IGNORED

Sorry LJ you got that horribly wrong

Londoner

My disappointment is more with Pearce tonight. It was obvious from 2nd half at MK than Vyner doesn't cut it at this level but Pearce should do. He was miles away from the bloke for the 4th goal. Hopefully Baker and Ayling fit again asap.

LJ has to take some criticism for the display too. As good as MK was, this was a shocker. Brighton were an organised and clinical side but we made it far too easy. 

Still, as has been mentioned, we are one game closer to safety and still in touch with the likes of Leeds and Huddersfield.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Given the rather thin nature of the squad it seemed LJ had no real option because of Little's fitness. 

Don't think LJ did a huge amount wrong tonight. Individual lapses and a huge difference in fitness between the two teams was how I saw it. 

Oddly enough that was the first time all season that I thought we looked noticeably less fit than an opposition team, and it comes after LJ made a comment about 'once we get up to fitness', or words to that affect after the game on Saturday. 

The noticeable difference for me if they gave us little or no time on the ball. Constantly high tempo and pressure. Something we need to aspire to if we ever want to do anything in this division. 

This is nonsense! Little was not fit, so LJ had very few options. He played a young local lad who had just won his first game. So easy to berate the Manager afterwards; but I applaud the decision.  We can't all moan about managers not playing youngsters and then complain when they make mistakes.  

I agree with the comments about how much we missed Baker though. 

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The noticeable difference for me if they gave us little or no time on the ball. Constantly high tempo and pressure. Something we need to aspire to if we ever want to do anything in this division. 

Indeed, and that's not an easy thing to do when the other side are dominating possession as we did. Demands an extremely high level of fitness, and they were several levels ahead of us on that front. 

All season we've struggled against sides who press us aggressively. 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Not yet anyway...think tonight proves I may have been right...

Oh dear. The lad is 18 and has never played a competitive football league game until 72 hours ago. 

If we wrote off every player who ever had a poor game we'd have even fewer selection options than we do now, if that's possible. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Oh dear. The lad is 18 and has never played a competitive football league game until 72 hours ago. 

If we wrote off every player who ever had a poor game we'd have even fewer selection options than we do now, if that's possible. 

I haven't written him off long term. He may turn out to be fine and I hope he does. Just too young to be thrown in at this level for 2 games in 4 days.

33 minutes ago, hodge said:

Think we may hear a few more hard truths from him being a recently retired player. 

I thought exactly that too. He knows every trick in the book that the players use as he was still using them himself relatively recently.

Bad day at the office but he will certainly learn more about his players when they aren't patting themselves on the back after celebrating a win. 

Not many players come out with much credit tonight, but look at our defence. Only Flint was  the constant factor, Pearce might as well have not been there, the Vyner was as you would expect someone as inexperienced as he is to be, and exploited by Brighton. Golbourne ( who was my Motm) is still relatively new to the line up, as is the keeper in the scheme of things.

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I haven't written him off long term. He may turn out to be fine and I hope he does. Just too young to be thrown in at this level for 2 games in 4 days.

So who would you have put there then if you were LJ?

Knowing that LA is injured, ML isn't fit or ZV is fully fit & played in a winning side just 4 days earlier!!

Let's not forget that ZV is 17/18 & would of been on a massive high after Saturday & chomping at the bit........

It's not like he's 38 & struggling for  general fitness, he should naturally be able to cope with 2 games & after all, that's all it was, not 20 games without a break!!

But no, let's drop him & then leave him (and maybe all the other youth players) asking what he / they have to do to get a run in the side?

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

So who would you have put there then if you were LJ?

Knowing that LA is injured, ML isn't fit or ZV is fully fit & played in a winning side just 4 days earlier!!

Let's not forget that ZV is 17/18 & would of been on a massive high after Saturday & chomping at the bit........

It's not like he's 38 & struggling for  general fitness, he should naturally be able to cope with 2 games & after all, that's all it was, not 20 games without a break!!

But no, let's drop him & then leave him (and maybe all the other youth players) asking what he / they have to do to get a run in the side?

Sorry but Little should of started. Experience was needed against Murphy....and like others have said, Vyner was dodgy at MK and went unpunished, today was different level.

He made 3 mistakes that lead to 3 goals, if that isn't enough evidence that he shouldn't of played nothing is.

To be fair, everyone was getting far too carried away about Vyner at MK saturday. 

I thought he offered zero going forward and was caught out 3 times in the 2nd half that luckily came to nothing due to MK not taking advantage. 

The win and ecstasy of it seemed to encourage the 'looked like a championship player' comments far too easily. 

