IGNORED

A time to remember

WTFiGO!?!

Umm, seem to vaguely remember something a bit exciting happening one Tuesday night vs Portsmouth around the mid-seventies. Somehow a few of us (probably a million or so at least) found ourselves on the pitch looking up into the Grandstand cheering some old fella called Harry and some other blokes...

This pic seems to ring a bell, but I dunno, 'twas yonks ago, seem like a lifetime...

dcd.jpg

Best footballing day of my life 27th December 2001, Cardiff city 1 Bristol city 3. 

Loved it for many reasons. I hate Cardiff, the atmosphere was the most intense I've ever watched city play in, build up pre match was amazing was with all my mates and it was the day I realised that was the day as a17 year old that I couldn't live without bristol city!! 

The whole of extra time against Palace in the second leg of the play off semi-final in 2008. The atmosphere was intense and when Trundle scored a pearler followed by McIndoe's long range free kick Ashton Gate just went mental and the loudest I have ever heard it!

Getting one over Warnock never felt so sweet. And he couldn't even blame the ref (Howard Webb) as they missed a penalty in normal time...

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Umm, seem to vaguely remember something a bit exciting happening one Tuesday night vs Portsmouth around the mid-seventies. Somehow a few of us (probably a million or so at least) found ourselves on the pitch looking up into the Grandstand cheering some old fella called Harry and some other blokes...

This pic seems to ring a bell, but I dunno, 'twas yonks ago, seem like a lifetime...

dcd.jpg

Exactly this I was one of those millions on the pitch, a great time to be a fan and loved going to football back then, saluting  a great team/squad and manager who cared for our club and still do.......unlike some of todays ilk who are only here for the money/pay cheque.

21 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Exactly this I was one of those millions on the pitch, a great time to be a fan and loved going to football back then, saluting  a great team/squad and manager who cared for our club and still do.......unlike some of todays ilk who are only here for the money/pay cheque.

Me too.

3 hours ago, swanker said:

Louis Donawa scoring the winner against Rovers was pretty good. Also beating Hereford in the semi final at Ashton Gate was something special back in the day.  A day out at Wembley was a big deal back then. 

It sure was I was 14 and BCFC we're on the way to Wembley. So excited we slept at AG in my mates Dad's van (Along with 100's of others camping) it was crazy

After picking up the trophy we were allowed a few sherbets and cans so can't remember postmatch.

At my worst for plenty of lively games against, The Gas, Swindon, Millwall, Oxford, Villa, Most Anglo Welsh & West Ham to name just a few

Good times - COYR

41 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

This was great night, although after scoring early it was a nervous occasion! For sheer intensity it just has to be the Hartlepool game.

League Cup Quarter Final 1989 away at Bradford City midweek - we scored in the first minute, absolute bedlam. We had seven matches in January 1989 (including three Cup games) - we lost the other six, including 0-1 at home to the gas, but this little nugget was buried in the middle of them!

FA Cup 2nd Round 1983 away at Rovers - Martyn Hirst, absolute bedlam! We were on our way back!

Has to be Liverpool home 38,000 plus, another 10,000 locked out, have to win to have any hope of staying up.

Liverpool already league Champions and were 1/0 down.

Two Garland goals (both diving headers from Whitehead crosses I think? or I may be loosing it!!)

The whole ground going mental. all singing City,City,City  in unison is something ill never forget.

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The whole of extra time against Palace in the second leg of the play off semi-final in 2008. The atmosphere was intense and when Trundle scored a pearler followed by McIndoe's long range free kick Ashton Gate just went mental and the loudest I have ever heard it!

Getting one over Warnock never felt so sweet. And he couldn't even blame the ref (Howard Webb) as they missed a penalty in normal time...

This plus Noble's absolute screamer in the first leg!!

I don't know why this one has always stuck out for me but it was the 26th of December 1998. We were at home to Milwall. Earlier in the season we had gone on a good run after anthe up and down start but when we moved into 2nd we were still 10 points behind Watford. A couple of pundits had said we would never close that gap. 

Just before half time against Milwall, Rob Edwards had scored from a header and I think we were 2-1 or 2-0 up. The word filtered around that Watford were a goal down and we'd just gone top of the league. The place went mental and for the rest of the match the atmosphere was brilliant. The game ended 4-1 to us. 

4 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I don't know why this one has always stuck out for me but it was the 26th of December 1998. We were at home to Milwall. Earlier in the season we had gone on a good run after anthe up and down start but when we moved into 2nd we were still 10 points behind Watford. A couple of pundits had said we would never close that gap. 

Just before half time against Milwall, Rob Edwards had scored from a header and I think we were 2-1 or 2-0 up. The word filtered around that Watford were a goal down and we'd just gone top of the league. The place went mental and for the rest of the match the atmosphere was brilliant. The game ended 4-1 to us. 

Remember that game.We were coming up from Devon Me my mate and our sons.

Went to pick him up and he's laid on the floor with his back F.....

So took the two boys up, and was it Mickey Bell that curled the free kick into the top corner at the Atyeo end or Tinman?

Swindon in the 80's.

I hate that horrible scummy town and club (had to live there for 3 years...shudder)

Just before the game where trouble flared all afternoon, I was in the public bogs on way to ground on my own - 3 swindle came in and one lad thumped me twice in the back of the head while I was having a slash. My mates were about 20m away down the road and were in no position to help.

The arseholes ran out straight after hitting me.

Karma - about 1 hr after the game we saw this bloke coming out of a chippy - it did not end well for him.  I've never really got 'stuck in' viciously at football, but this coward had it coming (and it was one on one, my mates were told to stay out of it unless more Swindon turned up).

I'm embarrassed now, but at the time gave me great satisfaction, especially as one-on-one he wasn't as 'tough' as he was 3 on 1 earlier.

Archived