IGNORED

Should City Appoint Lee Johnson.

Dynamite Red

Should City Appoint Lee Johnson.  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It was a crappy incomplete question then wasn't it.

Not really. He wanted a list of yes or no. If he wanted maybes or maybe not to be counted he would have added it to the poll himself.

Dolls has knackered he poll by changing it. 

1 minute ago, TRL said:

Not really. He wanted a list of yes or no. If he wanted maybes or maybe not to be counted he would have added it to the poll himself.

Dolls has knackered he poll by changing it. 

In any vote there are abstentions/spoilt ballot papers. It's part of the voting process.

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

In any vote there are abstentions/spoilt ballot papers. It's part of the voting process.

Not if you are not given a choice. Unfortunately there is that choice now.

Probably best if you ask first. Not just change it then retrospectively ask. 

1 minute ago, TRL said:

Not if you are not given a choice. Unfortunately there is that choice now.

Probably best if you ask first. Not just change it then retrospectively ask. 

Lets not argue. A true abstainer would not vote for any of the three so I'm not correct in my previous statement.

38 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

But there are some who haven't made their minds up yet and/or aren't able to give a yes/no answer because they just don't know.

I'm not feeling massively excited about it, but nor am I going all "please god no!" like I am if Colin were to be appointed.

Surely there's no need for you to vote then until you've decided?

I voted yes.

If I were to treat the title literally, then I'd vote no. There are plenty of managers out there with far more impressive CV's, and the reality is that we need someone with experience at this level that can bring us out of this funk and steer the club towards success.

The problem with that is that the club is running on a very limited budget, and historically we haven't backed a manager with cold hard cash at this level since Gary Johnson. If the fans can notice this, then surely other managers notice this too, and it's exactly why we're not going for the likes of Warnock, Moyes, Monk, etc. We won't give them the money and the backing they'll want for success, and it's why none of them will go for the job. I'm willing to bet that none of them have even put their names forward.

Lee Johnson is no one's first choice, but I'm willing to bet he's the best we can get.

With that being said, my main fear is whether we're hiring Lee Johnson because he's a Yes Man. We need a manager that will challenge the board, like Cotterill did at the start of his tenure. If LJ is going to sign on the dotted line knowing full well that relegation is an option, and that the club will be reducing his budget if we go down, then he's the wrong choice.

Lee Johnson is the sort of manager/head coach the club are looking for. He is young, ambitious and will bring a modern approach to the club.He will encourage our academy youngsters and help to build the club without having a huge ego getting in the way.He is also a rare breed among managers as he has not been sacked. Give him a chance please.

I put no. Think he did a good job at Oldham. 

Think he has struggled a bit at Barnsley thought he might get sacked a few months ago.

If we were in League 1. It would be a okay appointment. Young manager who knows our club. However we are looking to stay in the Championship and I think we need someone who has got teams out of trouble before and have then built promotion challenging teams.

We should appoint Lee Johnson if we wish to make a sensible attempt to make the playoffs in League 1 next season.

If your ambitions are slightly loftier, then NO, Of course we bloodywell shouldn't

Shame on you too Mark Wilson for suggesting this is anything like a good idea. Your judgement/ credibility is now under serious question. 

Why take the risk of appointing someone who might not be good enough, when you could appoint someone who is good enough? Clearly the answer is "they're cheaper" 

This such a waste of an opportunity to get someone in who's decent, someone who's proven to be decent, someone who gets you excited about our prospects. However this appointment has a "we'll be looking for a new manager in 8-12 months written all over it"

My first choice will always be Pearson, but in the assumption that he won't be coming I'd ha e no problem with LJ.

People will naturally point towards his recent bad run, but he did what many other managers can't do and that's turn the team around on to a winning run. The players must like him and watching a brief part of Barnsley's tie last night they looked pretty good.

We could do better but we could definitely do worse than bring in a guy that has genuine affection for the club and the area.

53 minutes ago, TRL said:

I agree with dolls as well. But it wasn't her thread to change was it :laugh:

Heaven forbid when it comes to the EU in out referendum. How people can not have an opinion on a major club appoitment baffles me. Just wanted a simple yes or no vote, if you're not sure then don't vote. Oh well

1 hour ago, Mikey1972 said:

Surely this is a joke.  If Lansdown appoints LJ we get just another average manager, it was only recently that he managed to get Barnsley winning after a awful run in League 1, yes League 1 and believe it was 12 games without a win and here we sit at the foot of the table awaiting relegation.  Looking at his stats he's managed 156 won only 56 games, drew 45 and lost 53, yes Mr Average.  What is the point of investing all that money into revamping Ashton Gate when you are out of the Championship, this bloke will not be the one to save us from playing rovers next season!  Gary Monk would get my vote but like normal, no good manager wants to come to City............

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the negativity about everything. :facepalm:

Not overly pleased if he is appointed. Don't get me wrong I'll support him 100%. However, I just feel in our current situation we could have done with appointing a manager with experience managing in this league. 

