IGNORED

Where will we finish?

reddogkev

8 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Top six is out of the question absolutely no chance. I think we will scrape it over the line as there are at lease three worse teams.

staying up was always the goal and hopefully that can be achieved so we can start establishing ourselves in the league again and start aiming higher. 

With respect...I don't think just 'staying up' was the goal.

Back in the Summer SC was talking about winning the Championship and us being an unknown quantity and that we would surprise a few.

That soon changed though, after a poor start....when he reverted to using a phrase about the players needing 15 games to adapt to this league.

As for where we will finish...who knows....a lot may happen between now and the end of the season.

We may still have SC...we may not.

Who will we bring in during January? Injuries to key players....etc,etc.

If we keep injury free and have SC still in charge and add a couple players....I will guess bottom third.

Don't think just staying up was the goal but think it is and has been the goal for a bit now. Have to cut SC some slack for the lack of signings. Think as is there are a few worse teams than us. Rotherham, Bolton and Charlton. We will be there with MK and Preston as well. Still too early because if we do any decent business in January then we could shoot up. If we lose Bennett in January then we could fall in to those bottom 3. As is with this squad, I'll say 18th.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

With respect...I don't think just 'staying up' was the goal.

Back in the Summer SC was talking about winning the Championship and us being an unknown quantity and that we would surprise a few.

That soon changed though, after a poor start....when he reverted to using a phrase about the players needing 15 games to adapt to this league.

As for where we will finish...who knows....a lot may happen between now and the end of the season.

We may still have SC...we may not.

Who will we bring in during January? Injuries to key players....etc,etc.

If we keep injury free and have SC still in charge and add a couple players....I will guess bottom third.

As ever, Spud- you've hooked me.

We may not have Steve based on.......?

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

As ever, Spud- you've hooked me.

We may not have Steve based on.......?

Football... ;-)

We just don't know....SC may have an amazing run for all we know.

He may not win for a while....find us bottom and get the sack.

It's an unknown quantity....

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Football... ;-)

We just don't know....SC may have an amazing run for all we know.

He may not win for a while....find us bottom and get the sack.

It's an unknown quantity....

Yep- although SL is never a panic button guy so we would really need to be hovering over the trap door before he pushes it.

p.s what a great goal by Ali!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I said 17th in the pre season threads on this, no reason to change my mind yet, but would be well chuffed with that...

You should go for the managers job mate...as you seem to know more about whether our players are table toppers in this league than him. haha....said with tongue firmly in cheek...but it does make you wonder ;-)

At the end of the last campaign, I strongly believed our squad to be capable of a top ten finish in this league but after a pretty poor recruitment campaign, and a shaky start I feel 14th is realistically achievable, although I wouldn't completely write off top ten just yet.

I have the feeling we have finally found our feet, and upwards is the only way.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

You should go for the managers job mate...as you seem to know more about whether our players are table toppers in this league than him. haha....said with tongue firmly in cheek...but it does make you wonder ;-)

Well, I was player manager of a local league team for twelve years, we finished between 6th and 9th in the same division during that period! Winning one cup competition!

Spectacularly unspectacular!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, I was player manager of a local league team for twelve years, we finished between 6th and 9th in the same division during that period! Winning one cup competition!

Spectacularly unspectacular!

Don't knock yourself matey...imho, there is a lot of luck in managing football teams. It's just getting the opportunity....and unless you've played pro football, your chances are slim. However, I truly believe there will be people out there, that could do a good job managing a Pro football team that haven't played pro before.

It's a game for the boys ;-)

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Don't knock yourself matey...imho, there is a lot of luck in managing football teams. It's just getting the opportunity....and unless you've played pro football, your chances are slim. However, I truly believe there will be people out there, that could do a good job managing a Pro football team that haven't played pro before.

It's a game for the boys ;-)

Yep, I agree, some fans have watched over 1000 games - why shouldn't they be able to know how to set up a team to win a football match?

The problem is the over paid show ponies (sorry, footballers) wouldn't respect a guy who'd never played the game at their level.

Big companies recruit managers all the time who have no specific experience of their particular sector, category or market, but they have relevant enough experience to ensure they can make a difference.

I'm as guilty as most in saying 'X manager' has great experience at our level with proven success...etc.

But why can't a guy or gal with zero playing experience be a top manager?

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, I agree, some fans have watched over 1000 games - why shouldn't they be able to know how to set up a team to win a football match?

The problem is the over paid show ponies (sorry, footballers) wouldn't respect a guy who'd never played the game at their level.

Big companies recruit managers all the time who have no specific experience of their particular sector, category or market, but they have relevant enough experience to ensure they can make a difference.

I'm as guilty as most in saying 'X manager' has great experience at our level with proven success...etc.

But why can't a guy or gal with zero playing experience be a top manager?

Watching football and being a 'student' of it, are the difference imo.

Learning about coaching, scouting, formations, tactics, players, positions etc,etc....if you fully immerse yourself in it...it helps. Look at Jose for example and Arsene to a lesser extent.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Watching football and being a 'student' of it, are the difference imo.

Learning about coaching, scouting, formations, tactics, players, positions etc,etc....if you fully immerse yourself in it...it helps. Look at Jose for example and Arsene to a lesser extent.

Yeh, get your point but I still think it's over complicated at times.

As Clough said:

'If your centre half can just head the ball away he's a 4th div player'

'If he can head the ball away and tackle he's a 3rd div player'

'If he can head the ball away, tackle, control the ball and hoof it he's a 2nd div player'

'If he can head the ball away, tackle, control the ball and pass it he's a 1st div player'

Is it so complex as we're led to believe?!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, get your point but I still think it's over complicated at times.

