IGNORED

Taxi for Lansdown and Ashton

WessexPest

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Wish we could go and get Pardew, he would be a revalation at this level.  However it would cost a fortune to hire him, a fortune to hire his backroom staff, a fortune to pay off lee and his coaching staff and another fortune to give the new manager the support he would demand in the transfer market.

So while SL may have deep pockets, it's most unlikely he will want to go down that route on top of what he has already spent this season.

You see this is the problem; I'd love someone like Pardew, Rowett at the Gate but realistically I don't think any manager who values their reputation would touch us with a ten-foot barge pole because the current regime are so difficult to work with.

Probably why we ended up with the Hobbit in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I feel that eventually, we'll do a Cardiff. Spunk the cash and go up. Then straight back down and live off the parachutes. Then we will yo-yo between the two ala Sunderland or Boro.

Great.  I will take that. When do we begin!

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Wish we could go and get Pardew, he would be a revalation at this level.  However it would cost a fortune to hire him, a fortune to hire his backroom staff, a fortune to pay off lee and his coaching staff and another fortune to give the new manager the support he would demand in the transfer market.

So while SL may have deep pockets, it's most unlikely he will want to go down that route on top of what he has already spent this season.

I said pardew earlier,im not a fan of his or big Sam style of football and stick bruce in that bracket as well but they know how to get teams out of this division

Just now, AzerbaijanApeman said:

You see this is the problem; I'd love someone like Pardew, Rowett at the Gate but realistically I don't think any manager who values their reputation would touch us with a ten-foot barge pole because the current regime are so difficult to work with.

Probably why we ended up with the Hobbit in the first place.

So difficult to work with? Other than SC (in championship) or SOD tell me one manager who was not given a reasonable amount to spend? 

Jesus only Saturday we had Uwe Rossler praising our chairman for backing his manager, a few days ago Colin warnock, but clearly the Apeman from Azerbaijan knows the regime is difficult. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

He's not. I've slagged him off for mistakes plenty of times. He's always put his hands deep to put them right. He's taken a lot of punches and HAS NEVER seen us in the fourth division yet. 

Nobody can dispute what SL has done for this club. The stadium is his legacy and as you mentioned in an earlier post we have a succession line. I'm grateful for that, much more beneficial than the option the Gas have or even Florist right now.

However, SL has made some bad mistakes in his time in charge for which he has bailed the club out of at a personal cost. Ultimately I feel we need someone on the board as a soundbite to SL, I'm not convinced Ashton is the right man for that. 

We have Joe Jordan living nearby, with a wealth of experience, could he be brought in overlooking the football side of the Club. I think SL's downfall,  I don't think he truly understands the football side of a club (like a lot of us on here probably).

Turning the question round, will there ever be point where SL says enough is enough and either tries to sell the club or stops investing vast amounts to subsidise the club?   With the stadium and a few seasons of losses over £10m, his fantastic loyalty has cost him well over £100m.  Everyone says how wonderfully rich he is, but even for him this is not a small sum.   When does even a billionaire decide he has better ways to blow £10-15m every year? 

3 minutes ago, daored said:

We have Joe Jordan living nearby, with a wealth of experience, could he be brought in overlooking the football side of the Club. I think SL's downfall,  I don't think he truly understands the football side of a club (like a lot of us on here probably).

Now I definitely would not want to go down the JJ route again.

Almost exactly 20 years since his second tenure ended and how Ward picked up from where he left off and managed to get us to the playoffs I'll never know. We were a shambles.

Remember watching us lose 0-2 at home to Rotherham, makes the current season look like a golden era.

So watch it happen under the current regime!!!

32 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

The manager is merely a sideshow as far as I'm concerned - as long as the current regime is in place we will continue to round in circles.

Lansdown may not be short on a few quid but it takes more than that to run a football club competently, and he completely clueless. He's burned through managers like nobody's business - when it keeps ending in failure you need to look up the chain to see where the buck truly stops.

I'll get a lot of stick for this post, but I don't care one iota - I want BCFC to succeed and under SL I see us stuck in a yo-yoing rut at best.

"Alright then, AA - who have you got in mind to replace him?"

I don't know the answer to that question but look at the Scum - they were dissatisfied with Higgs and eventually someone came in; they seem happy with Al-Qadi even though he had no obvious connection with the club. City are a more tempting proposition than the Gas. I don't care if we are taken over by someone who has scrumpy running through his veins, I just want someone who can properly run our club.

By all means sack LJ - he's been found wanting at this level, but -oh! - where did we hear that before? Precisely a year ago.

Unforgivable. Lansdown - off you toddle and take Mark Ashton with you.

I will agree that SL has a beyond baffling desire to employ the cheap manager/head coach tactic time after time.

why he doesn't learn from it is I'm afraid well beyond my comprehension-I just wish someone would explain it to me.bonkers is being too kind.

The OP has the guts to call out SL. The reaction on here to this view, to my mind the logical one to hold when one looks back over SLs time with us, tells me that many fans do not have a big enough view on their Club and on our owner/Chairman/ et al Mr SL. Maybe they are content to have a League 1 yo-yo to support. I just wish SL would stop all the fantasy stuff about the Premiership. Unless he has a massive change of mind we are condemned to be a yo-yo under his despotic patronage. Nice plaything for him but not kind on the blameless idiots who skint themselves,without having millions behind them, supporting City week in week out.

