IGNORED

All those anti-Lansdown people......

Tipps69

How many of you have actually met the man & actually talked to him about Bristol City Football Club?

The reason I ask is because for those that have will instantly recognise the passion he has for the football club & how desperate he is for success both on & off the pitch & to make our club something to be available to follow for generations to come.

For all those that question his passion & support, if it wasn't for SL, we could quite possibly not have a club to follow right now & the very fact that he has openly admitted that he questions himself with regards to continuing to do what he does for our club is very worrying, personally!!

We could be left in the hands of someone with a lot less financial clout or in the hands of a foreign owner who doesn't know or care about what Bristol City Football Club means to so many people in the past & the future to come & that isn't something that I wish to look forward to!!

Mr Lansdown has put an astronomical amount of money into Bristol City, far more than anyone else has shown a potential to do, there could be a huge lack of future transfers of players coming into the club, the club has been losing money hand over fist for many years now & it is down to SL that he has managed to take on those losses & to still fork out millions on trying to improve the playing squad let alone what he has done for the behind the scenes of the club.

While we may all feel like we could do better, until you are prepared to put millions of your own money into a loss making venture, I'm afraid you just have to trust the person that is willing & able to do such a thing.

And let's not forget, he doesn't have to do this, he undoubtedly has plenty of people & business that want his money. He has a family that he could just allow all his money to go to in the future, we aren't taking peanuts here, we are talking money that 99% of us could only dream about ever seeing & I've no doubt that all of our first priorities would be to make sure our family are taken care of for many years to come!!

Some of the things aimed at SL over these last few weeks have been embarrassing & people need to get a grip on reality & put things into proper perspective.

It wasn't so long ago that the club was in a real mess & ran a real risk of no longer being here for any of us to follow & without an SL at the helm, that possibility could become reality & then you'll really have a reason to worry because I don't know anyone with the disposable income available to carry on funding the club we love & without that, there is a real risk of there being no more Bristol City.

Please, just remember that if we didn't have SL doing what he does for our football club, there is no knowing where we could be & personally it doesn't bare thinking about because life (in football perspective) could be a hell of a lot worse.

Just be careful what you wish for because there are a lot worse places to be right now!!

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It wasn't so long ago that the club was in a real mess & ran a real risk of no longer being here for any of us to follow & without an SL at the helm, that possibility could become reality & then you'll really have a reason to worry because I don't know anyone with the disposable income available to carry on funding the club we love & without that, there is a real risk of there being no more Bristol City.

Could you explain why with Mr Lansdown at the helm the FC was at risk?

10 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

How many of you have actually met the man & actually talked to him about Bristol City Football Club?

The reason I ask is because for those that have will instantly recognise the passion he has for the football club & how desperate he is for success both on & off the pitch & to make our club something to be available to follow for generations to come.

For all those that question his passion & support, if it wasn't for SL, we could quite possibly not have a club to follow right now & the very fact that he has openly admitted that he questions himself with regards to continuing to do what he does for our club is very worrying, personally!!

We could be left in the hands of someone with a lot less financial clout or in the hands of a foreign owner who doesn't know or care about what Bristol City Football Club means to so many people in the past & the future to come & that isn't something that I wish to look forward to!!

Mr Lansdown has put an astronomical amount of money into Bristol City, far more than anyone else has shown a potential to do, there could be a huge lack of future transfers of players coming into the club, the club has been losing money hand over fist for many years now & it is down to SL that he has managed to take on those losses & to still fork out millions on trying to improve the playing squad let alone what he has done for the behind the scenes of the club.

While we may all feel like we could do better, until you are prepared to put millions of your own money into a loss making venture, I'm afraid you just have to trust the person that is willing & able to do such a thing.

And let's not forget, he doesn't have to do this, he undoubtedly has plenty of people & business that want his money. He has a family that he could just allow all his money to go to in the future, we aren't taking peanuts here, we are talking money that 99% of us could only dream about ever seeing & I've no doubt that all of our first priorities would be to make sure our family are taken care of for many years to come!!

