IGNORED

How good is Jonathan Kodjia?

reddogkev

Didn't he create the chance that Wilbs inexplicably blazed over from about 5 yards? Created numerous dangerous opportunities that others wasted - he's not solely responsible for wasted chances. 

I'd wager that he was directly involved in at least 50% of the chances that other people spurned. In fact I'm sure I saw a stat that said he was directly involved in 50% of our goals this season. Tells its own story. When he's not in the team we create nothing, he makes chances out of absolutely nothing all by himself.

He won at least 3 or 4 corners yesterday by committing two men onto him when he had zero support. 

He also got himself into channels on numerous occasions and was rightly exasperated when Freeman continually decided not to release the ball early and instead went sideways or turned away from goal. 

Wasn't his best game - and not saying he's without his faults - but it's frightening to think how bad we'd be without him in the team. 

Never read such a clueless thread :facepalm:

Kodjia is by the far the best player in a very poor team. I will be the first to admit that yday his finishing was dire, he did however time and time again create or get into positions to get these half chances. As in a lot of games this season, he got isolated up front (even at home every week including teams like charlton which says how poor the rest of the team is) thus having to try and open defences single handedly, it's so easy to defend 2/3 even 4 against 1 yet kodj can usually at least get a shot away. 

Easy to blame him because he had the most 'half chances' but let's be honest, that pull back for wilbraham he did after skinning 3 players plus the penalty he won should have been more than enough to win it.. He played his part shame pack and silva have little to no technique.. 

If kodjia was playing for a half decent team he would be scoring even more because to get a shot away wouldn't always involve having to do half the other team. We need to accommodate him better rather than expecting him to create and score his chances every week.. And for people saying it's not good enough for him not to be scoring all these chances, If he was scoring he certainly wouldn't be playing for us... 

I can't believe the Kodjia bashing on here! For £2 million we have a bargain, regardless of the fact he's not the greatest finisher, he's still one of the top scorers in our division creating most of his and others chances in every game! Wev seen Rhodes and Gray, 2 of the best strikers in our league and probably worth 4/5 times more and yet I would still rather have Kodjia for his overall play.

He just needs another striker and generally the rest of team to score more goals to take the burden off him. 

7 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I can't believe the Kodjia bashing on here! For £2 million we have a bargain, regardless of the fact he's not the greatest finisher, he's still one of the top scorers in our division creating most of his and others chances in every game! Wev seen Rhodes and Gray, 2 of the best strikers in our league and probably worth 4/5 times more and yet I would still rather have Kodjia for his overall play.

He just needs another striker and generally the rest of team to score more goals to take the burden off him. 

I don't believe this is Kodjia bashing. It's just a discussion about him and his ability. If there was no discussion and no difference of option the forum would cease to exist. 

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Well he's played all his career so far as a central striker

Plenty of players start in one position and improve when they change to a different position. Robin van Persie and Luke Freeman both started as wingers. Paul Scholes started as a striker before moving to midfield. Kodjia is only 22 so there's plenty of time for him to change. 

Constantly trying to work the ball onto his right foot which often seems to be why he goes on those mazy runs.

I think his wild misses are mostly with his left foot. Coaches and players at this level will work on forcing him onto his weak side.

Undoubtedly a good buy at the price but we need to help him by playing balls through on his 'right' side. So many times he seems to end up with it on his left.

To those who've said he doesn't score many he's already got 9 in a team in the relegation zone, only 6 players in the league have scored more, he's got the same total as Jordan Rhodes. I think sometimes we take our own players for granted and forget what they've achieved for us, I'm sure many other Championship teams would have him in an instant.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Plenty of players start in one position and improve when they change to a different position. Robin van Persie and Luke Freeman both started as wingers. Paul Scholes started as a striker before moving to midfield. Kodjia is only 22 so there's plenty of time for him to change. 

He's actually 26! FWIW, I would like to see him tried out as a wing forward in a 4-3-3 but we don't have the personnel at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

This team has several problems. Kodjia isn't one of them, not even close. 

Can't believe that he is being used as an example of how we got it wrong in the summer, he's one of the very few things we got right. 

