IGNORED

Taxi for Lansdown and Ashton

WessexPest

Mark Ashton - three signings the first week of transfer deadline day in addition to a spate of signings in the summer and when first appointed. I admit too many young players were signed in the summer but all three january signings are undoubtedly upgrades to the squad and we are about to sign a goalkeeper with Bundesliga experience. What the Hell else do you want him to do?

SL - yes he had made mistakes. He has also made us into a championship level club with a bigger stadium than when he took over and, in recent years, massively improved our financial position and community engagement. Again, nobody is denying he has made mistakes but the list of football league club owners I would take over him is very short indeed.

Our problems start, continue and finish with our results and performances on the pitch. Nothing else. There is no terrible rotten heart of the club, no disaster behind the scenes - just bad results. Sadly those results probably mean the manager has to go. They do not mean there is a need for a complete excoriation of all associated with the club accompanied by a stubborn refusal to ackowledge the things the club are getting right. Of course results are the most important thing of all but knocking people doing their jobs well because of the person who is not is bizarre.

12 minutes ago, SilkyBCFC said:

To be fair let's give little Lee his 3rd transfer window as he has asked for and see where we are next Christmas I rate him and think he will take us on don't forget where he took us from last season and beginning of this season we are only loosing by the odd goal not getting destroyed by anyone good signs imho everyone will disagree with me but no one has destroyed us so I see that as positive I think keeper needs to change was disappointed with fielding today I think with a couple of tweaks we will climb the table it is close but there is definitely 3 teams worse than us, granted 2 of them won today but I think we will be safe quite easily

Wtf are you on tonight

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

So difficult to work with? Other than SC (in championship) or SOD tell me one manager who was not given a reasonable amount to spend? 

Jesus only Saturday we had Uwe Rossler praising our chairman for backing his manager, a few days ago Colin warnock, but clearly the Apeman from Azerbaijan knows the regime is difficult. 

AAis an idiot and knows nothing about football let's sack our manager and start again......fool let's see wat little Lee has to offer he will not take us down and wanted 3 windows so let's give it to him and our support it does not get u anywhere sacking the manager every year he needs time to do his thing be patient we will finish mid table which everyone said at the start of the season was there expectation only because we had such a good start everyone thought we were promotion material far from it we just got points on the board early (thank god!!!) stick by our team we will come good and be a lower premium team within 4 years I reckon (not European team as Johnson said!) but fair play to him dreaming I love the guy sorry rant over

11 minutes ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Seriously is the best you've got against some well made points.

Perhaps the smell is coming from your mouth 

Did you read AA's post? I'm certain he is a City fan but there definitely were not any well made points. Just unfocused scattergun blaming of everyone in sight and a spectacular absence of perspective.

40 minutes ago, Daniro said:

We've had SEVEN managers (or whatever they're called these days) since 2010 and it looks like we'll be getting another by the end of the season.

Whatever else he's done for the club SL surely would admit himself that his track record  picking managers is the worst in the league.   

I'm pretty sure last season Leeds were getting through 7 managers a week.

There can be know doubt SL`s management selection choices have been way off for many years now, however I have no belief that this will change next time so I believe he will stick with Lee to where-ever that takes us, this time.

We may stay up and be in no doubt we could drop down that may be decided by other teams performances not our own now. We are in disarray on the field and are faced with baffling team choices.........we will go where we will go and thus deserve to be at the end of the season.

I don't go with this belief that......our heads will fall off if SL does walkaway..........he wont because we moan, but will when he`s had enough.

Next 50yrs ? who knows prob just where we are now....the same as we were 50yrs ago.

Lansdown has to ditch his silly "Long term plan' bollocks, and it is absolute bollocks. It is all about short term and getting success. If you start trying to build a team the bigger clubs will tear it to shreds within a single transfer window.  If that means it is too hot in the kitchen then best look around to sell the club to someone who wants a play thing, or just admit that this club has no ambition. At least then us fans can accept what we are. If it's a yo-yo club then so be it. I don't want another bc1982fc, but at least just admit it too the fans so we can all be realistic about where this club is going!

2 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

The manager is merely a sideshow as far as I'm concerned - as long as the current regime is in place we will continue to round in circles.

Lansdown may not be short on a few quid but it takes more than that to run a football club competently, and he completely clueless. He's burned through managers like nobody's business - when it keeps ending in failure you need to look up the chain to see where the buck truly stops.

I'll get a lot of stick for this post, but I don't care one iota - I want BCFC to succeed and under SL I see us stuck in a yo-yoing rut at best.

"Alright then, AA - who have you got in mind to replace him?"

I don't know the answer to that question but look at the Scum - they were dissatisfied with Higgs and eventually someone came in; they seem happy with Al-Qadi even though he had no obvious connection with the club. City are a more tempting proposition than the Gas. I don't care if we are taken over by someone who has scrumpy running through his veins, I just want someone who can properly run our club.

