IGNORED

Pubs That Have Gone

myol'man

Yeh, he was great fun, especially when he wouldn't let you in, but all your mates were ok to go in !

His best one was the walk around the block if you were slightly pissed, then go back and he still never let you in!

His best one was the walk around the block if you were slightly pissed, then go back and he still never let you in!

He had a certain dislike for a mate of mine, he'd never let him. Hated going on the pi55 with him as everyone else was inside, so we'd end up in bloody Evolution.

I came across this one. http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/ There are only 48,000 pubs left in the UK.

Another survey http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/apr/12/general-election-labour-manifesto-pub-closures It says by 1980 there were 69,000 pubs. By 2010 there were 52,000. I blame the governments for this for over taxing and the smoking ban. They should have given the pubs a choice on if they wanted to be smoke free or not.

This link below shows the loss of a further 4k since 2010...

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/whos-killing-the-british-pub

About 69k in 1980 to around 48k now.

The highest qty of pub closures was actually 2007 when the economy was strong; recession is therefore not the most important factor for pub closures.

The smoking ban, which is amongst the toughest in the world, has been a major factor for pub closures especially those most of us love.. inner city traditional free houses with no outside gardens. I am not a smoker but i miss those free houses with the huge choice of English beers.

Labour brought in the duty escalator in 2008 and increased duty by a whopping 6%; this really hit the price of a beer. So much for helping the working classes. The Tories, though, true to form, increased VAT from 15 to 20% in 2011 which also hit the price of a pint but they did abolish the duty escalator widely considered to be grossly unfair on beer and fuel.

Pub prices are much higher than supermarkets but people are prepared to pay a premium for the pub experience but not at any price. 

Alcohol consumption, especially of traditional ales is also on the decline.

So all of the above are reasons.

Here is the conclusion of that report:-

Conclusion

Pubs are struggling from a lack of demand for pubs which has been largely due to government policy. The government cannot - and should not - undo the cultural changes that have led to people choosing alternative leisure activities, but it can undo the damage it has caused through taxation and regulation. If it is genuinely concerned about the future of the pub trade, it should significantly reduce alcohol duty, relax the smoking ban, reduce VAT to 15 per cent (and lower it further for food sales), abolish cumulative impact zones and scrap the late night levy.

Not pubs, but clubs I miss

Tropic Club, Moon Club and most of all Tiffany's with it's plastic palm trees and Ronnie Butler on the door

I always got on ok with Ronnie Butler as I knew his son at school. I remember people being terrified of him and could never understand why!

Archived