IGNORED

Forest look tired and in need of a break !!!

myol'man

43 minutes ago, myol'man said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37497056

Poor lambs! They'll be even more tired after Saturday. 

Aww bless them. How unfair. They have had to play exactly the same number of matches as us in September, except we've had to travel for 4 away matches out of those 6 games whereas they have only had 3 away games. One very local at Villa. 

Forest's return mileage traveled to matches in September = 278

City's return mileage traveled to matches in September = 1,190!!

Now stop your fcuking whinging! 

27 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Aww bless them. How unfair. They have had to play exactly the same number of matches as us in September, except we've had to travel for 4 away matches out of those 6 games whereas they have only had 3 away games. One very local at Villa. 

Forest's return mileage traveled to matches in September = 278

City's return mileage traveled to matches in September = 1,190!!

Now stop your fcuking whinging! 

Come on now, we have only travelled 4x as far, can't you see how that puts Forest at a disadvantage?!

No, me neither!

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

A few of our boys literally fell to their knees at the final whistle Tuesday night, nothing too disimilar

That was a very hard game. Very physical and high energy. I'm not surprised some of them were knackered.

I posted the next day that after the Leeds game the players would time to fully recover.

It's staggering, really, that Montanier has said this about our players. Hardly any of them have played two consecutive matches all season. From one league match to the next, any of half a dozen players can be rotated in and out. I'm not sure it's a pre-emptive excuse - every Forest fan knows we're not going to get anything on Saturday, but that's more due to the fact that we haven't got a very good team than because of any thoughts of tiredness.

1 hour ago, Chiva said:

It's staggering, really, that Montanier has said this about our players. Hardly any of them have played two consecutive matches all season. From one league match to the next, any of half a dozen players can be rotated in and out. I'm not sure it's a pre-emptive excuse - every Forest fan knows we're not going to get anything on Saturday, but that's more due to the fact that we haven't got a very good team than because of any thoughts of tiredness.

So, what's happened?

10 minutes ago, Bob Binalong said:

In the Davis Cup recently  Andy Murray played 12 sets of tennis in 3 days. The first match was 5 hours long. The other two were 4 and 3 hours.

Perhaps we should get tennis fitness coaches into football clubs then we wouldn't all be tired and weeping with three games in a week

Two completely different sports. As much as I admire the levels of fitness of Novak and Murray etc, they don't endure any form of physical contact from opposing players. 

4 hours ago, Griffin said:

So, what's happened?

It's hard to say, I think everybody from the manager to the players to the fans felt deflated when we sold Burke, even if it was for a fairly large sum of money. The consensus was that, while he was a rookie, he was a very talented rookie, capable of reaching the very top levels of the game. We all hoped we'd see more of him than 10 league starts, especially as we were beginning to see opposition teams fear him. We then had to go out and replace him with cheap, foreign signings, who are lacking in match fitness and, on the evidence so far, lacking in ability, too. We also have a number of senior players who are over-rated and/or injury-prone, who cannot make up for the skill deficit that has been caused by Burke's departure. Montanier hasn't got an easy job. There's a tendency to look at Forest and think that we've spent big money, but we've brought in £13.5m since he arrived and spent £300k. Our starting line-up the other night contained one player we had paid a fee for - the rest were free transfers, loans and Academy products. Yet our crazy chairman probably expects something more than a bottom-half finish.

6 minutes ago, Chiva said:

It's hard to say, I think everybody from the manager to the players to the fans felt deflated when we sold Burke, even if it was for a fairly large sum of money. The consensus was that, while he was a rookie, he was a very talented rookie, capable of reaching the very top levels of the game. We all hoped we'd see more of him than 10 league starts, especially as we were beginning to see opposition teams fear him. We then had to go out and replace him with cheap, foreign signings, who are lacking in match fitness and, on the evidence so far, lacking in ability, too. We also have a number of senior players who are over-rated and/or injury-prone, who cannot make up for the skill deficit that has been caused by Burke's departure. Montanier hasn't got an easy job. There's a tendency to look at Forest and think that we've spent big money, but we've brought in £13.5m since he arrived and spent £300k. Our starting line-up the other night contained one player we had paid a fee for - the rest were free transfers, loans and Academy products. Yet our crazy chairman probably expects something more than a bottom-half finish.