By all means sack LJ - he's been found wanting at this level, but -oh! - where did we hear that before? Precisely a year ago.

Unforgivable. Lansdown - off you toddle and take Mark Ashton with you.

I haven't read any replies to this and don't intend to, idiot

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Surely you realise anyone that's been an owner as long as SL would have sacked around about the same amount of managers for failing - its not like managers are sacked for doing well and it's not like we sack more managers than everyone else.

Daniro beat me to it but that's not true; six managers in six years isn't normal by any yardstick. And more importantly it means there's no hope of any sort of continuity.

SL has a mixed track record of appointing managers, as does practically every other owner of a club in the country. You could rightly quote Liverpool 65-90, possibly even Swansea over the last 10 years as examples of clubs consistently getting appointments right, but I'd argue the reason they stick out is they are the exception to the rule. And the reason they have been successful is they had a 'philosophy' and stuck to it, which in turn created stability. Don't get me wrong, you can be successful sacking every 2 minutes, but I just don't think it builds anything that might last.

And on a general point I can think of a number of reasons why I hope SL is here long term. In particular these include either the past or present owners (or both) of Charlton, Leeds, Hull, Cardiff, Orient, Exeter, the original Wimbledon, Newcastle, Brum, QPR, Blackburn, Bolton, Pompey, Blackpool or Hereford.

51 minutes ago, cynic said:

Sorry to respond to your response to the bloke who said SL has the worst record re managers, but I couldn't be arsed to find his post.

92 clubs, and SL has the worst record ?

There's nothing like a sense of perspective - and thats nothing like it.

Again - spat his dummy out because we are losing games, someone has to pay for his frustration and anger, may as well be SL...

Laughable really, looking at the immature postings tonight but I suppose people deal with disappointment in their own way. 

Here's to another 16 years!

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

So we are not in the relegation spots in the league above but you're already suggesting that, should we even get relegated, we will be mid table in the league below. A position our neighbours who were non league 2 years ago occupy. Talk about hyperbole. Even if we look like going down we don't look mid table league one. Just as much as we don't look league table Prem. 

1. We are sinking like a stone and if our abysmal run isn't relegation form then I don't know what is.

2. Maybe we will turn it around again, but will we find ourselves in exactly the same predicament again 12 months down the road? And if, we are, will we go for the short-term fix yet again?

3. What I'm saying isn't hyperbole but has the support of historical precedent - when we've been relegated in the past (and once again I maintain that sadly that seems a strong possibility) we've typically struggled in our first season back at the third tier - the 80s, 95/96, 99/00, 13/14.

3 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

1. We are sinking like a stone and if our abysmal run isn't relegation form then I don't know what is.

2. Maybe we will turn it around again, but will we find ourselves in exactly the same predicament again 12 months down the road? And if, we are, will we go for the short-term fix yet again?

3. What I'm saying isn't hyperbole but has the support of historical precedent - when we've been relegated in the past (and once again I maintain that sadly that seems a strong possibility) we've typically struggled in our first season back at the third tier - the 80s, 95/96, 99/00, 13/14.

1) it is. Never claimed otherwise. But form is temporal, hence why despite abjectness recently we are still not in the relegation spots. I would not extrapolate form. 

2) I'm no clairvoyant. I don't think so because we've bought players with room for improvement. Why do you think we will, if you do? 

3) History is a precursor for absolutely nothing. You can learn from your mistakes but history does not determine that you will repeat them. 

3 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

The manager is merely a sideshow as far as I'm concerned - as long as the current regime is in place we will continue to round in circles.

Lansdown may not be short on a few quid but it takes more than that to run a football club competently, and he completely clueless. He's burned through managers like nobody's business - when it keeps ending in failure you need to look up the chain to see where the buck truly stops.

I'll get a lot of stick for this post, but I don't care one iota - I want BCFC to succeed and under SL I see us stuck in a yo-yoing rut at best.

I don't know the answer to that question but look at the Scum - they were dissatisfied with Higgs and eventually someone came in; they seem happy with Al-Qadi even though he had no obvious connection with the club. City are a more tempting proposition than the Gas. I don't care if we are taken over by someone who has scrumpy running through his veins, I just want someone who can properly run our club.

By all means sack LJ - he's been found wanting at this level, but -oh! - where did we hear that before? Precisely a year ago.

I'd agree with most of this post but I think MA is beneficial to this club.

In terms of SL, we haven't progressed on the pitch from when he took over really.... I think this plan is great but its years too late. Plus he has spent a fortune in the process of achieving pretty much zip.

His heart is in the right place and he has done a great job in terms of infrastructure (Training ground & Academy) but its been poorly utilised by previous managers which he has appointed and at least think he is also culpable for the mediocrity for the best part of 2 decades.

