IGNORED

Pubs That Have Gone

myol'man

Horse And Jockey.

was really racking me 'ead on that one.

TBH I never did that as a single crawl although almost did though. Did the town to Wood thing a couple of times some good boozers on that list. There ain't many pubs in Brizzle I ain't been in other than a few in deepest Hartcliffe/Wythy area and most of them have gone now.

The Antelope on Sturminster Road:  near where my sister lives.  I recall being in there one Christmas Eve years ago, and having to pop back to see if my sister was still in there:  watched the closing time festive cheer through the window as some lad got attacked with a pool cue, and figured my sister could sort herself out and headed back to hers.  I presume it was simply a disagreement about which church they should head to for midnight mass.

Recall a friend driving me over to Twerton for the 0-4: on the way we had to pick my sister up at the Antelope: he took one look at the place, and insisted he was staying in the car with the engine running.

The Felly on Filton Avenue.

City pub in supposed gas heartland. Closer to The Mem than one of their 'main' boozers The Bulldog.

Not quite a City pub, it was the closest pub to where I live,but loads of city in there,the Bulldog is known as the billy ball bag around here because most of the regulars talk total bollocks.

Smyth Arms may as well be gone, a proper boozer traded off for food.

Could argue that the whole point of saving the albert inn on west street was because of its live music.. I think it's closed about 3 times since being saved.. kinda a pointless.

I came across this one. http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/ There are only 48,000 pubs left in the UK.

Another survey http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/apr/12/general-election-labour-manifesto-pub-closures It says by 1980 there were 69,000 pubs. By 2010 there were 52,000. I blame the governments for this for over taxing and the smoking ban. They should have given the pubs a choice on if they wanted to be smoke free or not.

Back in my yoof one of our favourite crawls was to catch the bus to old market and then hit every pub

on the way back up to the wood...we even made it back once !

would be nearly pissed before we got out of old market........... :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Used to do that in bemmie meet mate in Raymond go though windmill hill then down though east st half n each pun half pi^S before we got in town

I came across this one. http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/ There are only 48,000 pubs left in the UK.

Another survey http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/apr/12/general-election-labour-manifesto-pub-closures It says by 1980 there were 69,000 pubs. By 2010 there were 52,000. I blame the governments for this for over taxing and the smoking ban. They should have given the pubs a choice on if they wanted to be smoke free or not.

Blame the breweries.

I've no doubt pubs will find their place in our society again, but I doubt we'll ever get back what we've lost. I'd love to get my hands on the Barrs Court, but it wouldn't be a boozer in the traditional sense, the worlds moved on.

The Highwayman, top of Warmley Hill, was my local and I used to work there for a while. Great pub in the late 80's early 90's until the landlord Barry was forced out by the brewery. He even built a ski slope in the back garden and managed to get himself into the Sun newspaper for it.

In came the managers and it was a downhill all the way.

The White Hart and the Holly Bush in Brislington.

The former is now a dance school (!) and the latter is now flats.

Both pubs were vitally important parts of growing up for me - great memories!

Some tasty pubs around the Wells road area. The Bush, The Totterdown, The Phoenix. The Bell, The Talbot, The Three Lamps.

Crikey, makes me realise how many pubs used to be within a pretty easy walking distance from where I live. Used to really like the White Hart. Watched a good few England games in there on the big screen and also a couple of City away games I couldn't get to (like Sunderland away when Soren Anderson got the late equaliser).

I also remember a couple of pubs in town that would have been knocked down when Cabot Circus was built. I think they were called the Mail Coach and The Crown?

Bourne End was a great pub just a shame nobody used it towards the end.

One I do not mourn the passing of was Wayfarer. Rancid pit in my opinion.

The Bush Totterdown was ok but got ridden with druggy types and now a creche.

Park House St John's Lane had a rough edge but was ok. Obviously closed after that tradgic night.

Mayors Arms in Redcliffe was a typical 70s estate pub. Remember the landlord was ancient. Now a ruby house.

I used to go in The Clipper back in the day on Prince Street. It was full of City fans and folks from South Bristol going into Town.

There used to be an internal door through to the Porthouse night club so regulars could nip into the night club free of charge.

Sunday lunch time was great in there live music and food on the bar.

Park House St John's Lane had a rough edge but was ok. Obviously closed after that tradgic night.

Was just about to post the same pub, not one to really reminisce over as a bit sparse and occasionally a bit "lively" but was my local for a while and dirt cheap and very local crowd. Ended up in a few lock-ins including after one of our Millennium Stadium finals and great craic and people who liked a song. Had moved up North St way well before it's unfortunate end so couldn't say I really missed it but sad way to go. Very few small street corner pubs in residential areas left in BS3. Try Again gone as well, and White Horse. Always liked the ones that were a bit out the way, locals only, never uncomfortably busy but still plenty of buzz.

In my younger days, one of the pub runs we used to do was :-

9ish in the morning get Bert ( better known as Martin landlord of the Masonic ? ) to open up the Ship and castle for a few early ones, curtains closed so the law couldn't put their noses in, and keep the noise down not to wake Carol up ( a brave man to do that! ) a very sad day when the ship closed down. Bert ran the pub as a pub should be run .

12.00 walk up to The Robins, never a great favourite of mine but was on the way to our next destination.

12.30 catch the bus to the Luckwell pub, a good pint served but all ways took a long time to be served

1.00 walk up to the Hen and Chiken, cider not up to much.

1.30 a quick food stop in the Willow garden, ( sore finger) could be a bit messy ! Clarks pies shop for some of my mates

1.45 The Coopers always a good pint, but the landlady was miserable as sin.

2.00 Bs3 the cider was a bit hit or miss.

2.30 The Wedlocks, try to get in, as it was always packed,probably spilt more than we drank.

2.50 stagger over to the park end .

Over the years the pub runs have changed, but the Ship and Castle was normally our starting point. A great pub and sadly missed.

Bourne End was a great pub just a shame nobody used it towards the end.

One I do not mourn the passing of was Wayfarer. Rancid pit in my opinion.

The Bush Totterdown was ok but got ridden with druggy types and now a creche.

Mayors Arms in Redcliffe was a typical 70s estate pub. Remember the landlord was ancient. Now a ruby house.

I heard a police station is to built on the site of the Wayferer? Quite apt considering it's history with the Police. But tbh in the last year it had a decent landlord Paddy? He didn't stand for any trouble and had security on the doors most night. Last I heard he had a pub in Bemmy somewhere. He's a massive City fan too. So in the end it was a decent pub and was sad to see it go.

I came across this one. http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/ There are only 48,000 pubs left in the UK.

Another survey http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/apr/12/general-election-labour-manifesto-pub-closures It says by 1980 there were 69,000 pubs. By 2010 there were 52,000. I blame the governments for this for over taxing and the smoking ban. They should have given the pubs a choice on if they wanted to be smoke free or not.

Blame people, mostly. Consumption of beer is way down on 1980 and pubs just don't sell enough wine or spirits to stay afloat.

Archived