Do you and your fellow fans like and rate Montanier?

5 minutes ago, Chiva said:

Without wanting to sound harsh, you come across as a good poster on here and a proper fan, it is so nice to hear this kind of thing from fans of other, proper clubs. 

We are heading in the opposite direction (at long last!)

Whatever the result might be on Saturday, we are finally being viewed by clubs like Forest with a certain degree of respect & dare I say it, envy. 

Out of genuine interest.. Can I ask what you as an outsiders views of Bristol City as a club at the moment are..? 

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Do you and your fellow fans like and rate Montanier?

I like him in the sense that I think he has an idea of how he wants to play (positive, possession football), and that he strikes me as somebody who is competent and could be a success here - albeit in a couple of years time. I believe that a massive majority of Forest fans feel the same way, based on the fans I speak to and the consensus opinion on our forums. The problem we have is a nagging, shared concern about our chairman's patience and sense of realism. Even though Dougie Freedman didn't have many fans last season, a small majority of fans could not understand why he was sacked mid-season with no replacement lined up, considering he was performing the job expected of him. That is, he was reducing the wage bill, selling off players who could be sold, and keeping us in the Championship. We all felt the right time to sack him would have been at the end of the season when we came out of embargo, if the feeling was that the job was beyond him. So, Montanier could be a success, but there's no guarantee he'll get the time or the resources for us to find out. Fawaz wants to sell the club but isn't having much success.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Without wanting to sound harsh, you come across as a good poster on here and a proper fan, it is so nice to hear this kind of thing from fans of other, proper clubs. 

We are heading in the opposite direction (at long last!)

Whatever the result might be on Saturday, we are finally being viewed by clubs like Forest with a certain degree of respect & dare I say it, envy. 

Out of genuine interest.. Can I ask what you as an outsiders views of Bristol City as a club at the moment are..? 

The problem with judging any club in this division is the same, in that I'm only as knowledgeable as the small amount of information I was able to process. It came as no surprise to me whatsoever that you were quick to part ways with Cotterill last season. He is missing some necessary ingredient to be a Championship manager, although that is true of a lot of managers who can comfortably tune themselves into the less technical styles of League One.

I dare say we are jealous of the like of Bristol City, and Huddersfield, and teams that are successfully running their clubs within their means, without running their clubs into the ground. When I look at a team like Bristol City, I see the potential in the same way as it was there at Swansea, in that I see a method and a sense to transfer business, where players are sold at the top of their value, where young players are bought or loaned at the bottom of their value and developed into meaningful players. There is a clear rule of succession within these clubs, there is an ambition to grow which is true with the stadium expansion, there is an identity with a young manager who is a former player, and wants to build a modern-style football team that is fit and full of verve, as well as being tactically malleable both game-by-game and minute-by-minute within games themselves. These aren't necessarily qualities that are unique to any club, but at any time within a football club there is a sense of momentum, either upward or downward, and the difference I've noted between successful clubs and unsuccessful clubs is how they take advantage of their successes and how they arrest their failures.

Forest are a prime example in that the baby is often thrown out with the bath-water, because not only does the club fail on a micro-level in terms of the manager, it fails on everything else; method, finances, looking after the stadium. You visit The City Ground and you can see a fallen giant, a dilapidated stadium that plays host to an ever-decreasing standard of football, that is owned by an ever-decreasing standard of human being.

Contrast that to well-run clubs, and I suspect Bristol City can be held to that ideal, and you see why we're consistently poor. While different types of manager come to a football club, I have never noticed Lansdown change his method - he seems to keep his own counsel while being quietly ambitious, from ambitions towards the stadium and the regeneration of the surrounding area, to the football club itself. Simply being withdrawn and making decisions from that vantage point is an advantage because it ensures consistency of method, even if the ideas behind the method change, or if circumstances evolve that encourage a change in method. Football evolves all the time, and what is necessary is for clubs to make the best of their circumstances, especially at this level.

