IGNORED

How good is Jonathan Kodjia?

reddogkev

For the record, I wasn't at the game yesterday as was away with the family.  As such I have not seen any match highlights.

I tipped him to score 3 (on paper I expected this to be the type of open game where we would create numerous chances for him, and I believed he was good enough to finish a fair percentage of them).

I was wrong, and now I've read on here that he missed numerous chances and often found himself in an offside position.

And why did he not take the penalty?  (I firmly believe that the main striker should always take penalties - should be a requisite of the job)

So what went wrong with our French diamond against Charlton?  I'm interested in knowing why he didn't score, and whether he's going to have a productive end to the season.

Was his finishing poor yesterday, or did we not provide him the service he needed?

Cheers, folks.

a very bad day at the office for the kid, in fact he actually prevented one effort going in and a second where his attempt turned into a clearance! He kept trying though and some of his chasing and running down defenders kept us on the front foot for long periods. I think he was trying too hard at times, he needs to be cooler in front of goal.

Interesting, so he is still a reliable source of creating chances, but not yet the finished article when it comes to end product.

January has to be about finding him a partner he can build something truly exciting with.

And if he is extremely raw, was he actually worth 2 million? (For example, you wouldn't pay 2 million for a raw League One striker without some raised eyebrows).

I guess if we had signed our 'big name' striker, then Kodjia would have been eased into English football and not have faced the pressure of being our main goalscorer.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Not as good as some on here think, I said before he was nowhere near premier league quality.

Unfortunately, you seem to be right.  Luckily we don't need him to be Prem quality (not yet anyway), just good enough to start putting teams like Charlton to the sword.

Thought the whole team including Pack played very well, except Jimmy who whilst caused the defence a lot of problems with his skill did not do his job of scoring or even getting it on target. Love watching him and will be a great asset one day, but we need a quality proven striker in Jan, I don't think he was ever intended to be our main striker and needs to have the pressure off his shoulders.

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Interesting, so he is still a reliable source of creating chances, but not yet the finished article when it comes to end product.

January has to be about finding him a partner he can build something truly exciting with.

And if he is extremely raw, was he actually worth 2 million? (For example, you wouldn't pay 2 million for a raw League One striker without some raised eyebrows).

I guess if we had signed our 'big name' striker, then Kodjia would have been eased into English football and not have faced the pressure of being our main goalscorer.

It's about value for money. Considering how much the established Championship strikers are going for, your Grays, McCormacks, Rhodes etc....I would say £2m for a striker with his potential, is money well spent.

We desperately need another striker and another midfielder though. What worrys me is what can we realistically get now we are in the bottom three and in a relegation scrap? I genuinely worry we missed out chance in the summer.

If we go into February with Pack and Wilbraham still regular starters....we will be relegated, I'm sure of it 

If he had taken his chances today he would be the leagues top scorer in the third worst team.

As it is he is 7th in the scoring charts and so much more than just a goalscorer.

No one else in the team is the 7th best in their position. Therefore he is our best player and most valuable asset.

What more is there to say?

He isn't the £10m man many thought we had on our hands.

Thought yesterday his general play was great to watch. Two time in particular in the first half, one when he serged into the box and laid it back to Wilbs who should have scored. The other when he out muscled their defender on the halfway line and ran at goal it took about 3 players to stop him. He was  constant threat and good to watch.

Unfortunately until his finishing improves everything else will get overlooked. The lad is 26 years old. I can't see how his finishing is going to improve that much more. Funny thing is the YouTube videos we all saw when we signed him made him look like a fantastic natural goal scorer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he scored another 10+ goals this season during a purple patch, likewise I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't score again this season. He seems to be that type of player.

Would say there is still a lot more to come from this guy. Remember watching the clips of him when he signed, and looked extremely composed in front of goal while running at pace with little dinks over the goal keeper etc. Still a case of settling in for me, getting used to English football, his teammates, and his teammates getting used to how he plays. 

One thing I would say, he doesn't look to have that natural ability for decision making, which all top strikers possess. When to lay the ball off and when to take on a player is definitely not his strong point. Takes on players to much and runs down a blind alley more often than not. A real top drawer striker would be thinking two, three passes ahead, in anticipation of receiving the ball back. 

he was being kicked and fouled mercilessly in the 1st half in particular without any protection from the officials, wouldn't be surprised if he's not able to play on Monday. He was better at the start of the season when he was fresher, if we had someone else up front so he could be rested occasionally then would be back to his best. Even so, yesterday most of our best moves involved him, I thought he was a constant threat.

14 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Is this another example of poor coaching at City ?

Or is it another example of not having good enough players around him?

