IGNORED

QPR Stewards taken away by the police

phantom

It happened about 4 rows in front of me and I saw exactly what happened. A city fan had managed to get back to his seat with the dregs of a plastic cider bottle. A steward came looking and asked for the plastic cider bottle back which the fan gave him with no problems. If common sense had prevailed the stewards would have left it there and nothing further would have happened, but the steward re-appeared with at least half a dozen others and wanted to eject the bloke. Totally over the top reaction from the stewards who were very aggressive. The city fans were not provoking the stewards just defending the guy from the over reaction of the stewards.

Just to back up the above stories about over reaction from police and stewards at this ground. I was just walking to the ground with a few kids and a few older chaps (I'm over 50 myself) and had a a can of cider. All of a sudden a police van with about 8 policeman swooped across the road and blocked our way , it was like something out of the Sweeney. Some copper cam out with a very condascending attitude to confront us about our offence, drinking the alcohol in the street. No signs though.   

I'd be all for making it unreserved, then those wanting to stand can go to the back and the sitters can go to the front. The only issue is that if you have unreserved seating then you have to reduce the number of available tickets by (I think)10%. Not a big deal a lot of the time, but would be a problem for some games.

Still can't understand why people can't sit in the seat number of the ticket they've bought.  It's really quite simple. We debate this on here all the time. Do what your supposed to do. Simple. Seat u sit down. Terrace you stand up. 

6 hours ago, shelts said:

Still can't understand why people can't sit in the seat number of the ticket they've bought.  It's really quite simple. We debate this on here all the time. Do what your supposed to do. Simple. Seat u sit down. Terrace you stand up. 

This is it in a nutshell.

we have a percentage of support just like other clubs who simply don't give a fxxx about anyone else.

They are there to have a 'good' time, they way they want, and sod the rest of us.

In a post above it says that a fan took a cider bottle into the stand, exactly how many years has alcohol been banned in view of the pitch? Why did he do it? 

I saw a number of fans who were being very aggressive towards stewards who were simply trying to help people find the seat that had been allocated to them on their ticket, this of course was interfering with these people having a 'good' time.

When they sober up some of our fans need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I don't know anything about any of the incidents mentioned here other than what has been written and what I saw for my self, a number of City fans were far from innocent bystanders, and I am not trying to defend over the top stewarding.

45 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

This is it in a nutshell.

we have a percentage of support just like other clubs who simply don't give a fxxx about anyone else.

They are there to have a 'good' time, they way they want, and sod the rest of us.

In a post above it says that a fan took a cider bottle into the stand, exactly how many years has alcohol been banned in view of the pitch? Why did he do it? 

I saw a number of fans who were being very aggressive towards stewards who were simply trying to help people find the seat that had been allocated to them on their ticket, this of course was interfering with these people having a 'good' time.

When they sober up some of our fans need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I don't know anything about any of the incidents mentioned here other than what has been written and what I saw for my self, a number of City fans were far from innocent bystanders, and I am not trying to defend over the top stewarding.

Exactly, i posted up after the JPT final last year there was a young bloke in the row behind us who managed to get a pint into the seating area he though he was big and clever, after about 15mins the steward came and took him out, it was quite funny watching him trying to persuade the steward to let him stay, that was his day over 15mins into the match.

On 7/5/2016 at 22:57, RedM said:

Oh and u thought the level of police attending the match was well ott. I understand there had been trouble in recent weeks but not sure where from, Loftus road was indeed a library. Not a sound until they scored and then they went back to sleep. Certainly no noisy section 82/ Eastenders singers.I certainly didn't feel threatened or any hostility before or after the match. Mixed together outside and on the tube etc not a hint of any problem from either set of fans

There's always trouble between us and them.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

There's always trouble between us and them.

I've not been there before, and yes I awas aware I might not want to wander around the local area before the match etc. But I did walk right around the stadium outside before the game, went in the local shops and the club shop etc without any problem. Just noticed from the tube station (Shepards Bush) to the ground there were van loads of Police. Lots of fans from both clubs mixing without any problem on the nearby streets, didn't see any trouble at all.

I guess it can work both ways, high Police presence makes people feel safe/people unlikely to start anything as so many police around OR/ people feel intimidated and uncomfortable due to the high Police presence, I'm going to attend a football match, I'm not a criminal why do I have to be watched like one?

To be fair the Police were 'there' but mostly sat in their vans or stood to the side, you didn't have to walk through them as such. There were 3 separate checks by stewards before entry though, a ticket check, then you walked through cages/pens (felt like cattle) then a bag search and then onto another steward for a pat down. 