Exactly, unfortunately yesterday his finishing was off but his approach play was excellent. Great signing and he will improve.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

For the record, I wasn't at the game yesterday as was away with the family.  As such I have not seen any match highlights.

I tipped him to score 3 (on paper I expected this to be the type of open game where we would create numerous chances for him, and I believed he was good enough to finish a fair percentage of them).

I was wrong, and now I've read on here that he missed numerous chances and often found himself in an offside position.

And why did he not take the penalty?  (I firmly believe that the main striker should always take penalties - should be a requisite of the job)

So what went wrong with our French diamond against Charlton?  I'm interested in knowing why he didn't score, and whether he's going to have a productive end to the season.

Was his finishing poor yesterday, or did we not provide him the service he needed?

Cheers, folks.

He is another Baldock, exactly the same type of player. Can get a ball and do the hard work and then waste it. Can get in the positions but squanders it. Eventually will score with enough good balls to him. He's pacy, clever and reads the game well. If he was a natural finisher he would not be playing for Bristol City but he lacks composure and ability to chose the simple option, that is why he is playing at this level. 

I remember when someone talked about Linneker and said "the difference between a good striker and a world class striker is the amount of chances they needed to burst the net". Linneker only ever needed half a chance, he was a natural goal mouth predator. Kodjia whilst fast, skillful and clever, doesn't have the ruthless finishing edge to him. He will on some occasions hit the ground running and bag a brace or a hat trick, but he could easily got 10 games without scoring as well.

To be fair, we hadn't ever replaced Baldock and we've now replaced him with a younger identical version but not an improved version.

We haven't had a natural goalscorer since Maynard, a player that if you gave him 3 seconds on the ball you knew you would be punished, that is what we are missing, and Kodjia whilst a good player in his own right is not that player.

Despite his erratic finishing I think he is a joy to watch and the one player we have who can create a chance out of nothing.

We desperately need goals from other players in the team when our strikers are misfiring. Yesterday players like Bryan, Freeman and Pack had good chances to have a go at goal but couldn't get their shots away.

5 minutes ago, Offside said:

Despite his erratic finishing I think he is a joy to watch and the one player we have who can create a chance out of nothing.

We desperately need goals from other players in the team when our strikers are misfiring. Yesterday players like Bryan, Freeman and Pack had good chances to have a go at goal but couldn't get their shots away.

TBF to Joe, he did get two decent efforts in, one just skimmed the bar in the first half and one that just wouldn`t come down enough for him to hit it cleanly in the second.

Kodjia has a bit of Ade Akinbiyi about him. Terrifies defenceswith his  running , scores quite a few, but misses quite a few too. Whatever he is he is still our best bet. He did miss some yesterday,but none were exactly tap-ins, except the header and he did look like he  was pushed, as someone said earlier.

29 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

TBF to Joe, he did get two decent efforts in, one just skimmed the bar in the first half and one that just wouldn`t come down enough for him to hit it cleanly in the second.

Fair point. It was good to see him looking more like his old self yesterday.

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Kodjia would have scored many more goals this season if Freeman was capable of a through ball or even of creating anything in open play.

No finer example than when, just before charltons goal, kodjia would have had a virtual clear run on goal from inside his own half if only freeman had played a straightforward pass to him from just outside the right side of the box . Instead for some inexplicable reason he worked the ball inside and the move broke down.

No wonder kodjia slumped to his knees in despair staring at the dolman with his hands in the air.

Cannot believe that he is getting any stick on here, 9 goals (none of them penalties) our only threat going forward, created a gilt edge chance for Wilbs which he inexplicably ballooned over, won us the penalty, he would absolutely thrive in a better team with players who were more on his wavelength, I cannot fathom the way some City fans think sometimes

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Cannot believe that he is getting any stick on here, 9 goals (none of them penalties) our only threat going forward, created a gilt edge chance for Wilbs which he inexplicably ballooned over, won us the penalty, he would absolutely thrive in a better team with players who were more on his wavelength, I cannot fathom the way some City fans think sometimes

One of the defenders got a slight touch on Kodjia's pull back which was just enough to take it away from Wilbs swinging boot. 

Archived