IGNORED

Pubs That Have Gone

myol'man

Which years are you talking about? My uncle used to be the landlord there with my Auntie, and my nan and mother worked there at the same time !

Was thinking the landlord here may have been Dennis Roberts ex City centre half so checked on Wiki and no he was landlord at the nearby Ship ( Cathay ) not to be confused with the Ship on Redcliffe Hill when Pets Paradise was on the corner with Guinea St.  Dennis also landlord of the Avon Packet. Have a look at the entry for Dennis on Wiki, was he Flint's role model?

Anyone remember the name of the other pub on redcliffe hill, and no not the Coleseum or whatever it was originally called.

• Admin

The Lamb on West Street, had many a late night lock in over the years, a very interesting couple called Larry and Avis ran it - knocked down now.

The Mendip Gate, was a stopping off place for quite a few, back when Bristol had different licensing hours to the surrounding area's, Bristol pubs shut at 10.30, Somerset 11.00pm. So the Mendip Gate would empty at 10.25 as most of the customers would get up Dundry Hill to The Dundry Inn and get an extra half hours drinking in.

This all day, late night opening is OK, but there were always pubs to be found that had 'early doors' or 'late uns' and it was much more enjoyable drinking with the curtains closed and one eye out for the old bill.

At one time I drank in The Fox St Phillips and there was quite a good community spirit amongst the pubs in the area, some coppers, ambulance crew and firemen used the pubs, they all did lock ins. A new DCI was put in place at Trinity Road nick, he was quite anti drinking, especially lock ins, he used to have a 10pm briefing when the shift started and tell the duty coppers which pubs they were going to raid that night. Rest assured, word always got to the pub, the punters were either kicked out or secreted in the Landlords living accomodation and he was frustrated time and time again at the pub being 'closed' properly after hours.

now called the drawbridge

can remember it as cannons always lively

Ah! Cannons now that was a lively pub,strictly no sags allowed,as for the Drawbridge it has been there since Victorian times,it was actually opposite a drawbridge.

college tavern. Martin the landlord in 1990. mad days. before marriott was built. then on to corkers or the naval volunteer "volley".

Thursaday and Sunday nights at the Steam rock on king St

That place used to be rammed, not sure they'd allow it these days.

College Tavern and Corkers, remember the names but can't place them? Did the College Tavern become Mr Popes, by the bridge at the bottom of Park street?

Pubs that live in the memory !

Enterprise, friday nights down there had to be witnessed to be believed,good times, Golden Cockerel, fighting cocks, the venture was another notorious pub i had the privilege to enjoy one pint in - 

Anyone remember The Spring Gardens aka The Springer at the end of the M32? There's a blue plaque (not an 'official' one) on the front of the building where it once stood. Quite a nice touch, I think .

Also, Princes Bar-part of the former Linden Hotel in Kingswood, and The Rotunda-demolished a few years ago and rebuilt in a 'rotunda-esque' fashion as flats.

That place used to be rammed, not sure they'd allow it these days.

College Tavern and Corkers, remember the names but can't place them? Did the College Tavern become Mr Popes, by the bridge at the bottom of Park street?

college tavern became the Greenhouse. do you remember it?

anyone remember Patrick at Pappillons/Odyssey. pulling you from the queue as he had barred you 6 months ago. never forgot a face.

college tavern became the Greenhouse. do you remember it?

anyone remember Patrick at Pappillons/Odyssey. pulling you from the queue as he had barred you 6 months ago. never forgot a face.

haha That guy and his mate the bald fella. Quality.

Archived