It was never a high tension match. We away fans sung and the QPR fans sat in the sunshine. From the police etc outside you think it was a local derby with promotion/relegation at stake.

14 hours ago, balderino said:

It happened about 4 rows in front of me and I saw exactly what happened. A city fan had managed to get back to his seat with the dregs of a plastic cider bottle. A steward came looking and asked for the plastic cider bottle back which the fan gave him with no problems. If common sense had prevailed the stewards would have left it there and nothing further would have happened, but the steward re-appeared with at least half a dozen others and wanted to eject the bloke. Totally over the top reaction from the stewards who were very aggressive. The city fans were not provoking the stewards just defending the guy from the over reaction of the stewards.

Just to back up the above stories about over reaction from police and stewards at this ground. I was just walking to the ground with a few kids and a few older chaps (I'm over 50 myself) and had a a can of cider. All of a sudden a police van with about 8 policeman swooped across the road and blocked our way , it was like something out of the Sweeney. Some copper cam out with a very condascending attitude to confront us about our offence, drinking the alcohol in the street. No signs though.   

Whilst I agree it was an over reaction from the stewards and police in both instances, I can't help but feel it's something that happens because these Police and Stewards have to deal with complete morons week in and week out.

I'm not condoning what happened...but you can understand why it's got to this point.

I watched a couple young stewards trying to deal with some of our drunken idiots, and they got absolute dogs abuse from them. And all they were doing was trying to find their seats for them.

See and deal with that every game and it's going to effect the way you react in general.

I'm sorry...but I can't help feel, that it's a minority of idiots who attend football, that cause all the problems we have to deal with.

We have to put up with aggressive action by Stewards, Police and 'bouncers' because of the actions of these idiots.

Why bring a bottle of cider into the seating when you know it's going to cause problems for you? Ok...it was out of order in the way it was dealt with...but why even risk that.

Again...be responsible for your own actions. Don't blame stewards or police...just don't cause a bloody nuisance in the first place. If everyone did this...we wouldn't have the problems.

Went down the main high st for a quick pint before the game...loads of bouncers on the doors.

Saw a nice pub and went up to the bouncers and asked whether it was ok to come in... 'QPR only, lets see your tickets' was the response....my response 'Euwwwwww Football...hate that game, much prefer Rugby'....they let us straight in. Say's it all really.

Why anyone needs to get drunk at 12 noon, behave like a **** and anti social behaviour, and not expect to be dealt with, is beyond me.

The minority that do this...these are the people to blame... no one else.

Treat people how you wish to be treated...a motto I try to live by.

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst I agree it was an over reaction from the stewards and police in both instances, I can't help but feel it's something that happens because these Police and Stewards have to deal with complete morons week in and week out.

I'm not condoning what happened...but you can understand why it's got to this point.

I watched a couple young stewards trying to deal with some of our drunken idiots, and they got absolute dogs abuse from them. And all they were doing was trying to find their seats for them.

See and deal with that every game and it's going to effect the way you react in general.

I'm sorry...but I can't help feel, that it's a minority of idiots who attend football, that cause all the problems we have to deal with.

We have to put up with aggressive action by Stewards, Police and 'bouncers' because of the actions of these idiots.

Why bring a bottle of cider into the seating when you know it's going to cause problems for you? Ok...it was out of order in the way it was dealt with...but why even risk that.

Again...be responsible for your own actions. Don't blame stewards or police...just don't cause a bloody nuisance in the first place. If everyone did this...we wouldn't have the problems.

Went down the main high st for a quick pint before the game...loads of bouncers on the doors.

Saw a nice pub and went up to the bouncers and asked whether it was ok to come in... 'QPR only, lets see your tickets' was the response....my response 'Euwwwwww Football...hate that game, much prefer Rugby'....they let us straight in. Say's it all really.

Why anyone needs to get drunk at 12 noon, behave like a **** and anti social behaviour, and not expect to be dealt with, is beyond me.

The minority that do this...these are the people to blame... no one else.

Treat people how you wish to be treated...a motto I try to live by.

Ok, one of those lads was my nephew.

He is not a moron pal or an idiot. 

He watches city nigh on every week and just wants to support city. 

Fair enough he brought a bottle in but as a guy above said they gave it to the stewards straight away and caused no issues.

The stewards were total *****s in this regard and it's their actions that was moronic and unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Fair enough he brought a bottle in but as a guy above said they gave it to the stewards straight away and caused no issues.

