IGNORED

QPR Stewards taken away by the police

phantom

1 hour ago, phantom said:

A little bit of perspective here I think

The lad was thrown down a set of stairs and ended up with a broken elbow for taking a plastic bottle to his seat - it has since come to light that many away fans and numerous home fans have come into problems with stewards at Loftus Road - Let's just hope it isn't you or someone you know who is on the end of this next season

Fair enough, but the people I go with don't intentionally break the rules we are all well aware of, and if we did we would expect the consequences of doing so. I've been to many games and never had a problem with police or stewards.

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Whether I am in a cinema, theatre or a football ground I expect to be treated like a normal human being and certainly within the law.  For the most part, I am anyway.

Yes of course. But if you want to be treated fairly then if you break the rules and get asked to leave, then you also have to treat those people fairly and leave which it sounds like didn't happen in this case. If I was in the cinema and snuck alcohol in, and someone official came up and asked me to leave because of it I would, I wouldn't start and argument or getting violent.

Again, I'm not condoning what happened to this lad as it sounds awful, but if you break the rules which are well known and clear in football then you can't be surprised if you get asked to leave.

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I don't remember cinemas, theatres etc. having problems with large numbers of drunk men including rioting and hooliganism in the past, and tens of thousands of pounds spend on policing/stewarding every week so that comparison is stupid.

If he watches city "nigh on every week" he should know the rules of a football ground, and what is likely to happen if he sneaks in alcohol. I assume QPRs policy is that if you bring in alcohol, you are told to leave.

If the lad watches city every week, and sneaks in some alcohol, he can't be surprised this happens - he made his bed, now he needs to lie in it. Don't be stupid enough to break the rules if you don't like the consequences. Very disappointing how the stewards handled it of course and no excuse for that, but it's very odd to hear people standing up for the kids decision too in my opinion.

No doubt next time this will be referred to and there will be MORE stewards and more police at QPR next time we go - and the same people complaining they are heavy handed wonder why when this happens when they are just trying to enforce the rules the club have told them to. This is the kind of nonsense the police use to justify treating football fans like cr*p some of the time.

edit: It's annoying because I can't take a bloody bottle of water in to watch the football with me, because idiots try and circumvent the rules by sneaking in booze and then there's a fight between fans and stewards, so we all get punished as a result.

So throwing him down the stairs is a perfectly acceptable punishment? :blink:

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

So throwing him down the stairs is a perfectly acceptable punishment? :blink:

Show me where I said that?

Or did I in fact say " Very disappointing how the stewards handled it of course and no excuse for that" in the post..?

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Show me where I said that?

Or did I in fact say " Very disappointing how the stewards handled it of course and no excuse for that" in the post..?

Understatement but my main issue with your post is  'Don't be stupid enough to break the rules if you don't like the consequences'... Its an extreme consequence.

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Understatement but my main issue with your post is  'Don't be stupid enough to break the rules if you don't like the consequences'... Its an extreme consequence.

The consequence is being asked to leave, not being thrown down the stairs. If you break the rule, you have to accept that it is likely you will be asked to leave, and do so if that happened.

I often take a little hip flask with me with a drop of Whiskey to the football, rugby and horse racing, nothing wrong with that, common sense never seems to be shown by too many stewards at football matches, should of took the can off him and tell him to enjoy the football, too many people on here willing to accept being treated like naughty school boys 

Another thread that sums up some of the people on here.

One of our own gets thrown down stairs by a steward at QPR, breaks his collar bone and people on here think it's alright because the naughty boy dared to smuggle a drink in the ground? Some implying he deserved it?!

Spudski, I thought you posted sense but I'll now struggle to take you seriously after the crap you've just written.

10 hours ago, gamon said:

Another thread that sums up some of the people on here.

One of our own gets thrown down stairs by a steward at QPR, breaks his collar bone and people on here think it's alright because the naughty boy dared to smuggle a drink in the ground? Some implying he deserved it?!

Spudski, I thought you posted sense but I'll now struggle to take you seriously after the crap you've just written.

I think you need to read again what I've written.

It has nothing to do with 'one of our own'.

I've said he didn't deserve it. I've also given a reason why Stewards over react.

I'm seeing it from both sides of the story. City fan was in the wrong...Steward was in the wrong.

Both made bad decisions. No body on this thread has implied he deserved what happened to him.

But like others have said...if he goes to football a lot, like has been said, then he will know the rules, and will have seen in the past how stewards and Police can over react.

Why risk it?

I'm not surprised some stewards 'lose it' sometimes. The amount of unnecessary abuse they receive from drunken fans every game is enough to make you wonder how they keep their cool every game.

The fan didn't deserve it...no one deserves to be thrown down concrete stairs.

I hope you now see my reasoning.

I didn't take much notice on Saturday but saw QPR were selling the little plastic bottles of drink, quite easy to sneak one out onto the stand, especially as the area is quite cramped. I guess we don't have this problem as we serve drinks in plastic glasses which are much more difficult to conceal I would imagine, also we are more spacious and have room to walk up to the stands so a pint would be very visible, even in the Atyeo?

Maybe QPR in view of this, if a complaint gets escalated,  might not sell alcohol to us next visit. But that would impact on their takings, push people to local pubs before the match which they wouldn't want either.

Dont know what their policy is, as I said earlier different grounds do different things even for soft drinks. I guess it was to remove the drink and the person, but why wasn't it done at the same time, if they had already decided to throw him out he should have been asked to return to the concourse to finish his drink and discussion should have taken place there. I understand the bottle was given up willingly then a while after stewards came to eject. It sounds like there were faults on both sides, but I guess if there is no consequence for bringing alcohol in view of the pitch, ie ejection, then many more would try it if all they were going to lose was their drink rather than missing the game?

Archived