IGNORED

Speeding Ticket Villa game

bakes

Just got a Notice of Intended Prosecution from Avon and Somerset Police speed enforcement unit for 27 mph in a 20 mph limit on Cumberland Road just after midday of the Villa game.

From manned equipment, 3 points and £100 fine must have been somewhere near the entrance to the cottage inn car park.

Just to warn anyone who drives down here on match day, i thought they had to display speed camera signs where they were carrying out mobile speed checks?

Don't think they have to display it but they have to be seen out in the open, can't hide round corners or behind other vehicles/objects.

Just sent off for my speed awareness course. Not caught in the same place as you. Winds me up! 20 mph is ridiculous and nothing but a money making scheme. It causes more harm to the environment by burning more fuel in a lower gear and I don't believe there is anything concrete showing this has reduced accidents/injuries. Rant over!

Thanks for the heads up though

Me too. Same place ,just after mid day. Must have caught a lot of unsuspecting motorists. Didn't see any vehicle monitoring speed or any 20 mph signs. really didn't know it was a 20 mph zone.

I live in Wiltshire so not too  familiar with the 20 mph restrictions around the City centre . Is the whole area 20MPH?

Fine seems excessive IMO with 3 points too.

1 hour ago, Marlborough Red said:

I live in Wiltshire so not too  familiar with the 20 mph restrictions around the City centre . Is the whole area 20MPH?

Fine seems excessive IMO with 3 points too.

I think it was introduced by Ferguson so say to protect the children to and from school. That and his ridiculous residential parking strategy cost him re-election.

**** of the highest order was Red Trousers.

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

On the Hengrove Way dual carriageway section between Hartcliffe Way roundabout and Cater Road roundabout, the speed camera van parks in Whitland Road which runs parallel, with it's camera pointing towards cars heading towards Bishopsworth.

Very sneaky.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/advice/vehicles-and-roads/speeding/speed-camera-information/mobile-speed-camera-enforcement-schedules/enforcement-schedule-for-week-commencing-5th-september/

Cameras at each end of Whitland rd as it is being used as a rat run.Three way lights on South Bristol link road.

12 hours ago, Rooster said:

I hope that's the case as I was in a bit of a hurry.

"Rat Run".......isn't that just a normal road that anyone can drive along but the residents don't want anyone bar themselves using it?

16 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Don't think they have to display it but they have to be seen out in the open, can't hide round corners or behind other vehicles/objects.

Just sent off for my speed awareness course. Not caught in the same place as you. Winds me up! 20 mph is ridiculous and nothing but a money making scheme. It causes more harm to the environment by burning more fuel in a lower gear and I don't believe there is anything concrete showing this has reduced accidents/injuries. Rant over!

Thanks for the heads up though

Went on a speed awareness course in Northampton a fair while ago. As part of the course they explained about the reasons for 20 mph limits and in particular around schools.

They received loads of complaints from parents at one school because drivers were driving past school in excess of the 20mph limit children were going indoor leaving school , so they put in a mobile speed camera van.

80% of the drivers they caught speeding were parents and teachers at the school!

46 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I hope that's the case as I was in a bit of a hurry.

"Rat Run".......isn't that just a normal road that anyone can drive along but the residents don't want anyone bar themselves using it?

The problem is it's almost impossible to turn right at the end of Hartcliffe way at peak times of the day, so people use Whitland instead. With all the money spent on the link road, you would have thought they would have sorted out some of these traffic bottle necks along the way. They even moved the bus stop closer to the junction now, when they could have put it outside the community centre where it would have caused less problems and been more useful....

Went on speed awareness course back in July, I am a self employed courier and HGV driver ...In my opinion Bristol is one of the worse Cities to drive around...these low life's who report drivers going 35 mph in a 30 mph is beyond belief..If I get caught speeding and get a fine then fair enough but it's the points that are unfair it don't take much to get a ban and my living is down the pan...Easy answer is don't speed but in reality it don't take much to get caught out just a few seconds of not concentrating. 

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I got nabbed for the second time in a matter of months, 36 in a 30, both sneaky vans...after a 20 year or so clean license. Fair enough, but I watch motorcycles drive past me at 60mph, who is the real problem? Think I might opt for the course this time.

Motorcyclists can go as fast as they like whilst approaching a camera without getting caught, no number plate on the front, cars do have plates on the front.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've never been caught speeding, but I am a fan of those 'police, camera ACTION!' shows that present clips of police chases and car crashes.

Just wondering if the clips they show on these courses are better than the ones on the telly.

Might be worth putting my foot down if they are.

Went to one by Dorset Police after getting done and they didn`t show any videos at all. It was just some retired copper lecturing us and I got the feeling he was just as bored as we were.

28 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It's worth pointing out that the NIP has to be served within 14 days of the offence otherwise if appealed it will be overturned. 

Trouble is they tend to be very punctual. 

@NeilS I'm not sure you can take a course after you've already accepted points on a previous occasion. But I could be wrong. 

Has this always been the case ? I got done in January 2015 and it was at least 5 weeks before it dropped through the door .

Archived