IGNORED

Livid, angry, grrrrr

sglosbcfc

I'm am just so ****ing angry I had to post even at this time of night. Who the hell do Man Utd, Liverpool etc think they are? Not happy with a European 'Champions' Cup where you can finish 4th in the PL and still enter, they now want a European Competition where they get to enter wherever they finish because um er they are Liverpool and Man Utd. If Leicester win the league maybe they should give up their spot because they are not 'massive'. The greed in football turns my stomach sometimes, I understand clubs have to look after their own interests but surely they can see this will destroy football. A football cliché of 20 elite clubs who play for the European cup every year no matter what! If anything like this ever happened I hope the fans would unite and hit them where it hurts in the pocket, awful, awful, indefensible idea.

Sorry rant over i'm going to bed.

This is inevitable, you get the impression that the so called big four do not like the idea they have to share TV revenue with the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth etc.

The downside of this happening is I can see a number of clubs going Bolton's way with significant debts. Surely the TV revenue will reduce from Sky etc as the attraction will be for a super European league and just how competitive would the top flight be? 

Money is ruining this game, and the clubs are just getting greedier and greedier. Liverpool right now are a prime example, but who cares, as they'll clearly still full the ground and 77 quid tickets with day trippers

1 hour ago, Doozerchris said:

The sooner they all piss off in a European super league, that's played every week the better as far as I'm concerned. 

This would be ideal - then they can take all the greedy 'world class' players and their leeches with them, pay them £300 grand a week if required, and the rest of the clubs could then contend with the competitive English football leagues, free of the unnecessary money currently attached to the game.  In our adapted domestic game we could then cap salaries at something like £25 grand a week, and ticket prices would be far more affordable for all of us.  Introduce safe standing to the game again, and we'd have our game back.

Yep I heard this discussed on Talksport a couple of weeks ago. It's outrageous if true and I just don't think it would work long term.

How long would it take Arsenal fans, for example, to get fed up of travelling to say, Inter Milan on a Tuesday night, again.

And to show such arrogance that they think they deserve to qualify wherever they finish devalues the whole of football and stifles ambition once and for all.

Can't help thinking though, that some leagues in Europe would be incredibly exciting without the so called big boys in them. Very open with many more teams able to win them.

I'd love to see Palace and Stoke battling to win the Premier League, I think!

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep I heard this dismiscussed on Talksport a couple of weeks ago. It's outrageous if true and I just don't think it would work long term.

How long would it take Arsenal fans, for example, to get fed up of travelling to say, Inter Milan on a Tuesday night, again.

And to show such arrogance that they think they deserve to qualify wherever they finish devalues the whole of football and stifles ambition once and for all.

Can't help thinking though, that some leagues in Europe would be incredibly exciting without the so called big boys in them. Very open with many more teams able to win them.

If the bigger clubs went, so would the money. I Imagine the Premier League would become Division 1 again.

2 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

The sooner they all piss off in a European super league, that's played every week the better as far as I'm concerned. 

It would be interesting to know how much passion there really is for this. I believe it is much easier to get a European ticket for the likes of Arsenal, Man City and Man United than it is to get a Premier league ticket. Any 'closed' competition will have a limited shelf life in my opinion.

Some countries like Spain have ruined their national league by the greed of the top clubs. Real and Barca regularly put 4,5 even 6 goals past the opposition. The tv deal does not allow the smaller clubs to get any real slice of the cake. Things are different in England and I think most fans prefer the Premier League to the Champions league.

1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

It would be interesting to know how much passion there really is for this. I believe it is much easier to get a European ticket for the likes of Arsenal, Man City and Man United than it is to get a Premier league ticket. Any 'closed' competition will have a limited shelf life in my opinion.

Some countries like Spain have ruined their national league by the greed of the top clubs. Real and Barca regularly put 4,5 even 6 goals past the opposition. The tv deal does not allow the smaller clubs to get any real slice of the cake. Things are different in England and I think most fans prefer the Premier League to the Champions league.

Doubt there'd be any passion from the home fans.  No English club really has a proper rivalry with a European club - nothing anywhere near the level of Spurs/Arsenal, Newcastle/Sunderland, or Man U/Liverpool.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'm am just so ****ing angry I had to post even at this time of night. Who the hell do Man Utd, Liverpool etc think they are? Not happy with a European 'Champions' Cup where you can finish 4th in the PL and still enter, they now want a European Competition where they get to enter wherever they finish because um er they are Liverpool and Man Utd. If Leicester win the league maybe they should give up their spot because they are not 'massive'. The greed in football turns my stomach sometimes, I understand clubs have to look after their own interests but surely they can see this will destroy football. A football cliché of 20 elite clubs who play for the European cup every year no matter what! If anything like this ever happened I hope the fans would unite and hit them where it hurts in the pocket, awful, awful, indefensible idea.

I think the big clubs are worried. With the new TV deal so-called smaller clubs can bid for players only the top four would have had access to a couple of seasons ago. The fact that you've got a bigger ground and more fans doesn't make much difference as the revenue from TV is the main income. Leicester could be the first of many to challenge the big clubs for European places, bring it on I say!

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Doubt there'dt be any passion from the home fans.  No English club really has a proper rivalry with a European club - nothing anywhere near the level of Spurs/Arsenal, Newcastle/Sunderland, or Man U/Liverpool.

Who needs home fans when you can watch It on the telly.