Some of the things aimed at SL over these last few weeks have been embarrassing & people need to get a grip on reality & put things into proper perspective.

Please, just remember that if we didn't have SL doing what he does for our football club, there is no knowing where we could be & personally it doesn't bare thinking about because life (in football perspective) could be a hell of a lot worse.

Just be careful what you wish for because there are a lot worse places to be right now!!

How many people have met Neil Warnock?

I'm not 'anti Lansdown' and I don't think many people are. I don't doubt that he does what he genuinely thinks is right for the club. I also don't doubt his passion and desire to see us be successful. I know he's pumped millions in to try and bring that about. 

However, I cannot believe how stubborn he's being regarding the LJ issue. It's absolute footballing suicide. I've said for weeks that if Johnson doesn't go I think we'll go down and I'm more certain than ever of that after that fiasco the other night. I actually think we'll struggle to stay up now regardless of whether we make a change, such is the mess we're now in. If we do get relegated, it will be down to SL more than anyone else in my opinion. 

Its a genuinely unbelievable situation. 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Could you explain why with Mr Lansdown at the helm the FC was at risk?

You've read what I've said wrong.

What I have said is that it wasn't so long ago that we ran a risk of losing the club. And without an SL (type of person) we could quite easily find ourselves back in that position of the early 1980's. 

I'm definitely not anti SL at all 

But in balance you omitted to raise the issue that the reason he's spent a fair whack of that money was through poor / ill judged decisions 

Appointment of poor managers and the cost of sacking & replacing them

Overpaying players (We had a reputation as a joke across football for doing so a few years ago)

So yes he has put a large amount of money into the club but at least some of that is down to his poor decisions

5 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What I have said is that it wasn't so long ago that we ran a risk of losing the club. And without an SL (type of person) we could quite easily find ourselves back in that position of the early 1980's. 

Sorry but - No you didn't - you said

' if  it wasn't for SL, we could quite possibly not have a club to follow right now '

It's a sad state of affairs. I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I'm angry that we are currently going through what we are, but I think it's being over taken by sadness. You're right, SL has done so much for the club we love. We are secure, we have a lovely ground and training facilities but, and it's a big but, what have we achieved on the pitch under his ownership? We are in the same position as when he took over, and for all his money it doesn't look like improving anytime soon. 

I'm far from wanting a new owner, in many aspects we are very lucky to have him. His heart is in the right place but I don't think he fully knows how to run a football club. This wouldn't be such a problem if he hired the right people to help him along the way, but history shows he can't do that too well.

As I said, it's quite sad, and it's not for a lack of trying.

I feel like bursting out a rendition of Drink up thy Cider. Wish I was going tomorrow now.

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Mr Lansdown has taken steps to avoid hostile take overs and says he would not put the FC at risk.

Why are you doubting his sincerity?

I may think BS is unnecessary bollocks, dislike other aspects of the way BCFC is run but I have no doubt that Mr Lansdown would not risk the loss of BCFC.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Who's anti Lansdown?

I don't want him to leave but have just accepted the last 10 years have been a footballing failure.

Do you disagree? 

I guess it all depends on what you describe as success?

Would you be happy being in Blackpool's, Portsmouth's, Chartlton's or Coventry's position? A recent past of being in The Premier League but now struggling? Wigan could also go into that list.

SL wants success for the football club & he's backed that wish with his own money & lots of it.

People saying they've got no respect for the man is an insult & it's those sort of comments that could push him away from the club because I've no doubt he could find many better ways to spend his fortune.

12 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I have met him on two or the occasions and have talked football.. and BS. I totally agree with the above comments and I don't think many posters on OTIB know or understand his commitment. 

He expects his "Team" to give 150% 24x7  if required, nothing less as he would do and is loyal to his team as long as they give him that. Please don't surmise his thoughts unless you are advised by him as it is "my bat, my ball" he is in charge..

I hope he will still support BCFC in the long term as  has been said his money has sustained us. SL always has a Plan B Just wait and see...