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Wish we could go and get Pardew, he would be a revalation at this level.  However it would cost a fortune to hire him, a fortune to hire his backroom staff, a fortune to pay off lee and his coaching staff and another fortune to give the new manager the support he would demand in the transfer market.

So while SL may have deep pockets, it's most unlikely he will want to go down that route on top of what he has already spent this season.

Really? I'd hate the idea of Pardew as our manager. He's the classic "great first season, shocking nose dive" manager, with naive attacking tactics, an annoying personality and liable to bust-ups. Plus that dance. THAT FA Cup final dance.

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Can you suggest who would put the community first and pump loads of cash in without wanting it back?

Answers on a postcard. 

Has he gifted the cash?

No.

It is in the form of loans owed to Steve and shares owned by Steve, underpinned by a stadium which Steve now owns that until recently had a very different ownership.

Not only that but there is a school of thought, which I am in, that SL has created a lot of the debt to himself with bad decisions.

For over 100 years Bristol City did exactly what it is doing now, and no doubt, subject to the above, will continue to do so for a 100 years after Steve is gone.

Not saying that SL is bad news, other than his ability to identify a decent manager, but the notion where would we be without him is ridiculous. We are Bristol, one of the largest cities in the country, are you seriously suggesting Bristol City would have been much different without SL?

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Also football manager appointments are not an exact science or even an inexact one. Last January we all wanted Pearson. He ended up going to Derby and being an utter disaster. We are far from the only club who has made appointments that have not worked out. 

Every team that doesn't finish top half I feel there management appointment has not worked out so about half teams in this league then give Lee a chance

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

The man who played Chris Wood left wing; signed Jody Morris, Richard Foster, he had enough...

Not in comparison to LJ. DMc was working under the new model of financial prudence. LJ has not had that handicap and has lost 7 on the bounce in the league, I think LJ has had enough.....

3 hours ago, SilkyBCFC said:

AAis an idiot and knows nothing about football let's sack our manager and start again......fool let's see wat little Lee has to offer he will not take us down and wanted 3 windows so let's give it to him and our support it does not get u anywhere sacking the manager every year he needs time to do his thing be patient we will finish mid table which everyone said at the start of the season was there expectation only because we had such a good start everyone thought we were promotion material far from it we just got points on the board early (thank god!!!) stick by our team we will come good and be a lower premium team within 4 years I reckon (not European team as Johnson said!) but fair play to him dreaming I love the guy sorry rant over

You call me an idiot and say I know nothing about football, then post that grammar-free rant completely misrepresenting what I said and blithely predict we will be in the top flight within four years? 

My whole point was that the problems at our club run way deeper than LJ; he's been found wanting at this level but that seems to keep happening so perhaps it's time to look for answers elsewhere. 

I don't think we have a divine right to be in the Prem, but considering the resources we have at our disposal I do expect us to be at least keeping our head above water in this division. It's the lack of progress and sense of deja vu that makes me reserve my ire for the owners.

Two clubs I admire for what they've achieved are Brighton and Bournemouth. For a long time both were at the same level as us, but both have kicked on. Two decades ago Bournemouth came to AG and it was possibly going to be their last game, Brighton went to Hereford fighting to stay in the FL - now look at them.

Very frustrating.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Has he gifted the cash?

No.

It is in the form of loans owed to Steve and shares owned by Steve, underpinned by a stadium which Steve now owns that until recently had a very different ownership.

Not only that but there is a school of thought, which I am in, that SL has created a lot of the debt to himself with bad decisions.

For over 100 years Bristol City did exactly what it is doing now, and no doubt, subject to the above, will continue to do so for a 100 years after Steve is gone.

Not saying that SL is bad news, other than his ability to identify a decent manager, but the notion where would we be without him is ridiculous. We are Bristol, one of the largest cities in the country, are you seriously suggesting Bristol City would have been much different without SL?

Nick I think you're guilty of looking too simplistically. He's accrued debt quite possibly to protect his income tax position whilst in the uk, out of it and should he return. I would wager  a hefty amount tax advisors and accountants have designed how his cash input is recorded and received. 

3 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Daniro beat me to it but that's not true; six managers in six years isn't normal by any yardstick. And more importantly it means there's no hope of any sort of continuity.

Can you explain that for me because by my reckoning we have 4 managers since Oct 2011, 6 since 2010 (including Mr cop-out) or 7 in the last 12 years.

GJ - 2005

SC - 2010 I wouldn't normally add but I thought I would be generous.

KM - 2010

DM - 2011

SOD - 2013

SC - 2013

LJ - 2016

7 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

A question is posed, an inconclusive answer is given, but maybe we should take a leaf out of Rovers grand plan.

Says it all.

Archived