Liverpool Juventus can get tasty. Though thats the only one I can think of

Haven't heard of this one, but I have  read there are moves afoot to have a Super League comprising four top teams in their league positions from Italy France Germany Spain and England, what a great idea they could call it the European Cup!!

At the moment the 'Champions' Ha! League is just too big so I can see the merits in trimming it down, except that UEFA are not going to give up their money making come one and all competition without a fight.

I'm in the 'let them **** off' club

They all bore me. I long for the old Div 1 days, where a Watford can come up, spend very little, and come close to winning the league. Take if from me kids, it was much more entertaining, although to be fair Liverpool still won the league a lot! Forest, Ipswich, Villa all winning European trophies, ******* brilliant - and mostly with English / British players. Muddy pitches, proper tackles, socks around the ankles, jumpers for goalposts, isn't it

Can't come soon enough

Given the huge amount of foreign investment this is hardly a surprise. What better way to protect an investment than by eliminating the risk, or at least one of them.

It will be interesting to see if the current Raid by Chinese clubs continues. It may well be that the horse has already bolted, and the valuable "Asian" market is about to turn its attention closer to home.

Let them go - the current armchair supporters will all follow but the regular attenders will lose interest or wont be able to afford it cutting the heart and passion out of the game.

I don't agree that teams should be relegated - if they have left and they want to come back to the English game then they should have to start from the bottom, basically make it a one way trip and see how many want to leave then without the safety net.

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

They all bore me. I long for the old Div 1 days, where a Watford can come up, spend very little, and come close to winning the league. Take if from me kids, it was much more entertaining, although to be fair Liverpool still won the league a lot! Forest, Ipswich, Villa all winning European trophies, ******* brilliant - and mostly with English / British players. Muddy pitches, proper tackles, socks around the ankles, jumpers for goalposts, isn't it

Can't come soon enough

You mean like Leicester??? 

Chelsea are in the bottoms half of the table and Man Utd are looking like finishing outside the top 4 again 2 time in 3 seasons.

Football has always been the same for years teams go through periods of domination is just Man Utds lasted a bit longer than anyone elses! 

14 hours ago, I am the mole said:

You mean like Leicester??? 

Chelsea are in the bottoms half of the table and Man Utd are looking like finishing outside the top 4 again 2 time in 3 seasons.

Football has always been the same for years teams go through periods of domination is just Man Utds lasted a bit longer than anyone elses! 

Tell you what, when a team like Leicester surprise us all for the next 10 years running your point will have some kind of validation. They are having a dream season, and good luck to them. I'll wager they won't be up there next year, and I doubt if a Watford or a Palace will be either. I would love to see them win the league

United had a period of domination from actually winning trophies and spending their money wisely, as did Liverpool back in the late 70s and 80s, I don't have a problem with that. It's the oil / gas money that has bought up Chelsea and Man City and turned middle of the road clubs in giants of the game (in their own heads) that I take issue with. Leicester certainly have some serious money behind them, but they haven't spanked £300m up the wall chasing the dream. Will be interesting to see what their owners do next season should they win the league and / or qualify for CL

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 00:59, sglosbcfc said:

This is how the Champions league came about. Certain Italian clubs demanded that UEFA allow them in the European Cup every year because of their history etc. For you younger forum members; the EC was for the Champions of the then 32 European nations. UEFA weren't too happy with the Italian's proposal, but they gained support from other "big boys" and Europe's then top 14 clubs threatened to break away if the proposal was not accepted.

UEFA could have said OK form your own Association; but anyone who plays for you will not be permitted to play for any other club still in their own League & national Association. But of course, they didn't and caved in to the demand.

1 hour ago, Nube Rojo said:

you can't blame the clubs for being greedy, the problem is the system that allows them to be!

Of course you can, if they aren't good enough they shouldn't be in the cup, there is no argument to be had. If this gets done it will come close to being as bad as the Argentinian league rules changing to stop "big clubs" being relegated

On 2/10/2016 at 08:40, Woodsy said:

Can't come soon enough

Yep! Those were the days Woodsy...Think you've dated yourself mate! 

However This has been the best Premier League season since the competition began. Leicester have reminded us over paid soft under bellied foreigners and greedy one footed one trick pony's can be undone by using the ball quickly.

Leicester let teams have possession and then just hit them fast...Mahrez is easily player of the season (by a country mile) and the boy Vardy frightens the living sh1t out of Centre Backs...I will be cheering for them every time I'm not immersed in the mighty reds!! 

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 13:59, REDOXO said:

Yep! Those were the days Woodsy...Think you've dated yourself mate! 

However This has been the best Premier League season since the competition began. Leicester have reminded us over paid soft under bellied foreigners and greedy one footed one trick pony's can be undone by using the ball quickly.

Leicester let teams have possession and then just hit them fast...Mahrez is easily player of the season (by a country mile) and the boy Vardy frightens the living sh1t out of Centre Backs...I will be cheering for them every time I'm not immersed in the mighty reds!! 

Ha, I'm just on the point of not getting away with saying I'm in my early 40s!

Saw a list, think it was Moose from talksport, on twitter last night of his 6 players of the year, not one would have been considered a household name in August, brilliant. Mahrez and Vardy were certainly on there, Payet from West Ham, can't remember the others. Was fantastic to see that, and the other one was he only had one Young Player of the Year - Dele Alli, a young Englishman. Good times

On 10/02/2016 at 08:59, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep I heard this discussed on Talksport a couple of weeks ago. It's outrageous if true and I just don't think it would work long term.

It was all good until that last sentence.:shifty:

Archived