Hopefully he can get us going and keep us in the league, hopefully he turns out to be a fantastic appointment. But in our current situation it seems such a gamble. 

I do still feel Bolton, Charlton, Rotherham and MK Dons are worse than us so we could stay up due to other teams being worse.

Difficult time to for Johnson to come in with January just gone too. Lot of pressure for him to get it right quickly. 

All the talk of the likes of Moyes and Rodgers was always beyond us, but someone like Steve Clarke could have done a job. Tony Mowbray is doing well at Coventry and has done it in the championship before. Was never a fan of the idea of either Warnock or Pearson but I feel they would have probably got us going and kept us in the league.

Lets just hope if Johnson signs he can sort us out! 

I voted no. I think ihe approach is tinged with sentimentality about Lee as a former player. 

He's undoubtedly a switched on guy and I think this, combined with memories of an Oldham visit to the Gate where they looked great compared to SOD's tappa-tappa 100 passes then lose the ball in front of goal tactics, has cemented in this theory among some fans that he is an up-and-coming manager.

But the facts speak for themselves.  He has been a fairly uninspiring manager at L1 level.

He never struck me as a natural leader on the pitch, and I doubt he's suddenly metamorphised into one off it.

If he comes, I will of course give him the courtesy of extending him some time to see what he can do before condemning this move as a huge mistake.  But to say I'm uninspired probably understates things.

And of course he will come, he'd be mad not to.

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

How many of those voting 'no' would vote 'yes' if they knew the alternatives?

Moyes and Pearson are simply not going to come here.

How many of those shouting for Cotterill to be sacked would rein their mouths in if they knew the alternatives?

Actually behind the scenes it has probably been handled terribly.  To end up with Lee Johnson when Ashton came out himself and said "you would be surprised with who has applied" shows that they have messed up somewhere along the lines, either by selling their ideas for how the club intends to move forward or by trying to enforce a more experienced manager has to fit into the new structure in place under Ashton.

2 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Actually behind the scenes it has probably been handled terribly.  To end up with Lee Johnson when Ashton came out himself and said "you would be surprised with who has applied" shows that they have messed up somewhere along the lines, either by selling their ideas for how the club intends to move forward or by trying to enforce a more experienced manager has to fit into the new structure in place under Ashton.

This. I can't wait to hear what a load of PR scrotum talk Ashton comes out with. Appointing LJ (nice bloke) is not what this club needs or it's long standing fans deserves.

I really don't get the logic of LJs appointment. The theme of this season has been that our squad were fantastic in L1 but struggled with the step up to the Champ and so, although we stick with our policy of signing young hungry players, the board finally agree that they "need some help" from some championship-experienced players. This makes sense to me, a nice hungry youthful side with some experienced guys to steady the ship.

If we appoint LJ then we have sacked a guy who was one of the most successful L1 managers in recent years and replaced him with someone not quite as good as him in L1. SC's ability to step up to the champ was questioned and probably played a part in him getting the sack. Now we appoint LJ who hasn't managed at all in the Champ.

Now the only thing you can argue to this is "ah but LJ has so much potential". Yes he may do, but why would we bolster our playing ranks with experienced champ campaigners only to appoint someone to manage them who does not share their experience. Its like we are making the same mistake with the manager that we did with the players at the start of the season - expecting them to step up, and step up REAL QUICK!

If we are an ambitious club (and everything that SL, MA say suggests we are), then can we really afford to wait for LJ to develop and learn from within?

For me, its a HUGE GAMBLE at a point in our history when maybe we should not be gambling. Grow and develop with a guy like that in L1 when the size of our club and budget will enable him time to grow. Not in the Champ where it is SO competitive.

It is worth considering that one of the real weaknesses of young promising managers is that they tend to have not had much experience of dealing with adversity or expectation. They will have to manage both at some point in their careers. LJ has had adversity at both clubs, but was there really the expectation levels he will experience at AG? If he goes 3/4 games on the bounce without a win, does he have the know-how to turn it round? Can he take the pressure the fans will heap on him? Will the experienced heads in the changing room respect him enough?

I am worried, hope he isn't appointed, but he will get my support if he is.

6 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

I guess "you'd be surprised at who has applied" might mean 'you'd be surprised at how shit the applicants are'.

Perhaps it really was Trevor from the Dog and Duck Sunday XI and 29 of the more vocal Otib "experts".

23 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

How many of those voting 'no' would vote 'yes' if they knew the alternatives?

Moyes and Pearson are simply not going to come here.

How many of those shouting for Cotterill to be sacked would rein their mouths in if they knew the alternatives?

Nobody on here will know who the alternatives are.

I didn't want Cotterill sacked....I would be interested to know though if any of those who did want him sacked would have still wanted that if LJ was the only option to come in for him?

I voted no. The main reason being the shame I will feel if we lose at home to Ipswich and see/hear the reaction of some of our so called supporters.

Personally I think he`d be an idiot to take the job. I`m hoping it`s one of those cases you often find in work where people apply with no intention of taking a job just to show `ambition` to their peers.

Archived