The stewards were total *****s in this regard and it's their actions that was moronic and unacceptable.

Something of a contradiction if I may say so....

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Something of a contradiction if I may say so....

Really?? Cus he brought in a plastic bottle. 

An error of judgement at best. One which he handed to the steward straight away when asked.

That justifies being thrown down the stairs and man handled some time after they gave them the  plastic bottles?

Tit.

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I'm sorry for what happened to your nephew...it was way over the top.

But it would never have happened, if he hadn't taken the bottle to the seats in the first place.

Think about it...why give the stewards a problem in the first place?

It all came about because your nephew didn't think. Yes you don't expect to be treated that way...but be responsible for your own actions.

Stop blaming others for reacting to doing wrong in the first place.

I'm sorry...but your nephews decision to take the bottle into the seating area, was idiotic imo... he's suffered because someone over reacted to a situation he caused.

If you don't cause a problem then there is no problem to deal with in the first place.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

But it would never have happened, if he hadn't taken the bottle to the seats in the first place.

It all came about because your nephew didn't think. Yes you don't expect to be treated that way...but be responsible for your own actions.

I'm sorry...but your nephews decision to take the bottle into the seating area, was idiotic imo... he's suffered because someone over reacted to a situation he caused.

If you don't cause a problem then there is no problem to deal with in the first place.

Absolute shit. How is a plastic bottle "a problem".

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Two wrongs don't make a right,or something like that.

22 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Absolute shit. How is a plastic bottle "a problem".

Because it had alcohol in it. 

Or maybe it was just because it was a plastic bottle. Recent experiences of grounds, even our own, have different policies re plastic bottle containing soft drinks. West Brom, took the whole bottle from me. Fulham, no problem at all, take it in. Brentford, I'm taking your bottle top.

I was pretty annoyed at Brentford if I'm honest, asked why. Told it was 'policy'. I asked what did they think I was going to do with a small bottle of lucazade? Their reply ' you might fill it with, you know what and throw it at us' 'you really think I'm going to do that?'  'Well no, but it's policy'

Then I had to take my opened bottle with no lid into the toilets (yuck). Then I saw their food and drink places selling boiling hot tea and coffee in cups with lids!!! What a farce, I'm sure I could do more damage, if I wanted to, with a hot drink than a bottle of wee which would be quite difficult for me to fill!!!

19 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

On a positive note me and some friends were drinking outside the ground. Two friendly plod informed us of the rules. We handed over the beer and that was it.

Yeah but they captured it on CCTV,so expect an early morning visit from the plod.

On 08/05/2016 at 09:35, phantom said:

The Football supporters federation and the Football League's faircop team are interested in this now, I did tell the friends of the guy hurt to look on here so hopefully they will. 

If you know the guy feel free to pm me and I'll give you the relevant contact details 

Saw the same as you Phants. As you know due to us being at the top of the stairs the steward threw the fella down. If required happy to give a statement of events :)

I was sat directly behind this incident. A steward asked for the bottle and the chap gave it back to him no problem. In a manner of 'fine, you caught me, fair play'. Then a group of 4/5 stewards came to ask the chap to leave. He rightly refused and said that the bottle was gone now, so there was no problem. City fans around us started to get quite hostile as the stewards started to grab the fan and force him out of his chair. A few punches were thrown from either side, and then eventually he managed to force the guy down the stairs. Literally threw him down. 

Funnily enough I witnessed another fan, ten rows or so down to my left, also get a bottle taken off him. And that was that. Situation over. That's how it should have been dealt with... So why cause trouble elsewhere?

Unbelievable that a fan broke his collarbone. And they say this thuggish behaviour from police/stewards towards football fans (like the attitude towards supporters at Hillsborough) doesn't exist anymore. Hope he makes a speedy recovery. 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

On a positive note me and some friends were drinking outside the ground. Two friendly plod informed us of the rules. We handed over the beer and that was it.

Not sure you should be giving alcohol to officers on duty. If they were all intent on getting drunk before the game, it is no wonder fans are going to get hurt.

Farce.

It does underline that football fans are treated as animals at the best of times.

If someone inadvertently took a beer into a cinema, theatre or other public place where it wasn't permitted I imagine things might be a bit different.

I don't remember cinemas, theatres etc. having problems with large numbers of drunk men including rioting and hooliganism in the past, and tens of thousands of pounds spend on policing/stewarding every week so that comparison is stupid.

If he watches city "nigh on every week" he should know the rules of a football ground, and what is likely to happen if he sneaks in alcohol. I assume QPRs policy is that if you bring in alcohol, you are told to leave.

