IGNORED

Should City Appoint Lee Johnson.

Dynamite Red

Should City Appoint Lee Johnson.  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Devereux said:

Nobody on here will know who the alternatives are.

I didn't want Cotterill sacked....I would be interested to know though if any of those who did want him sacked would have still wanted that if LJ was the only option to come in for him?

If LJ is the only option then I'd say wait until close season and give Pembo a chance to keep us up.

However it is not the case that LJ is the only option.  He might be the only one the club has cared to entertain,  but he's not the only option. 

In fact, if we want to employ a lower league manager on the basis that they once played for us, I'd rather that they approach Tisdale. 

I left before the postman arrived this morning so I don't know if there is a letter there from the board inviting me for an interview in response to my application. Although my boss hasn't made a statement this morning stating they've allowed City to talk to me so I'm a tad worried I'm not on the short list.

If only we had appointed Moyes years ago, when he was relatively unknown. So yes I take LJ all day long, over some recently sacked failure of another club. And I think the transfer problems this year, should be enough of a warning to those delusional fans on here who expected the likes of Pearson to want to come here. We are not an attractive offer, to top players etc. I would rather have someone who wants to come here!

Another thing....we are going to have to pay alot of money to get LJ released from his contract.... better used on bigger wages on a more experienced manager?

Its a strange feeling that we will have to pay alot of money in order to take a gamble on him!

I would prefer to take a manager who has the potential to become great than a manager with experience who could ultimately be a let down.

Sir Alex wasn't a proven manager when he got appointed at United. Van Gaal came with vast experience and look how that turned out...

I'm not saying that I believe LJ will be the next Sir Alex.

But as fans why would we not support him and be willing to dream?

8 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

I would prefer to take a manager who has the potential to become great than a manager with experience who could ultimately be a let down.

Sir Alex wasn't a proven manager when he got appointed at United. Van Gaal came with vast experience and look how that turned out...

I'm not saying that I believe LJ will be the next Sir Alex.

But as fans why would we not support him and be willing to dream?

The same Sir Alex who finally broke the Celtic/Rangers stranglehold and won the league with unfancied Aberdeen?

The same Sir Alex who won the Euro Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen?

He also got brought in as Scotland manager during a world cup after Jock Stein's death.

I'd say he was more than proven when Man U took him on. Maybe not in the Prem but proven. 

31 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Nobody on here will know who the alternatives are.

I didn't want Cotterill sacked....I would be interested to know though if any of those who did want him sacked would have still wanted that if LJ was the only option to come in for him?

The thing is Cotterill didn't appear to be making any progress, he was saying the same thing week in, week out all whilst we got the same run of form. It became a script, lose game, "oh we were unlucky", "we deserved more" etc

I'm not happy with LJ but at least with him I don't know what to expect, it could be worse, but at least it's not a broken record with no progress.

I think the board should appoint whichever candidate they believe will do the best job possible.  Although they have to take responsibility for any decisions that don't work out, I think they should appointment whoever they think will do the job best, not who the fans want.

I don't believe experience is prerequisite for success, I don't believe a big name is a prerequisite for success and I don't believe that there is anyone on the list of potential manager who doesn't represent a risk.  I can see arguments for Lee Johnson and arguments against.  He isn't my first choice and he isn't my last choice.  I don't think it's by any stretch a ludicrous appoint and I think it's possible it will work out.  So he gets my backing if he gets it and I hope he does well. 

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

The thing is Cotterill didn't appear to be making any progress, he was saying the same thing week in, week out all whilst we got the same run of form. It became a script, lose game, "oh we were unlucky", "we deserved more" etc

I'm not happy with LJ but at least with him I don't know what to expect, it could be worse, but at least it's not a broken record with no progress.

Yea I see what you're saying.

The one nagging feeling I have is what would Cotterill have done with the players we have now brought in (plus hopefully a striker). If he had had Tomlin, Gladwin, etc... I think we would have picked up and who knows, some of the old confidence from last season may have sparked. By contrast, LJ is a MASSIVE gamble..

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Heaven forbid when it comes to the EU in out referendum. How people can not have an opinion on a major club appoitment baffles me. Just wanted a simple yes or no vote, if you're not sure then don't vote. Oh well

Not being able to say yes or no to a question doesn't mean you do not have an opinion, just that you are unsure to an acceptable degree of certainty.

To not be sure in a poll on opinions, rather than one such as the EU where your vote has a baring on a specific outcome, is a valid indicator as to have just a Yes or No skews the vote as people do not have enough leeway to move in i.e. there will be a higher proportion or Yes and No''s driven by something other than their acceptable level of certainty.

The question around whether the poll should have been changed to include this option, as it changed the dynamics of what you wished to understand through the output is a different question altogether.

COYR

2 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Yea I see what you're saying.

The one nagging feeling I have is what would Cotterill have done with the players we have now brought in (plus hopefully a striker). If he had had Tomlin, Gladwin, etc... I think we would have picked up and who knows, some of the old confidence from last season may have sparked. By contrast, LJ is a MASSIVE gamble..

My best guess is either said no to them and chased some Premier League talent who didn't want to come or left them on the bench until the 87th minute...

How can the club say they want a manager with Championship experience to push on to the Prem, then even think about a manager with only average success in the THIRD tier of English football. If he comes,will he be bringing his uncle with him as chief scout ? we know what a mess he made last time he was here.

Not sure.

Part of me thinks this could be a good appointment. I was impressed by how his Oldham side played against us and he seems the "up and coming" type of manager/coach who fits into the overall strategy the club is striving for (although we've been there before with Del). He has also always conducted himself in a dignified way and seemed to have an affinity for the club when he played for us.

The other part of me sees this as a big risk because of his lack of experience in this role at this level. Having said that, SOD had experience and what a fat lot of good that did us.

Time will tell.

One thing he will need to do is get us some points on the board to stave off relegation. Fingers crossed.

I fear this could turn out to be a "right man at the wrong time" situation.

If we were in league 1 and comfortable, but not going anywhere, I'd say good appointment, let's see what he can do. If he got us up, lets see how he gets on in the championship etc. But it's not like that, we're clinging on to our championship place with our fingernails. Relegation and a poor start next season and we'll be looking for a new boss again. Right man, possibly wrong time.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Well don`t then. I`m sure we`ll all survive the trauma.

:facepalm:  same sh1te different day, you`ll see one day; now are you sure you will be alright :flowers:

4 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

Good luck finding that manager

All I would say to that is, If the owner is willing to spend a few million signing players, why not the same for a good manager?  Everyone has a price.... why does everyone assume that good managers are outside the remit of this club...?

Dolly why do you feel the need to edit peoples post. if it's right or wrong it's not yours to change. if you want a different perspective then post your own topic. that is the purpose of the forum. stop interfering and leave peoples post you have no right to interfere.

Archived