IGNORED

Joe Edwards On His Way

Negan

By that logic you could say Messi is limited because he can't defend! (Although, wouldn't surprise me if he could !!)

Well yes and no. Yes, presumably he isn't Jaap Stam at the back so there is some limit to his abilities, but its not a limitation in that he doesn't need to defend in the role that he plays in the team. It's like criticising Joe Hart for his corner taking skills - its not a nonsense to suggest it may be a limitation of his personal attributes but its absolutely a nonsense to talk about it as a limitation viz a viz the 11 men that line up together.

Even last night one of the commentators mentioned the fact that in their top 3 Suarez does the donkey work allowing Neymar and Messi free roles. The tenacity of Suarez compliments the other two - and who would have thought Suarez would be your disciplined striker.... its all part of managers seeing attributes and an ability to mould an individual into the fulfilling the role you desire - whether JE has the attributes SC desires we shall soon find out. Personally I've always found him a tidy, unremarkable player, the kind of player every team needs to go about business quietly and give the platform from which players like Freeman etc stand out.

I'll put my head above the parapet - I agree with everything Monkeh has said this morn on the matter.

Flint doesn't need to be good on the ball. We play with three ball-playing midfielders, being able to play is a must.

Also, Smith has shown himself to be adept going forward when given licence, LJ touched on how he can find himself stifled by his superior defensive ability before he joined us. And the amount of slide tackles Freeman puts in, considering he's playing in a free role, is very good. If anything, his weakness is his height; but that's not why he's there.

Maybe, but I doubt it. We could recruit a player with that tenacity and the ability to pass, and I'm sure we will.

You must have seen an awful lot of Yeovil games to be so positive about what Edwards can and cannot do.

I'd argue that smith is limited because he is defensive and not attacking enough but he is a cog that keeps the midfield turning

Flint isn't the best on the ball but that doesn't mean he isn't vital to the defence with his height

Freeman is limited because he can't defend for toffee but we play to his strengths by giving free roam of the attacking third

Freeman actually wins a surprising amount of ball imo.

And Swindon fans still talk about how limited Flint is.

Wilbraham was written off as a carthorse.

Ayling in the same team that got relegated with Edwards.

Sorry for expressing an opinion based on something I've seen. I'm not sure what else you want me to say.

Sorry for expressing an opinion based on something I've seen. I'm not sure what else you want me to say.

I'm just saying that just because a player doesn't jump out at you whilst playing for a rival, doesn't mean they should be written off.

We went a long way in the Championship before having not had a squad of big name players, but the team just worked. Not every signing is going to be a big name flair player

I'm just saying that just because a player doesn't jump out at you whilst playing for a rival, doesn't mean they should be written off.

We went a long way in the Championship before having not had a squad of big name players, but the team just worked. Not every signing is going to be a big name flair player

Partly true, but after a while you get an idea of a player's strengths and weakenesses. A lot of Swindon fans still rate Flint, if you read around, it's always the reactionaries you want to watch out for. Also, I don't think anyone at Yeovil thought Ayling wasn't good enough.

Partly true, but after a while you get an idea of a player's strengths and weakenesses. A lot of Swindon fans still rate Flint, if you read around, it's always the reactionaries you want to watch out for. Also, I don't think anyone at Yeovil thought Ayling wasn't good enough.

Flints weakness list would have been a lot longer than the strengths list last season. If Cotts thinks he can get the best from Edwards then great.

All speculation of course unless I've missed something!

Archived