IGNORED

How good is Jonathan Kodjia?

reddogkev

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Cannot believe that he is getting any stick on here, 9 goals (none of them penalties) our only threat going forward, created a gilt edge chance for Wilbs which he inexplicably ballooned over, won us the penalty, he would absolutely thrive in a better team with players who were more on his wavelength, I cannot fathom the way some City fans think sometimes

He's not getting stick, just saying that finishing isn't his finest attribute. He's a great player, but that's the one thing he can improve on

9 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

His finishing was absolutely dreadful. And to be honest, has been a lot of the season. He has missed bags of chances.

That said, bags of skill and still a great prospect, but.....extremely raw and no where near the finished article.

In all Carey fairness I believe he was purchased as foil for the like of Gray or Gayle.

9 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

We are probably witnessing the reason why no other clubs have plucked him from Angers.

Somewhat harsh on the lad and misguided, I genuinely believe, if you read my first remark.

In short, he has effectively been thrown in at the deep end and told to get on with it and the thanks for that is the moaning on here which is pretty unfair to put it mildly.

Put another way, Its not his fault he does not have the ideal strike partner. Hopefully that will change in January because if it does and we do get a Grey/Gayle type poacher if indeed that is what they are then I think we will see an exponential increase in his assists and his goals. I just hope we have not left it too late.

I think Kodjia would love playing with Burns. Kodjia has a decent level of link up play and with someone consistently making runs for him it'll either create him space or give him an easy target. Yesterday Kodjia proved he can actually track back to a certain extent. 

9 hours ago, Abingdon Red said:

He's reminding me a lot of Yanick Bolasie, captivating when running with the ball, generally passes/crosses very well but is very erratic in front of goal.

Are we sure he's not a winger being played out of position?

This. It is spot on. I firmly believe if he was at say Derby County or a team like Villa or Palace, he'd be playing a lot on the wing. So much like Bolasie in terms of chances and excitement but lacking that final ball. 

Maybe that is why he chose us. We told him he would play everyday and as a striker. Which is perfectly fine. You wouldn't see anyone else on the squad get into those positions and have the strength to hold off defenders and keep his balance. He is our best striker and that speaks more about the quality of our squad then anything else. He's still money well spent but clinical isn't something he will be. Pleasure watching him and he's still better than our club at the moment. He can single handedly win us a match with a bit of magic against anyone and I mean anyone. He's just also going to have many a day like yesterday where he doesn't hit the target. Done well to make the chances has to be better finishing them. 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I think Kodjia would love playing with Burns. Kodjia has a decent level of link up play and with someone consistently making runs for him it'll either create him space or give him an easy target. Yesterday Kodjia proved he can actually track back to a certain extent. 

From all the games I have seen this season he is one of the best strikers I have seen for busting a gut to win the ball back and help out the defence. I don't know if yesterday was the first time you noticed it, but I think it's a valuable part of his game.

10 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

Yesterday his approach play was superb,a nightmare for defenders. His finishing was poor and the Amount of times he was caught offside was ridiculous.

When I sat in the stand at Derby and heard he wasn't in the team I was gutted so that says it all for me. 

But he only gets caught offside because of our slow League 1 midfielders not being quick enough in the brain to play the pass quick enough. 

He'd be played in time and time again in a better team. 

I believe he is a good striker for the Championship. He is trying too hard at present. Probably feels the responsibility of being the only goalscorer in the team.

We are not feeding him correctly from midfield. Freeman cannot or will not play the ball into the channels and just tried to do everything himself. Pack is too slow of thought to see the openings.

We'll probably have to wait until he is sold to see the best of him.

A double edged sword. Kodja has done brill for us so far but is by no means a championship player yet. We love and adore him but we are left with no others who can compete. A lot has rested on his shoulders which has been mightily unfair and will have an effect on his game. If he continues on his own up front expect more of the same woeful finishing, I hope we buy a proven goalscorer to take the pressure off so he can become pure class at this level. 

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

But he only gets caught offside because of our slow League 1 midfielders not being quick enough in the brain to play the pass quick enough. 

He'd be played in time and time again in a better team. 

I'm guessing this is probably the highest level he's played at so far and if we Dont have the speed of thought to play passes quickly enough to him does that mean he's basically spent his career to date offside? 

Sorry I don't agree with your theory, Kodjai needs to watch the line more and delay his runs,simple as that for me 

All depends on how your defining it.. Goals generally is the measure on a striker and he is there abouts on that front But. .. If you were to watch him he would seem head and shoulders above that. He is playing in a poor team (by championship standards) has to create most  of his chances himself and he really runs his socks off every game . It may look like he he ain't putting away all these chances but he ain't getting no help so he is under immense pressure. Give the boy a break and until he gets a decent strike partner dont slate him 

Our biggest repeated mistake is we get these exciting players IN but we never add another one to compliment them, case in point Adomah, we flogged him to death because we had no other who was his equal.

You end up with an extremely frustrated talented player who will be gone soon enough.

2 minutes ago, screech said:

Our biggest repeated mistake is we get these exciting players IN but we never add another one to compliment them, case in point Adomah, we flogged him to death because we had no other who was his equal.

You end up with an extremely frustrated talented player who will be gone soon enough.

Well we did have Bolassie at the same time as Adomah but he was obviously deemed not good enough

Archived