IGNORED

What has happened to Joe Bryan?

Red Cloud

36 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

Not going to be popular I know but I thought he was by far our worst player yesterday, sluggish runs with half-hearted passing

To me, he's looked totally disinterested for some time now - looks more than just a loss of confidence

Joe Bryan "sluggishly" beat their full back several tines to put in crosses and shoot at goal. 

I would like to see him open his body up a little more when receiving the ball and he could have been more patient defending the cross for the first goal.

Completely disagree ... Offensively he was a positive. 

Being played in different positions every game won't help, one game you are much more defensive and need to track man and the next you are being told to get the ball and run with it and cause problems. What happens then is you do a mixture of both every game and don't do your job properly. Needs to be given a position and stick with it imo. 

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Joe Bryan "sluggishly" beat their full back several tines to put in crosses and shoot at goal. 

I would like to see him open his body up a little more when receiving the ball and he could have been more patient defending the cross for the first goal.

Completely disagree ... Offensively he was a positive. 

You went home after 20 minutes then?

I agree with you for the opening 20 minutes but then Bryan, like many players around him, just disappeared.

I think he's coasting at the moment.  He will think he is putting in his best effort but he has so much more to give.  It doesn't help that he was beyond awful on Tuesday and still gets picked ahead of Golbourne.

I'd drop Bryan and Reid to the U23s and tell them both to up their game if they ever want to play for the first team again.

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

You went home after 20 minutes then?

I agree with you for the opening 20 minutes but then Bryan, like many players around him, just disappeared.

I think he's coasting at the moment.  He will think he is putting in his best effort but he has so much more to give.  It doesn't help that he was beyond awful on Tuesday and still gets picked ahead of Golbourne.

I'd drop Bryan and Reid to the U23s and tell them both to up their game if they ever want to play for the first team again.

I watched the entire game. Surprised to see Joe Bryan start but ...Then for twenty minutes saw him make more positive contributions than anybody else . I think that is a plus worth persisting with. Other options in the same position offer little offensively.

Positives outnumber the negatives. Very good for twenty minutes gong forward in a position which at times can be difficult to affect the flow of the game. More of the same, no scapegoating for not being Roberto Carlos for ninety minutes.

Surely a crisis point for him now, struggled last year, even in his favoured LWB position, struggling at LB and LM this season. He's been a near regular since for more than 3 years now in the squad and he's had one good season. He's now 23 and isn't progressing, it's time he got some home truths or he's just going to coast through another season under performing.

52 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Maybe. ..just maybe...he isn't good enough for this level 

There's to many players who we don't want to admit are not good enough, because they are fan favorites . Flint and Bryan are two of them 

Spot on sadly.

Joe has never been consistently good at this level. Yes he was good for 20 minutes yesterday but his confidence has always been fragile. I understand the debate about his optimism position but if he was good enough that would be obvious by now - perhaps he's not good enough as a full back or a winger.

As for Flint - he has been at the heart of a defence that has consistently let in poor goals for two seasons. You can but conclude he's not good enough.

Confidence is the issue, compounded by being switched around from position to position each game. Hard to be consistent if you aren't consistently playing in the same position.

We also have the issue that like one or 2 others he has been talked up as this or that ( potential Premiership player) so when he doesn't perform as well as he thinks he could at this level, of course he is going to question himself. 

Joe is intelligent and a good footballer but that doesn't guarantee success or bring back confidence.

15 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Spot on sadly.

Joe has never been consistently good at this level. Yes he was good for 20 minutes yesterday but his confidence has always been fragile. I understand the debate about his optimism position but if he was good enough that would be obvious by now - perhaps he's not good enough as a full back or a winger.

As for Flint - he has been at the heart of a defence that has consistently let in poor goals for two seasons. You can but conclude he's not good enough.

This may sound daft,  but I have always questioned Joes desire.  I used to sit in the Atyeo but can remember one game when McInnes was in charge I sat in the Williams. Bryan was just a kid then (still is) and was just starting to get some game time by being on the bench etc. 

I can always remember McInnes telling him to warm up, and he trotted off down the line and put in a real half hearted warm up. Within minutes McInnes went ballistic.  That's always stuck in my mind as I would think as a kid, eager to get on, you'd be full of energy trying to prove to your manager how keen you are 

As I said...sounds daft,  but that moment has always stuck in my mind 

25 minutes ago, shelts said:

Thought like others Joe had a decent first half then as we got worse so did he. Thought Bobby was our best player going forward yesterday . 

Got to give a mention to Freeman too, he was lively. We were absolutely battering them when they scored, that goal somehow affected too many of our players for too long. I would have taken Joe off and Pack for my subs. Pack was unlucky to be subbed on Tuesday but yesterday he was poor. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

I watched the entire game. Surprised to see Joe Bryan start but ...Then for twenty minutes saw him make more positive contributions than anybody else . I think that is a plus worth persisting with. Other options in the same position offer little offensively.

Positives outnumber the negatives. Very good for twenty minutes gong forward in a position which at times can be difficult to affect the flow of the game. More of the same, no scapegoating for not being Roberto Carlos for ninety minutes.

He was excellent for 20 minutes.  If the game had ended there we'd all be happy with Bryan's game.  It didn't though and I'm bemused as to how 70 minutes of mediocrity outweighs 20 minutes of excellence.

Take a case in point: late on, Preston have a chance which is cleared off the line by Tammy.  The clearance drops to one of their players on the left of the box.  They have another opportunity to cross the ball f they aren't closed down quickly.  Who gets their first?  Tammy!  He virtually runs past Bryan to tackle the Preston player.  Our centre-forward.  On-loan.

Joe meanwhile is checking his hair in the big screen. He's thinking of what's for tea later on and who to vote for in Strictly.  And besides, he's done a lot of running around already so it's a bit much to expect him to get out of puff...

I exaggerate of course...

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

He was excellent for 20 minutes.  If the game had ended there we'd all be happy with Bryan's game.  It didn't though and I'm bemused as to how 70 minutes of mediocrity outweighs 20 minutes of excellence.

Take a case in point: late on, Preston have a chance which is cleared off the line by Tammy.  The clearance drops to one of their players on the left of the box.  They have another opportunity to cross the ball f they aren't closed down quickly.  Who gets their first?  Tammy!  He virtually runs past Bryan to tackle the Preston player.  Our centre-forward.  On-loan.

Joe meanwhile is checking his hair in the big screen. He's thinking of what's for tea later on and who to vote for in Strictly.  And besides, he's done a lot of running around already so it's a bit much to expect him to get out of puff...

I exaggerate of course...

I agree he was excellent for twenty minutes. I would though feel it is unrealistic to expect to see that level of involvement from a full back for ninety minutes as the opposition will switch on / improve. 

Of course twenty minutes of excellence outweighs his later contribution. His opportunity will be limited offensively due to his position.  In general he made more good decisions than poor ones offensively.  For the amount of touches he had in their third he was generally positive, very positive v negative. 

Archived