Really? We all need to shut up and know our places because St. Steve has more money than we do?

Listen mate, due to dramatic change of personal circumstances I've had to scrape together the money to pay for my season ticket over the past few years - it's my single biggest annual personal outgoing. If I want to complain about Lee Johnson, Steve Lansdown or anyone else currently involved in turning the club I've supported for thirty years into a laughing stock, then I'll do it regardless of what you think.

Lansdown may have good business sense, but he's been responsible for appointing some real disasters as City manager. Maybe this time he's learned a lesson, but I very much doubt it. 

I went to the Q&A session at Forest last season and briefly spoke to him afterwards. I was very impressed with not only his knowledge of BCFC but also his honesty in answering the questions. I find the current situation sad for both us the fans and him.

SL is only one member of the board (although obviously the main man) and I find the lack of comment from any of the others both worrying and does not help SL. Can they not step up and face the music.

bring in a proper board that can offer some alternative perspective and provide a credible voice to help balance decision making and we can start taking it a bit more seriously.

Steve Lansdown has created a fiefdom at BCFC, over many many years.

From devaluing the share position of everyone else way back when, to installing a puppet as chairman and his son as some kind of proxy.

All this stuff about 'we wouldn't exist without him' is in my opinion, nonsense. most of the debt has been accrued on his watch, firstly as finance director, then as chairman.

He has single handedly overseen some shockingly poor appointments which in turn have inflicted even more debt on the club.

Now would I rather have a Tan or a Lansdown as chairman? well that's obvious, but please lets not pretend we all need to doff our caps regardless of what goes on.

His video today was shockingly out of touch and to imply the fans are wrong to get on LJ's case after the woeful run of form he has overseen is naive at best.

i don't doubt his commitment. I question his choices.

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I guess it all depends on what you describe as success?

Would you be happy being in Blackpool's, Portsmouth's, Chartlton's or Coventry's position? A recent past of being in The Premier League but now struggling? Wigan could also go into that list.

SL wants success for the football club & he's backed that wish with his own money & lots of it.

People saying they've got no respect for the man is an insult & it's those sort of comments that could push him away from the club because I've no doubt he could find many better ways to spend his fortune.

I respect him and there is no success to speak of.

He is the richest English man involved in Football and his CV is Bristol City.

I think you agree, but are confusing the footballing facts for personal slights.

Again, I respect the man and do not want him to leave but it's been a footballing failure.

If we play Rovers in the league next year and have nothing, nothing of note whatsoever to show for his billions, what has been the point?

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'm definitely not anti SL at all 

But in balance you omitted to raise the issue that the reason he's spent a fair whack of that money was through poor / ill judged decisions 

Appointment of poor managers and the cost of sacking & replacing them

Overpaying players (We had a reputation across football for doing so a few years ago)

So yes he has put a large amount of money into the club but at least some of that is down to his poor decisions

Oh I agree, he's been at fault, I was a big critic back in 2008 when in the January when we were in a very good position I felt that as a club we should of pushed the boat out & spent with an eye for what looked like being our best chance at making it.

We should of invested in a couple of £3m+ signings in crucial positions, in the hope of getting us over the line but instead went for old has beens who offered us little in the way of progression in the short term future.

And we then paid for it as we had to clear all the overpaid dead wood out of the club & that put us back many years.

But for some of the comments & posts that have been made on here could force him to think twice (or probably more) about where he spends his millions.

I think there's a level that has been overstepped & hearing SL state that it does make him think twice is a worry for the clubs future.

If he had stopped financing things at the club, I could maybe understand the frustrations but he hasn't & continues to pump millions into the club without ever once saying he wants a repayment back.

I just wish people would think before they hammer someone, especially when that person has done so much for OUR club.

I think "we" are arguing the wrong point again.  You don't have to meet him (I have spoken to him a couple of times though) to know what he feels for this club.

i'm definitely not anti-Lansdiwn, we should be grateful for what he's done.  Each of us will be grateful to different extents, depending on our views.  I respect the bloke for what he's done, but he's not beyond any criticism either.