As Clough said:

'If your centre half can just head the ball away he's a 4th div player'

'If he can head the ball away and tackle he's a 3rd div player'

'If he can head the ball away, tackle, control the ball and hoof it he's a 2nd div player'

'If he can head the ball away, tackle, control the ball and pass it he's a 1st div player'

Is it so complex as we're led to believe?!

Since Cloughs days....yes ;-)

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He won two European Cups when it was arguably more difficult than the Champions League - in those days you played only the best team from each country and if you lost just one tie you were out...

In deed he did mate...and he was a great manager, for his time.

Things have moved on dramatically...it may not seem so from the stands or from the TV...but football is now like a game of chess, carried out by the likes of Napolean and Wellington with the resources of a finely tuned F1 team...if you get my drift ;-)

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

In deed he did mate...and he was a great manager, for his time.

Things have moved on dramatically...it may not seem so from the stands or from the TV...but football is now like a game of chess, carried out by the likes of Napolean and Wellington with the resources of a finely tuned F1 team...if you get my drift ;-)

Great analogy which I'm not sure I totally understand by the way?!

So, what more would you expect from your centre half at the top level from that of Cloughie's analysis?!

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great analogy which I'm not sure I totally understand by the way?!

So, what more would you expect from your centre half at the top level from that of Cloughie's analysis?!

Nowadays, Athletism, stamina, technique, speed of thought and body, reading and understanding the game, health, diet, personality, understanding tactics and why we do them, organisational skills etc,etc,etc.

It really is the little things at the top level that make the difference.

A pass is just not a pass thse days...it has to be weighted correctly, to the right foot to receive, body shape etc...if you don't get things like that right, especially technique....then the speed of the game over takes you. The top players practice this over and over again until second nature.

It's the very small margins....for example....watch when we have a throw in...more often than not, it's just thrown at the player without thought. Often bouncing and making the player have to adjust and control and lose time.

A top player will throw the ball to the right foot with no bounce...giving time to the receiving player.

Just an example...but these are the type of things coached that people don't often see or recognise...and it makes all the difference.

14 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Can you enlarge on this please. Who and why you think so?

The 4 below us and Preston. Our form is better than our league position and after a terrible start, we now look better than those teams. I think our players are better.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Nowadays, Athletism, stamina, technique, speed of thought and body, reading and understanding the game, health, diet, personality, understanding tactics and why we do them, organisational skills etc,etc,etc.

It really is the little things at the top level that make the difference.

A pass is just not a pass thse days...it has to be weighted correctly, to the right foot to receive, body shape etc...if you don't get things like that right, especially technique....then the speed of the game over takes you. The top players practice this over and over again until second nature.

It's the very small margins....for example....watch when we have a throw in...more often than not, it's just thrown at the player without thought. Often bouncing and making the player have to adjust and control and lose time.

A top player will throw the ball to the right foot with no bounce...giving time to the receiving player.

Just an example...but these are the type of things coached that people don't often see or recognise...and it makes all the difference.

Fair play mate, a good summary

On 17 November 2015 at 13:22:54, aa_bcfc said:

Just for my understanding who are the teams worse than us?

bolton should have beat us, mk outplayed us 2nd half. 

I expect the teams in and around us in the table would be thinking that can finish above us. I'm sure that's what Bolton would think. 

On 17 November 2015 at 10:10:19, Woodsy said:

Said either 15th or 16th in July, see no reason to change that

We won't go down, there are 3 worse teams than us, but I doubt there are that many more if I'm honest

After yesterday who are the teams worse than us who we can finish above? Don't normally lose 3-0 to teams you are better than.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎08‎:‎21‎:‎55, aa_bcfc said:

After yesterday who are the teams worse than us who we can finish above? Don't normally lose 3-0 to teams you are better than.

Blimey, did you wait for a shocking result before replying to this? Bet you didn't think that after 1-1 with a star studded Hull last weekend?

And yes, Rotherham are one of the 3 who I think we can finish above. You don't, I presume?

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Blimey, did you wait for a shocking result before replying to this? Bet you didn't think that after 1-1 with a star studded Hull last weekend?

And yes, Rotherham are one of the 3 who I think we can finish above. You don't, I presume?

Not really mate. I replied to this thread 2 weeks ago and thought it better to restart the thread rather than start a new one. 

To be honest I was more optimistic after the hull game but my question still exists around who are the 3 teams who will be below us if we are to stay up and as importantly why we think those teams will be below us.  

47 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Not really mate. I replied to this thread 2 weeks ago and thought it better to restart the thread rather than start a new one. 

To be honest I was more optimistic after the hull game but my question still exists around who are the 3 teams who will be below us if we are to stay up and as importantly why we think those teams will be below us.  

For me, Rotherham (looks odd after Saturday!), Bolton & Preston are the three we should be finishing above. MK & Charlton on a level, apart from those 5, and us, I can't think of anyone I'd be confident that we are 'better' than. Scary

What I've found with City (and history is irrelevant only that it has an effect on my psychology) is that when we go down, we go down in style!  Usually by a margin of several points, cut adrift with games to spare ('95, '99 and '13).

This season and this division just don't have the same 'feel' as previous relegations when we looked inevitably doomed before Christmas.  

So I reckon we'll be alright.  Let's just hope a better strategy is in place for the Summer of 2016! 

Saturday btw, was an example of us not fancying cold and wind swept 'oop northess', bless 'em! especially having gone a goal down early on, against the run of play.  It shouldn't, in isolation, be used as a barometer of our season as a whole. 

I reckon we'll finish 20th.

Archived