IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Leeds United Match Day Thread

7 minutes ago, Midred said:

Yes, during miner's strike leading to electricity rationing. Match brought forward from Tuesday (Wednesday?) evening to save the floodlights.

Pretty sure floodlights weren't an option due to the power crisis.

Remember we played Millwall at AG on a Tuesday afternoon too.

Still remember all the power cuts, with evenings spent at home in a darkened house with just the occasional candle, and no TV.

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

To be honest I feel a tad cheated no mention of the following:-

The flat caps, the whippets, the brass bands playing.  The smoking chimneys from real coal fires.  The cobbled streets.  The dry stone walls.  The unspoilt beauty of The Dales.  Chips wi’ bits and fizzy pop on t’way home.  Beef dripping on bread and a pint of hand-pulled real ale.  The curves of a Henry Moore, the colours of a David Hockney and the fast bowling of Fred Trueman.  A proper cup o’tea with proper biccies.  The neighbours that wave from across the street.  The postman that knows your first name.  The tastiest grub.  The friendliest folk.  Emmerdale Farm.Champions of Europe.  

Apart from these minor omissions as always an excellent read.

Thank you 

Well may I remind you young sir to delve into the Match Day Thread archives to find a previous Leeds match for a little detail along your preferred lines; and please don't ask me to send you a link, its hard to find and I am sure you will do so faster than me.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unfortunately I am going tonight, which as some of you know, doesn't bode well.  12 games without a win, and in 6 games this calendar year, I've only seen 1 City goal.  Let's hope it's 13th time lucky!

Just ... i was going to say 'don't do it' but you know what?.. what the hec, this is the new Bristol City and as Cynic reminds us we can turn any team over in this division.

3 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:
4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

So what did I say exactly that lost you your tongue?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Bloody hell @ChippenhamRed, I set up a petition to stop you attending after last time!

@havanatopia the Italian connection for our goals would be Diego Di Girolamo.

Arghhhh yes... I forgot about him. The only problem is he was born in Chesterfield although his Dad comes from Naples a staunch enemy of Sardinia back during the three Coalition wars of the early 19th century. We may very well have our connection.. last minute substitute and winner perhaps? Unlikely.

Edited by havanatopia
58 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Who else was at Elland Road in 1974 for the FA cup replay? I was there as a teenager, when we scored I went totally berserk and nobody within 20 yards of me moved! City till I die and I nearly did back in 1974.

Yes, I was there too. Same thing happened - I was jumping up and down and no-one else moved around me. What made it better was I'd just moved up to Yorkshire for work and lived ten miles outside Leeds - really easy to get there.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ah but @havanatopia Welsh (or Waelsc) was the term Saxons used for any non-Germanic tribesman. It is an over-simplification to suggest the modern Welsh are the descendants of ancient Britons "pushed back" into the bit of land no-one particularly wanted. Mitochondrial DNA analysis presents a more nuanced view.

On another note, people with the surnames Welsh, Welch or Walsh are not necessarily of Welsh ancestry, just foreigners in the areas where they received their name.

Anyway, my contribution to Havantopia's impressive work of scholarship is to note that prior to the early 90s, Leeds was the only place in the UK where it was acceptable to drink Tetley Bitter. It really did taste different there.  Now, however, it's brewed in Hartlepool and tastes horrible everywhere.

Bit like Strongbow then 

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yes indeed, as a 15 year old. It was a midweek afternoon due the power crisis. Presumably must have been during school half term?

As I said on the other thread, I was on the packed side terrace amongst the home fans and didn't celebrate the goal at all.

In fact didn't move a muscle - the vast majority of Leeds fans that day looked ready and more than willing to punch a City fan if they found one!

Miners strike,3 day week and power cuts......... ahhh the good old days.

Wasn't allowed to go, listened to the radio while playing football in the local school, which was closed.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Bit like Strongbow then 

Miners strike,3 day week and power cuts......... ahhh the good old days.

Wasn't allowed to go, listened to the radio while playing football in the local school, which was closed.

Yep, but the 3 day week ( & half term) meant 47,000+ could get to Elland Road on a midweek afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_x2xcJ32i8

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Arghhhh yes... I forgot about him. The only problem is he was born in Chesterfield although his Dad comes from Naples a staunch enemy of Sardinia back during the three Coalition wars of the early 19th century. We may very well have our connection.. last minute substitute and winner perhaps? Unlikely.

Or could it be Hordur with the winning goal, we signed him from Juventus? You didn't say he had to be Italian.

Just now, Taxi for Rennie said:

Tammy is bound to get at least 1.

Wood is likely to get 1.

So it could be 1-1.

However - we are at home, and have our tails up after our crusades in London.

On this analysis, it will be 3-2 to City.

Yes - there will be late goals.

:yes:

Uncle TFR

......... so don't leave early.

:nono:

Uncle TFR

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Sort of ' come and have a curry and a lager ' ? 

So long as he's back by bedtime .

Nah, I think they were on about the screening of the new Bridget Jones flick up Longwell Green. Couple of bottles of chardonnay and an industrial vat of Ben and Jerry's. 

Then they'll paint each others toenails.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Well may I remind you young sir to delve into the Match Day Thread archives to find a previous Leeds match for a little detail along your preferred lines; and please don't ask me to send you a link, its hard to find and I am sure you will do so faster than me.

Just ... i was going to say 'don't do it' but you know what?.. what the hec, this is the new Bristol City and as Cynic reminds us we can turn any team over in this division.

So what did I say exactly that lost you your tongue?

I don't know why my reply doesn't show, I was trying to quote a section of your post without forcing others to scroll the whole screen for a second time. 

My suggestion was of Magnusson being our tenuous Italian collection through his transfer from Juve.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unfortunately I am going tonight, which as some of you know, doesn't bode well.  12 games without a win, and in 6 games this calendar year, I've only seen 1 City goal.  Let's hope it's 13th time lucky!

I'm currently on a run of 9 games without a loss.  8 wins and a draw and an GD of +12.  In four games this calendar year I've seen 7 City goals and 3 opposition goals.

Sadly I'm not attending tonight.

Edited by ExiledAjax
5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes, I was at the Newcastle game. Let's hope you're right though!

Yes let's.

If we ever attend the same game then we (and all other OTIBers) should put some money on it being a draw.  I'm pretty sure that's how this lucky/unlucky charm thing works.

For what it's worth I fancy us for the 3-1 win tonight. Tammy, then Leeds, 1-1 at HT then O'Dowda to finally score his first and finally a latish penalty for Tomlin to put the icing on the cake.

Edited by ExiledAjax