Sell high, buy low, bring as many fans as you can through the doors. Bristol City seem to be doing those three things at the minute, and ally that to a youthful vigour and you can see where things are going right. In a highly competitive division, with teams like Aston Villa and Newcastle seemingly having carte blanche at their disposal, things might yet deteriorate, but there's no reason why any team cannot aim for the play-offs, given that despite all the money spent, both those teams are very, very average at the minute.

29 minutes ago, Chiva said:

I like him in the sense that I think he has an idea of how he wants to play (positive, possession football), and that he strikes me as somebody who is competent and could be a success here - albeit in a couple of years time. I believe that a massive majority of Forest fans feel the same way, based on the fans I speak to and the consensus opinion on our forums. The problem we have is a nagging, shared concern about our chairman's patience and sense of realism. Even though Dougie Freedman didn't have many fans last season, a small majority of fans could not understand why he was sacked mid-season with no replacement lined up, considering he was performing the job expected of him. That is, he was reducing the wage bill, selling off players who could be sold, and keeping us in the Championship. We all felt the right time to sack him would have been at the end of the season when we came out of embargo, if the feeling was that the job was beyond him. So, Montanier could be a success, but there's no guarantee he'll get the time or the resources for us to find out. Fawaz wants to sell the club but isn't having much success.

The problem with judging any club in this division is the same, in that I'm only as knowledgeable as the small amount of information I was able to process. It came as no surprise to me whatsoever that you were quick to part ways with Cotterill last season. He is missing some necessary ingredient to be a Championship manager, although that is true of a lot of managers who can comfortably tune themselves into the less technical styles of League One.

I dare say we are jealous of the like of Bristol City, and Huddersfield, and teams that are successfully running their clubs within their means, without running their clubs into the ground. When I look at a team like Bristol City, I see the potential in the same way as it was there at Swansea, in that I see a method and a sense to transfer business, where players are sold at the top of their value, where young players are bought or loaned at the bottom of their value and developed into meaningful players. There is a clear rule of succession within these clubs, there is an ambition to grow which is true with the stadium expansion, there is an identity with a young manager who is a former player, and wants to build a modern-style football team that is fit and full of verve, as well as being tactically malleable both game-by-game and minute-by-minute within games themselves. These aren't necessarily qualities that are unique to any club, but at any time within a football club there is a sense of momentum, either upward or downward, and the difference I've noted between successful clubs and unsuccessful clubs is how they take advantage of their successes and how they arrest their failures.

Forest are a prime example in that the baby is often thrown out with the bath-water, because not only does the club fail on a micro-level in terms of the manager, it fails on everything else; method, finances, looking after the stadium. You visit The City Ground and you can see a fallen giant, a dilapidated stadium that plays host to an ever-decreasing standard of football, that is owned by an ever-decreasing standard of human being.

Contrast that to well-run clubs, and I suspect Bristol City can be held to that ideal, and you see why we're consistently poor. While different types of manager come to a football club, I have never noticed Lansdown change his method - he seems to keep his own counsel while being quietly ambitious, from ambitions towards the stadium and the regeneration of the surrounding area, to the football club itself. Simply being withdrawn and making decisions from that vantage point is an advantage because it ensures consistency of method, even if the ideas behind the method change, or if circumstances evolve that encourage a change in method. Football evolves all the time, and what is necessary is for clubs to make the best of their circumstances, especially at this level.

Sell high, buy low, bring as many fans as you can through the doors. Bristol City seem to be doing those three things at the minute, and ally that to a youthful vigour and you can see where things are going right. In a highly competitive division, with teams like Aston Villa and Newcastle seemingly having carte blanche at their disposal, things might yet deteriorate, but there's no reason why any team cannot aim for the play-offs, given that despite all the money spent, both those teams are very, very average at the minute.

Bloody hell, you can come again, what a great post! 

Archived