IGNORED

Tony Robinson

slartibartfast

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Remember him saying a few obscenities about the gas at one derby game . Always held him in high regard since then . Top man

A story that's gone down in history. He's never graced the pitch at HT with a microphone since. 

"CAN YOU HEAR THE ROVERS SING? WE CAN'T HEAR A F*****G THING!"

Sir Baldrick. Love him.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

He did a stint dressed as Baldrick, reciting Baldrick's poetry at Brian Tinnion's testimonial dinner.

One classic was

Pulis, Pulis, Pulis,

You were truly ******* clueless.

A cracking evening.

Blimey I had forgotten about that - yeah recall that now, he was hilarious

15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

i remember at one game the fans singing Baldrick can't sing and he retorted with a little song that included Baldrick can ****ing sing.  That was another magic moment.

Aye, in front of the Atyeo! As he was on the mic and the only one singing back it did cause a bit of an awkward moment as the whole of the Gate heard his repost. :shutup: I remember Mike Lewis masterfully brushing it aside and carrying on with the half time activities without a twitch - top pro was MIke!

Some years later Sir Tony was somehow given the mic again and recalled how embarrassed he was.

Yes, another magic moment and one that ought to have been on a Chrimbo DVD somewhere.:facepalm:

You can tell how embarrassed he is on the City Centenary video where he has to introduce footage of us versus the sags (the only derby footage on the whole video) and its of a bloody game we lost !!!

The gigantic cockwomble responsible for that piece of editorial genius should have been taken out and shot.

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

Wasn't he on the pitch during halftime of a televised game, trying to sing?

Dunno if it's the same one you mean fella. Tbf, it's Tony Robinson. If he got carried/thrown on the pitch by us lot, he'd probably start singing. If he'd had a few beers, I'd expect him to do some sort of pitch lap ala Baldrick-style. 

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

A story that's gone down in history. He's never graced the pitch at HT with a microphone since. 

"CAN YOU HEAR THE ROVERS SING? WE CAN'T HEAR A F*****G THING!"

Sir Baldrick. Love him.

If I remember correctly, he sang into the mic "CAN YOU HEAR THE ROVERS SING?" and immediately followed it up by mumbling into the microphone "no I ******* cant"

Great bloke, met him a few times through work in the late 90's, loves the City.

To me Sir Tony embodied all the qualities one would expect from a supporter of Bristol City FC.  He was diminutive, funny faced, left leaning and fond of children’s stories. 

Starting off on the course originally charted by Laurence Olivier and Harold Pinter Tony took a wrong turn in the 1970’s and ended up in Bristol which was no bad thing for the City. Who can forget those surging runs into the box office which more often than not ended up late at night on risky Channel 4 shows. And then, after 1982, the big break through came when he co-starred with Ron Atkinson in the hit comedy series Black Adder which brought him instant popularity but unfortunately, after complaints from reptile rights groups, led to Ron’s demise. 

Whilst Tony was presenting the archaeological series Time Team our paths crossed when I asked him to dig for skeletons under the Memorial Stadium. But, ever the true gentleman, he politely declined by explaining that he was still hoping to be invited to join the Society of Merchant Venturers and didn’t want to disturb them. 

In later years he broadened his career and waistline by taking on a number of new media assignment mainly related to narration. Although illegal in many developed countries narration continues to be accepted within Great Britain and Tony has excelled at it. 

It goes without saying that we shall all miss him. Particularly if he is out when we call around.

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

You can tell how embarrassed he is on the City Centenary video where he has to introduce footage of us versus the sags (the only derby footage on the whole video) and its of a bloody game we lost !!!

The gigantic cockwomble responsible for that piece of editorial genius should have been taken out and shot.

Cockwomble,new one on me,but I like it.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

If I remember correctly, he sang into the mic "CAN YOU HEAR THE ROVERS SING?" and immediately followed it up by mumbling into the microphone "no I ******* cant"

Great bloke, met him a few times through work in the late 90's, loves the City.

Might have been fella. I've imbibed a lot of alcohol since then... the grey cells I had aren't as plentiful nowadays.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Might have been fella. I've imbibed a lot of alcohol since then... the grey cells I had aren't as plentiful nowadays.

I could be wrong of course but I'm sure he mumbled something along those lines. Of course the fact it was into a mic meant that it was still audible to the whole stadium. :rofl2br:

I cant remember exactly which Derby match it was?

Remember going to see City at Brentford a few years ago in what was a Tuesday night game. Bought my ticket and sat down one of the sides, near the dug outs, among Brentford fans. The only trouble with this is you need to keep your head down and try not to give yourself away, as I'm sure we all know. Just before kick off, Tony Robinson arrives with wife/girlfriend/whatever and sits two seats away from me. Game starts and we're getting mullered. Eventually Brentford score - 1-0. By some freak and much against the run of play Tony Thorpe equalises - 1-1. I smile an unseen smile and cheer inside. Tony Robinson, on the other hand, jumps 5 feet out of his seat, punches the air and shouts 'yes!' I think 'OMG, this could be trouble'. Not him. Half time comes round and the local toughs come over and ask for his bleedin' autograph. Thinking it through, don't suppose anybody's going to beat up Baldrick - amazing what celebrity can protect you from. Incidentally, we were awful and deservedly lost 2-1.

Archived