IGNORED

THIS TIME NEXT YEAR THERE WILL BE JUST ONE TEAM IN BRISTOL

Jurassic

On 3/14/2017 at 16:12, Jurassic said:

This is how it's going to pan out................City relegated, Rovers miss out on playoffs. Secret talks held and SL announces Rovers and City to merge under the Bristol Sport banner. New name will be AFC Bristol. Team to play at Ashton Gate. LJ director of football with Hollowhead brought in as head coach. Could happen.........take a look at Rover's facebook page; almost identical to City's. The merger has already started in secret.

As a Swindon fan as long as Power is at the club I can see supermarine being the only club left here but if there was a merger in Bristol there would be anarchy across the city!!

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 09:40, 22A said:

Meanwhile in Paris (on SSN this morning) a precedent is being set. The owner of Stade Francais rugby team has announced he intends to merge with arch rivals Racing 92 so as to create one massive, strong team. The Stade players have gone on strike in protest.

Due to opposition from players and fans alike, that merger has been cancelled.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 16:35, pongo88 said:

Elvis Presley will be rescued from the moon to become chief scout. 

Thats ridiculous......it would be like the manager employing his brother to be Chief scout. Would never happen....oh hang on:mf_sleep:

34 minutes ago, Linkedarm wall said:

.......AFC Bristol could play in blue and red stripes like Barcelona to 'merge' the colours as well. Then SL would be able to say that Bristol Sport was modeled on Barcelona........ ahhh, hang on a minute:blink:

Apparently it's exactly the same model according to some posters. :facepalm:

On 3/14/2017 at 16:12, Jurassic said:

This is how it's going to pan out................City relegated, Rovers miss out on playoffs. Secret talks held and SL announces Rovers and City to merge under the Bristol Sport banner. New name will be AFC Bristol. Team to play at Ashton Gate. LJ director of football with Hollowhead brought in as head coach. Could happen.........take a look at Rover's facebook page; almost identical to City's. The merger has already started in secret.

Could happen? Yes in statistics there is no such thing as zero probability so yes it could. People could arrive from another planet in the next 5 minutes or we could be visited by our future selves, I wouldn't money on either of these events either.

On 3/14/2017 at 16:24, Jurassic said:

IT's not as far fetched as you may think and inside information says this was always SL's objective.

There is "insider information" and YOU are privvy to it? See above for my thoughts on the statistical probabilities involved.... 

By the way, as you apparently frequent the "facebook pages" Kachina doesn't count as "insider information" more like "toomuchcider information". 

It is not too far fetched as it sounds by the open post. We have to remember when we were looking for a new ground for our new stadium there were plans to share with rovers and the rugby club, okay we got the rugby but just thank our lucky stars all these other sites fell through, who knows what might have happened. The other sites were hengrove park, of course ashton vale and severnside. I couldn't ever see rovers coming to the south of bristol but if severnside happened who knows... Perhaps all 3 clubs could have merged to form some kind of Aussie rules football. Okay back to the real world now. 

Want some real inside info?  Well I raised this with Steve not long after he became chairman and his reply was "It'll never happen".

So i'm sure it wasnt his intention to merge the clubs then, though circumstances and motivation can change over the years, I think a merger most unlikely. He has never indicated such a desire, though I understand he was a gas fan in his youth and only saw the light when Jon supported City (So maybe we have more to thank Jon for than we think).

8 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

It is not too far fetched as it sounds by the open post. We have to remember when we were looking for a new ground for our new stadium there were plans to share with rovers and the rugby club, okay we got the rugby but just thank our lucky stars all these other sites fell through, who knows what might have happened. The other sites were hengrove park, of course ashton vale and severnside. I couldn't ever see rovers coming to the south of bristol but if severnside happened who knows... Perhaps all 3 clubs could have merged to form some kind of Aussie rules football. Okay back to the real world now. 

As I remember it, the council or at least some of the local politicos were the ones suggesting one stadium for all, as a requisite for planning permission. I am sure the squatters would have been up for it; if SL was paying for it of course, but I don't remember any statement suggesting Bristol Sport were interested. 

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

We have seen clubs relocate, rebrand etc... but when was the last time something like this happened in modern day football?

I don't think things like this happen...

It came close about thirty years ago. One of the then, owners wanted to merge Reading with Oxford. The planning was fairly advanced. Oxford were fighting relegation, so it was agreed the new team would play in whichever division Reading were in. The name would be Thames Valley Royals. Most games would be played at Reading, but every fourth match would be staged at Oxford.

Opposition from both sets of fans and threats of boycotts etc scuppered that plan. Before that QPR wanted not to merge, but to take over Brentford. At one time Portsmouth had Southern League Waterlooville as a nursery club. Pompey players coming back from injury would be loaned to W'ville and Pompey had first picks if the non Leaguers picked up a promising youngster.

4 hours ago, 22A said:

It came close about thirty years ago. One of the then, owners wanted to merge Reading with Oxford. The planning was fairly advanced. Oxford were fighting relegation, so it was agreed the new team would play in whichever division Reading were in. The name would be Thames Valley Royals. Most games would be played at Reading, but every fourth match would be staged at Oxford.

Opposition from both sets of fans and threats of boycotts etc scuppered that plan. Before that QPR wanted not to merge, but to take over Brentford. At one time Portsmouth had Southern League Waterlooville as a nursery club. Pompey players coming back from injury would be loaned to W'ville and Pompey had first picks if the non Leaguers picked up a promising youngster.

Gosh, was that really 30 years ago.  I remember how much of a stink that caused so well.

14 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

We have seen clubs relocate, rebrand etc... but when was the last time something like this happened in modern day football?

I don't think things like this happen...

There's a few non-league clubs that have merged together. Outside England wasn't PSG formed from a merge between 2 clubs, circa the 70s?

In England (but a long time ago) Torquay United and Ellacombe merged to form Torquay Town, Torquay Town then merged with Babbacombe to form Torquay United 11 years later. Not the most recent, but an odd one.

12 hours ago, 22A said:

The `then owner` you refer to was one Robert Maxwell I believe.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:12, Jurassic said:

GAS!?

Archived