At the end of the day Joe Bryan could play RB if required with adequate cover on the left available with a mix of Freeman switching over and Gladwin or Wagstaff coming in. 

Poor choice by LJ tonight but also easy to say in hindsight i suppose. 

Bonus of the night was bottom 3 all losing. 

Vyner for a loan elsewhere should be best option. 

Even a 50% fit Ayling should start at Forest. 

Vyner had a mare, it happens, it's not the end of the world and I've seen worse from players five years or more his senior this season.

LJ was right to play him if Little was less than 100% and you can't take him off at half time without damaging his confidence more.  It didn't turn out well, that's life.   No point harping on about it, Zak will have to sort his head out and get on with it.

As for the rest, Brighton took advantage of errors and scored a half chance.  They did that so early they never really needed to come out and play and the game was effectively dead on the second goal.  We unravelled in the second half and started making ridiculous errors.  

Oh well.  They're one of the best sides in the league and they had just had a hammering so had something to prove.  Our reaction to it is now what counts.

We will need to be more effective in possession, stop being too elaborate in the final third and get some support into the box when we're playing the final ball so we actually turn possession into chances.  The effort was there tonight but the quality certainly wasn't.  We'll probably be safe because there will be three or four worse sides and there is something to build on but let's not get carried away with the previous three wins - we still have a paper thin squad and much to do.

4 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Sorry but Little should of started. Experience was needed against Murphy....and like others have said, Vyner was dodgy at MK and went unpunished, today was different level.

He made 3 mistakes that lead to 3 goals, if that isn't enough evidence that he shouldn't of played nothing is.

But ML wasn't classed as fit enough to start & if by starting him you run the risk of making those injuries worse & maybe meaning a spell on the sidelines.

With games still to come against other clubs down around us, would you prefer ZV to play in those 6 pointers (because we have no choice) or would you prefer ML to play in those games knowing that he is fully fit?

According to Sky Sports stats, we had a higher share of the possession, more shots and more shots on target, so we must have done some things right.

It did look a bit like some of the games earlier in the season, where the opponents were just more clinical.

I wouldn't say LJ got it "horribly" wrong but it was certainly a call that impacted the game. 

Although it might've kicked the kids confidence a bit, he should never have come back out for the second half. It was clear he was struggling and there should be no room for sentiment. 

Options was the main conundrum tonight though. There was no 'fit' right back in the club. Ayling out. Little doubtful pre-match. Vyner played Saturday so most managers under those circumstances would stick. 

Williams in and moving Pearce to rb may have been the only other viable option. 

Of more concern though was the performance of Pearce. Mentally off the pace. Slow to recognise danger. Whilst vyner made the major errors for goals 1 & 3, Pearce covered himself in little glory with his contributions to 1 & 4. 

Poor night all-round against a very well organised team with superior fitness and more intelligent movement. 

Its done. Move on. 

Not forgetting of course Brighton were able to make 5 unforced changes tonight - and it showed with the level of pressing. They didn't give us a second and we weren't good enough to play around it.

Shame about Vyner but he'll learn, we've lost 3 right sided players in just over a month and desperately miss Ayling.

What would be most worrying was if we were to lose Smith or even Pack. A serious lack of options if we're going with a 2 man central midfield.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

The only difference is Vyner played a big part in their first 3 goals.

As good a reason as any for not picking him before the game started than any. Cheers captain hindsight.

Worth saying Josh Murphy is a fairly highly rated young lad at Norwich and presented precious little trouble to Zak on Saturday.

Tipps is spot on, he had a really tough call to make. In hindsight it was the wrong one, but Vyner looked calm and assured on Saturday. I'm sure being dropped having played so well at MK would have hit his confidence more than a couple of mistakes today.

You could see our lads rallying round him after the third in particular, they're a good dressing room and he'll learn. Playing is the best way to learn.

One last thing - ROD is just as culpable for the first as Vyner, he fed him a horror pass to control when he was being closed down and Little would have done no better. For the second, he let Baldock inside but the rest of the defence did nothing to stop the shot or close him down when he moved central...

9 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Not forgetting of course Brighton were able to make 5 unforced changes tonight - and it showed with the level of pressing. They didn't give us a second and we weren't good enough to play around it.

Shame about Vyner but he'll learn, we've lost 3 right sided players in just over a month and desperately miss Ayling.

What would be most worrying was if we were to lose Smith or even Pack. A serious lack of options if we're going with a 2 man central midfield.

I believe Smith was carrying an injury tonight. Well off the pace and running with a limp. 

Wouldnt be shocked to not see him play saturday if im honest. 

Archived