Yes must be poor coaching .... I can imagine them spending hours practising missing the target and heading over !!!!!! .... CLUELESS

The more I see of him the more I'm convinced that he's not a central striker. He reminds me of Yannick Bolasie - a player who has skill and who can beat defenders but hasn't a great scoring record. He would ideally be suited to a wide position in a different formation - e g 4 3 3

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The more I see of him the more I'm convinced that he's not a central striker. He reminds me of Yannick Bolasie - a player who has skill and who can beat defenders but hasn't a great scoring record. He would ideally be suited to a wide position in a different formation - e g 4 3 3

Well he's played all his career so far as a central striker

He is a good striker playing in a team in a relegation battle. As our season has progressed & it's clear that we are as bad as the table implies, it would seem that he has felt the pressure to score.

So where he may have been very composed up front for a winning Angers team last season, he is now snatching at shots as he is so desperate to score for a not winning City team.

His general play is fantastic & the amount of fouling & general abuse he has received from opposition players is testament to that. He still laid one on a plate for Wilbs 5 yards out from goal that he blazed over & got the penalty even on a day when he wasn't at his best.

At least he was trying to shoot unlike most of our midfielders yesterday who kept passing it on for someone else to have a go!

I still don't think we play to his strengths & he was getting caught offside way too many times yesterday but he needs another goal scorer next to him to relieve some of the pressure & I don't think that is Wilbs tbh. 

And finally compared to the money spent on other strikers on this league, £2 million still looks great value.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

For the record, I wasn't at the game yesterday as was away with the family.  As such I have not seen any match highlights.

I tipped him to score 3 (on paper I expected this to be the type of open game where we would create numerous chances for him, and I believed he was good enough to finish a fair percentage of them).

I was wrong, and now I've read on here that he missed numerous chances and often found himself in an offside position.

And why did he not take the penalty?  (I firmly believe that the main striker should always take penalties - should be a requisite of the job)

So what went wrong with our French diamond against Charlton?  I'm interested in knowing why he didn't score, and whether he's going to have a productive end to the season.

Was his finishing poor yesterday, or did we not provide him the service he needed?

Cheers, folks.

He started well enough with a couple of mazy runs out wide,thought he tired badly going into second half.his finishing was dire and badly timed runs beyond the defence when to have watched the line he would have been in and one on one.even looked disinterested I'd say,second half,that and frustration I'd say his chin dropped......

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

We are probably witnessing the reason no other cluts have plucked him from Angers. 

We need an old fashioned 'goall all we've poacher'  (oops, thats goal poacher btw) type to partner JK up front, with the right partnership  up front complementing each others strengths we'll be a force to reckon with, we're a bit like a boxer with one hand tied behind his back at the moment. 

Anyway FR it'd be more worrying if we were'nt creating the chances in the first place, just gotta find a way to pop a few of 'em in - thats the challenge for Cotts and the board in the coming weeks, no point looking back in Angers... just need another ingredient to make a decent meal of it -we've got the fish just need the chips to go with it then we'll have our Kod Lot! 

It not the time for people on here to be battering our Kod -we need to complement him before he reacts with a chip in his shoulder and a Gallic shrug. 

47 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If he had taken his chances today he would be the leagues top scorer in the third worst team.

As it is he is 7th in the scoring charts and so much more than just a goalscorer.

No one else in the team is the 7th best in their position. Therefore he is our best player and most valuable asset.

What more is there to say?

If he'd taken his chances we wouldn't be the third worst team, but I take your point. 

Strikers go through dry patches. It happens. Sadly it's happening here, to a player who creates more chances than the rest of the team put together. 

How good is kodja? Good enough for a poor championship team that's for sure. He needs to work on finishing and composure. His biggest problem is that he hasn't got any competition from the bench. He knows that however he performs or trains he will play. Cox or burns or aggard not fancied by SC to challenge kodja for a starting place. Sometimes a game on the bench is the kick up the bum a striker needs.

Said on here after watching him in a couple of early season matches, he's not a natural goalscorer. If you needed more evidence, yesterday was a belter.

Was chatting on the way back from the game. Where do you play him? All I can think of is like JET. Don't think he is anywhere near JETs quality in front of goal, but he runs more, works harder for the team and wins loads of 40:60's.

Bit of a conundrum.

As an out and out striker was our top priority in the summer, its an interesting use of £2.5 million. Demonstrates further how bad our summer transfer (in and out) strategy was.

40 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

agree with you 100% Pongo, good comparison with Bolasie, yesterday we were joking around us that  he needs 10 chances to get the one goal and we were counting them down !! not what you would get from a proven striker, a good partner in the jan window and I think he will prove his worth to us

Archived