At the moment SL is our benefactor and our curse -  the biggest obstacle to BCFC achieving the Prize.

Just now, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Now I definitely would not want to go down the JJ route again.

Almost exactly 20 years since his second tenure ended and how Ward picked up from where he left off and managed to get us to the playoffs I'll never know. We were a shambles.

Remember watching us lose 0-2 at home to Rotherham, makes the current season look like a golden era.

So watch it happen under the current regime!!!

I'm just putting the name out there, someone local with a connection to the club with a knowledge of the game. 

I just think the board needs a football person involved 

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

or worse

Does that mean we should just be grateful for having a football club. SL keeping on about the Promised Land without ever going through with it? We are therefore condemned to an eternal miserable future - yeah I know that's what following City is all about - we are all part of the problem then.

Hoping that an Alan Dicks turns up once every 100 years is not a basis for serious designs on the Premiership or whatever they will call it in the future "The Trumpianship" ????????

Going into a darkened room to have a lukewarm cydrax.

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

He's got millions and millions, he's wasted a lot of them on duff managers who weren't a threat to his control. 

He's a Financial Services expert not a football one. What we really need is a proven manager of the Neil Warnock ilke.

In the football world Bristol City are a small time club with a wealthy owner its been proven that City can't attract big time game changing players and likewise a proven quality manager, we end up with limited managers who can deal with League 1 football but have no idea when it comes to handling better players, game changing tactics substitutions ect.

Steve Lansdown has shed millions chasing the Prem dream and as pointed out its near on impossible to see anyone buying him out ,but his choice of managers has been abysmal appointing Lee Johnson in the 1st point yet alone extending his contract was madness and this current meltdown was predicted once he was appointed manager.

Its good to have a local guy in charge with a passion for the club no way do i want him gone but have some balls and sack Johnson and don't play out this latest cock up any longer. 

10 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Unbelievable Jeff!!

Without SL's backing this club at best would be a mid-table league 1 club in a run down stadium. 

Winterbourne - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that that's what we'll be next season at this rate, although instead of a run-down stadium read "brand spanking New half empty stadium." It's a distinct possibility, which is why I'm frustrated.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

He's a Financial Services expert not a football one. What we really need is a proven manager of the Neil Warnock ilke.

If LJ departs, the one I would go for is Mick McCarthy. Now had four years at Ipswich without any money to spend. They haven't troubled to top six much but neither do they ever look like bothering the bottom six. He would cost us, but would organise us into a stable unit that would stay up comfortably. and the nouse to spend SL's money sensibly and take us toward where we want to be.

Just now, cidered abroad said:

If LJ departs, the one I would go for is Mick McCarthy. Now had four years at Ipswich without any money to spend. They haven't troubled to top six much but neither do they ever look like bothering the bottom six. He would cost us, but would organise us into a stable unit that would stay up comfortably. and the nouse to spend SL's money sensibly and take us toward where we want to be.

We need experience. I would be tempted for us to seek an overseas coach. 

29 minutes ago, ernie goodthing said:

Turning the question round, will there ever be point where SL says enough is enough and either tries to sell the club or stops investing vast amounts to subsidise the club?   With the stadium and a few seasons of losses over £10m, his fantastic loyalty has cost him well over £100m.  Everyone says how wonderfully rich he is, but even for him this is not a small sum.   When does even a billionaire decide he has better ways to blow £10-15m every year? 

Who would be interested in taking over from SL though?

We now come as a package with the rugby.

If someone was just interested in buying either City or Bristol Rugby, then what would happen to the other club given that Bristol City no longer own the stadium as it belongs to Bristol Sport?

We could be in a very precarious position if he ever does decide to leave and sell up to someone whose interest is rugby and not football.

2 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Winterbourne - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that that's what we'll be next season at this rate, although instead of a run-down stadium read "brand spanking New half empty stadium." It's a distinct possibility, which is why I'm frustrated.

So we are not in the relegation spots in the league above but you're already suggesting that, should we even get relegated, we will be mid table in the league below. A position our neighbours who were non league 2 years ago occupy. Talk about hyperbole. Even if we look like going down we don't look mid table league one. Just as much as we don't look league table Prem. 

2 minutes ago, SouthBristolCityBhoy said:

Who would be interested in taking over from SL though?

We now come as a package with the rugby.

If someone was just interested in buying either City or Bristol Rugby, then what would happen to the other club given that Bristol City no longer own the stadium as it belongs to Bristol Sport?

We could be in a very precarious position if he ever does decide to leave and sell up to someone whose interest is rugby and not football.

Hardly. The sports are together under one umbrella; there's nothing to suggest either cannot be sold in isolation. 

If in my professional role I never worked on the sale of assets of one business to another or the sale of part of a business to another I'd probably be up the job centre. 

10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

You have just said something that hits the proverbial. Thankyou my friend. If he is a Financial expert why does he not hand over in Football matters to someone who knows the game instead of continually appointing duff football managers who do not threaten him. Give responsibility for getting to the Premiership to someone who has already done it. Amen.

Archived