Personally, I think he's made the wrong decision at this juncture with LJ, but he has made a decision....to back him.  I give him credit for that, even if I disagree.  I don't go bashing someone because they have an opposing view.  I didn't like his comments re the fans booing on Wednesday.  But if that's his he wants to deflect what's going on that's his prerogative. We don't have to trust him....just because of what he's done.  As it happens I think he's trustworthy.

I do think you are trying to say that anyone who had a view opposed to yours in your OP is wrong, and if you've not met him you can't know him type stuff.  I think that's a provocative post...and yes, maybe that's what's forums are about.  But be prepared to be challenged.  Both those in favour of SL and those anti-Sl will have sound reasons for their view.

From a Footballing point of view I don't care too much about SL.  I'm more worried about LJ and the players, with perhaps a little concern about Mark Ashton and what he's thinking.  He looks after the Football side?

12 minutes ago, Mighty Squirrel Kingdom said:

Really? We all need to shut up and know our places because St. Steve has more money than we do?

Listen mate, due to dramatic change of personal circumstances I've had to scrape together the money to pay for my season ticket over the past few years - it's my single biggest annual personal outgoing. If I want to complain about Lee Johnson, Steve Lansdown or anyone else currently involved in turning the club I've supported for thirty years into a laughing stock, then I'll do it regardless of what you think.

Lansdown may have good business sense, but he's been responsible for appointing some real disasters as City manager. Maybe this time he's learned a lesson, but I very much doubt it. 

Completely valid opinion.

I'm not hammering him personally. As stated I don't doubt his commitment. He seems like a top man and I've no doubt he loves the club. 

However I don't think his decision making should be beyond question because he's pumped millions into the club. Especially when that decision making is as baffling as it has been of late. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think "we" are arguing the wrong point again.  You don't have to meet him (I have spoken to him a couple of times though) to know what he feels for this club.

i'm definitely not anti-Lansdiwn, we should be grateful for what he's done.  Each of us will be grateful to different extents, depending on our views.  I respect the bloke for what he's done, but he's not beyond any criticism either.

Personally, I think he's made the wrong decision at this juncture with LJ, but he has made a decision....to back him.  I give him credit for that, even if I disagree.  I don't go bashing someone because they have an opposing view.  I didn't like his comments re the fans booing on Wednesday.  But if that's his he wants to deflect what's going on that's his prerogative. We don't have to trust him....just because of what he's done.  As it happens I think he's trustworthy.

I do think you are trying to say that anyone who had a view opposed to yours in your OP is wrong, and if you've not met him you can't know him type stuff.  I think that's a provocative post...and yes, maybe that's what's forums are about.  But be prepared to be challenged.  Both those in favour of SL and those anti-Sl will have sound reasons for their view.

From a Footballing point of view I don't care too much about SL.  I'm more worried about LJ and the players, with perhaps a little concern about Mark Ashton and what he's thinking.  He looks after the Football side?

Good point raised Dave

Prior to MA the reason given for SLs many mistakes was he wasn't a football man, didn't understand the world of football and we appeared to,cry out for a Football knowledgable advisor / DoF 

When MA was appointed it appeared (And the direct message was) that MA would oversee / run the football side

The appointment of LJ was the first major warning - MAs appointment ? - Never in a million years

So the question remains , despite MAs appointment who is making the major footballing decisions 

That I would suggest is a concern

If I had SLs wealth and fancied buying a F1 racing team (Which I know little / nothing about) I'd spend my biggest wage on the best qualified person in that world (That I could get)  to advise me / run the actual racing  team

22 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Lansdown has taken steps to avoid hostile take overs and says he would not put the FC at risk.

Why are you doubting his sincerity?

I may think BS is unnecessary bollocks, dislike other aspects of the way BCFC is run but I have no doubt that Mr Lansdown would not risk the loss of BCFC.

Having seen today's interview in full, he has questioned his own position.

