favourites, nurtured under Cotts. to replace them seamlessly if they are ever injured or sold on.

I just don't think Joe's one of these outstanding young improvers and would end up a permanent fringe player.

For me, from what I've seen, there'd be no lack of energy and commitment but he's not as good a footballer as any of the players he may step in for, and we should be looking to sign players who will not only not weaken us when called upon, but are genuinely the best of their type in the lower divisions. Young players with the potential to dislodge our favourites, nurtured under Cotts. to replace them seamlessly if they are ever injured or sold on.

I just don't think Joe's one of these outstanding young improvers and would end up a permanent fringe player

No interest in Ryan Woods yet...http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2015/05/11/micky-mellon-no-offers-made-for-town-duo/

He'd fit the bill as a young, outstanding prospect...proper footballer who'd fit into our system

Harsh but true

Not denying it's true, but that I'd doesn't really mean much.

Wilbraham; 2 league goals and less than 50 league appearances in three years prior to joining last summer.

Ayling; freshly relegated with Yeovil.

Freeman: just relegated with Stevenage.

And most of our squad looked terrible under SO'D - players can work better under different managers.

And according to his agent is available for around 300k.....

Would be a great piece of business at that price I reckon! Though Shrews turned down a bid from West Ham in January so not sure how much they bid??

Has been a deep-lying playmaker for Shrews but confident he could be a ready-made replacement for Wade.

If we want him, we gotta get in quick though as they'll surely be plenty of interest in him over the summer.

No interest in Ryan Woods yet...http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2015/05/11/micky-mellon-no-offers-made-for-town-duo/

He'd fit the bill as a young, outstanding prospect...proper footballer who'd fit into our system

Don't know anything about him Kid, but  if he's the prospect you think he is I'd hope we are aware of him.

Joe Edwards seems too much of an uninspired signing - he's local, ex-City, an alright sort of player who'll never let you down commitment wise, but also never likely to improve us.

Outstanding young players from out of the way places like Shrewsbury, completely off the radar of ordinary fans, are much more intriguing.

I should hope - and fully expect - that Cotterill, and particularly Keith Burt, are scouring the whole country, and if they then decide one of the best prospects for City is conveniently an ex-City youngster as close as Yeovil, fair enough, but I'll be surprised.

If he's a better player than the player he replaces on the bench then we have IMPROVED our squad / team, no?

Exactly - people seem to think that we should only ever bring in people to dislodge current first eleven players, but that's not the only option.

We have no Elliot or Tavernier or Saville now, and Wagstaff made only nine appearances after January and has played something like five Championship games in his career; it's pretty clear we need people who can cover the centre and right, so if someone like Edwards who has experience at the level we're heading to, is cheap, and is younger than what we have now is available, then it makes sense.

barnsley bound , deal all but done ..then sc makes a inquiry.... thats all i know

Not beyond the bounds of possibility that we are already discovering (as Spudski said earlier in this thread) that Championship wages are crazy and so seeing as we only have 16 players at present, we are revising some of our targets to ensure we have a big enough squad by August.

Fulham also linked with Jed Wallace now, we'd undoubtedly be third in terms of wages with them and Wolves.

Not beyond the bounds of possibility that we are already discovering (as Spudski said earlier in this thread) that Championship wages are crazy and so seeing as we only have 16 players at present, we are revising some of our targets to ensure we have a big enough squad by August.

Fulham also linked with Jed Wallace now, we'd undoubtedly be third in terms of wages with them and Wolves.

I don't think Championship wages would be a surprise to us..

Don't know anything about him Kid, but  if he's the prospect you think he is I'd hope we are aware of him.

Joe Edwards seems too much of an uninspired signing - he's local, ex-City, an alright sort of player who'll never let you down commitment wise, but also never likely to improve us.

Outstanding young players from out of the way places like Shrewsbury, completely off the radar of ordinary fans, are much more intriguing.

I should hope - and fully expect - that Cotterill, and particularly Keith Burt, are scouring the whole country, and if they then decide one of the best prospects for City is conveniently an ex-City youngster as close as Yeovil, fair enough, but I'll be surprised.

You know I don't like agreeing with you but this is bang on.

Archived