If the lad watches city every week, and sneaks in some alcohol, he can't be surprised this happens - he made his bed, now he needs to lie in it. Don't be stupid enough to break the rules if you don't like the consequences. Very disappointing how the stewards handled it of course and no excuse for that, but it's very odd to hear people standing up for the kids decision too in my opinion.

No doubt next time this will be referred to and there will be MORE stewards and more police at QPR next time we go - and the same people complaining they are heavy handed wonder why when this happens when they are just trying to enforce the rules the club have told them to. This is the kind of nonsense the police use to justify treating football fans like cr*p some of the time.

edit: It's annoying because I can't take a bloody bottle of water in to watch the football with me, because idiots try and circumvent the rules by sneaking in booze and then there's a fight between fans and stewards, so we all get punished as a result.

• Admin
52 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I don't remember cinemas, theatres etc. having problems with large numbers of drunk men including rioting and hooliganism in the past, and tens of thousands of pounds spend on policing/stewarding every week so that comparison is stupid.

If he watches city "nigh on every week" he should know the rules of a football ground, and what is likely to happen if he sneaks in alcohol. I assume QPRs policy is that if you bring in alcohol, you are told to leave.

If the lad watches city every week, and sneaks in some alcohol, he can't be surprised this happens - he made his bed, now he needs to lie in it. Don't be stupid enough to break the rules if you don't like the consequences. Very disappointing how the stewards handled it of course and no excuse for that, but it's very odd to hear people standing up for the kids decision too in my opinion.

No doubt next time this will be referred to and there will be MORE stewards and more police at QPR next time we go - and the same people complaining they are heavy handed wonder why when this happens when they are just trying to enforce the rules the club have told them to. This is the kind of nonsense the police use to justify treating football fans like cr*p some of the time.

edit: It's annoying because I can't take a bloody bottle of water in to watch the football with me, because idiots try and circumvent the rules by sneaking in booze and then there's a fight between fans and stewards, so we all get punished as a result.

A little bit of perspective here I think

The lad was thrown down a set of stairs and ended up with a broken elbow for taking a plastic bottle to his seat - it has since come to light that many away fans and numerous home fans have come into problems with stewards at Loftus Road - Let's just hope it isn't you or someone you know who is on the end of this next season

2 hours ago, Chloe1992 said:

Funnily enough I witnessed another fan, ten rows or so down to my left, also get a bottle taken off him. And that was that. Situation over. That's how it should have been dealt with... So why cause trouble elsewhere?

Yep, just in front of me and the Steward was a Gentleman

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Whether I am in a cinema, theatre or a football ground I expect to be treated like a normal human being and certainly within the law.  For the most part, I am anyway.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Whether I am in a cinema, theatre or a football ground I expect to be treated like a normal human being and certainly within the law.  For the most part, I am anyway.

I'm pretty sure that being ejected for taking alcohol into the stands is within the law. Whilst I would agree that the way they tried to eject him didn't involve a whole load of common sense, hostility towards the stewards trying to do it really isn't the answer.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

I'm pretty sure that being ejected for taking alcohol into the stands is within the law. Whilst I would agree that the way they tried to eject him didn't involve a whole load of common sense, hostility towards the stewards trying to do it really isn't the answer.

Agree.  A few rules and some common sense applied shouldn't result in any problems at all.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Agree.  A few rules and some common sense applied shouldn't result in any problems at all.

As far as I can see, the guy should have gone with the stewards, tried talking his way out of it and, if he failed, taken his medicine without complaint.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

Because it had alcohol in it. 

Or maybe it was just because it was a plastic bottle. Recent experiences of grounds, even our own, have different policies re plastic bottle containing soft drinks. West Brom, took the whole bottle from me. Fulham, no problem at all, take it in. Brentford, I'm taking your bottle top.

I was pretty annoyed at Brentford if I'm honest, asked why. Told it was 'policy'. I asked what did they think I was going to do with a small bottle of lucazade? Their reply ' you might fill it with, you know what and throw it at us' 'you really think I'm going to do that?'  'Well no, but it's policy'

Then I had to take my opened bottle with no lid into the toilets (yuck). Then I saw their food and drink places selling boiling hot tea and coffee in cups with lids!!! What a farce, I'm sure I could do more damage, if I wanted to, with a hot drink than a bottle of wee which would be quite difficult for me to fill!!!

Strange, they kept mine on. Maybe I had an innocent looking face ;)

Archived