If he decides he's had enough of all the criticism & wants out, there's no knowing who he could hand things over to.

I'm actually starting to think that his involvement in Bristol Sport is what's keeping him at the club, it's got to big for him to walk away from.

15 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think you agree, but are confusing the footballing facts for personal slights.

Again, I respect the man and do not want him to leave but it's been a footballing failure.

If we play Rovers in the league next year and have nothing, nothing of note whatsoever to show for his billions, what has been the point?

But where could we be without his input? If all this money has got us nowhere?

We'd be even further down the football pyramid (in all likelihood).

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But where could we be without his input? If all this money has got us nowhere?

We'd be even further down the football pyramid (in all likelihood).

I'd say the odds would be Tipps (and any of us can only guess) but I'm not sure we'd be a million miles from where we are now 

What I would say is we wouldn't have a really decent stadium that should serve us well for years to come and be a big help,with revenue streams - Great from SL here , and very sensible as I think he wants to leave a legacy and he's ensured that

Purely for balance we could have appointed the right manager at any time since we had JJ in 1990 who could have taken us into the Prem (Especially back when it was a flatter playing field in Championship) and our stature and wealth would / could have been established from that - it's all conjecture , of course but was perfectly feasible

54 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I  like all fans, I hope, acknowledge what he has done for City and his passion for the club. But this cap doffing approach when he has screwed up repeatedly on picking sub standard managers I cannot accept or understand.

53 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Who's anti Lansdown?

I don't want him to leave but have just accepted the last 10 years have been a footballing failure.

Do you disagree? 

In the past 10 years we've been promoted twice, won a cup, won a league and got a game from the Premier League. You could have helped yourself by picking a timespan to better back-up your point pal.

We're not a lot further forward than we were 10 years ago, but by definition neither are a lot of clubs.

SL is as much to blame for our consistent inconsistency as anyone else, but unless you really miss: the taste of Bovril, a youth academy which until Bryan & Reid came along hadn't procured anyone of note for a good few years and enjoyed missing parts of the game because you were stuck behind a pillar, things are undeniably better long-term.

28 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I'm as pd off as anybody 054123 but what we will have is a cracking stadium with the benefits (Revenue streams etc) that it brings so 'we' will have something to show for it and should reap the benefits for years to come

:thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But some of the personal insults that are aimed at him are in my opinion out of order & anyone who has ever met & spoke to the bloke will undoubtedly notice his passion for all things Bristol City & now sport.

No one, except those very high up in the Club will know who has & hasn't been approached over the years to take charge of the football club, the same goes for players that may or may not of been approached to play for us.

But one thing is for sure, SL wouldn't allow just anyone to fritter his money away.

He's clearly someone who puts a great deal of trust into people he hires & I think he's got to that stage where he feels he has to show just how much he trusts LJ.

In literally a year, we have gone from the vast majority being very happy with the appointment of LJ & MA (given a few months) & being very happy with all the players that were signed (even into this January) to now people wanting LJ, MA & to some extremes even wanting SL out.

I'm not sure how or why MA has been dragged into this as when all the players were signed, everyone was happy. No one could tell that LT & AM would be such big flops on the back of successful loans but if we hadn't of signed them then LJ & MA would be getting grief for not signing them.

The trouble is, hindsight is a wonderful thing & everyone can question why we signed a,b & c? And why we didn't we sign d,e & f.

SL has done his part of the deal, he has stumped up the vast fortune over the years, he has been let down by any combination of things but luckily for us he sticks with it & continues to fund the club.

It was mentioned in his interview tonight, getting rid of LJ now will put the club back years & it seems like to me he is hoping beyond hope that we manage to finish 21st or better & then he can re-evaluate with more time to decide on what actions to take.

That would be seen as failure in the majority of our eyes but none of us know what targets were set before the season started & maybe that's why LJ is still in a job, if his target was to avoid relegation?!?

Maybe naively SL is expecting fans to back the players no matter what during the games, in the real world that isn't going to happen & maybe that's why fans & the club see things differently?

Archived