IGNORED

on a roll. 1995-96 video part 1 up

1960maaan

I've not seen these videos myself for a while, the thing I notice about them is how many players I had forgotten that played for us.
This one throws up so many strikers, none prolific, but interesting to see the ones that come and go with little impact. It's better than watching the voice anyway. ;)

I've always liked that season's kit, but apart from that (and games like the 4-2 win at Trumpton) the mid-90s was a pretty forgettable time. 

It's interesting to see that footage, though. Great goal from Seal against Blackpool. Am I right in remembering him scoring against us at Northampton with a lob early in the John Ward promotion season?

The arrivals were Australian Dave Agostino from Berne for £50,000, Alan McCleary from Charlton, Phil Barber and Clive Allen from Millwall on free transfers. David Seal would lead the attack in lieu of Allison. That season 3 substitutes could be used in a game, all outfield players if so desired.

The season was only 12 seconds old when Blackpool took the lead at Ashton Gate. The two Australians, Seal and Agostino, showed the remainder of the team what effort was required and 20 minutes later Seal equalised from 20 yards out. Seal scored six times in the first six games of the 1995/96 season and all were from 20 to 30 yards out! Although the forwards were playing well, the defence was non-existent. At the end of August, City were away to Shrewsbury who had yet to win. City lost 4-1. Investment was needed but the board would only allow 5% voting rights to anyone coming in. Following protests David Russe resigned as Chairman but kept his seat on the board. He was replaced by the Vice Chairman. The one bright spot occurred in the League Cup; in the first round City were drawn against Colchester and both sides won their home leg 2-1. City won the deciding penalty shoot out, the first time that had happened.

This was followed by a bruising encounter at Peterborough. Both sides had a point to prove and kicked lumps out of each other. All six substitutes were used and three players were carried off, one of them ‘keeper Keith Welch. This brought Phil Kite into first team action but he was not good enough. City had only one game plan; hit the ball out to the right for Junior Bent to run with and centre to either Armstrong or one of the Australians. Teams learnt this and put two players on him and City failed to score in the next four games. Goal keeper Cieb Dykstra was loaned from Q.P.R. and his first game was at Notts County. Devon White put them 2-0 up, but both Australians scored to earn a point. After another goal less home game, City lost at Swindon where Wayne Allison scored. In a defeat at Bradford, ex City hero Carl Shutt scored for the home side. By early October only Hull kept City off the bottom. In 10 League games, six goals had been scored and 14 conceded.

Jordan acted quickly by signing a defender, Darren Barnard from Chelsea and he scored on his debut as Hull were beaten 4-0. This was followed by a 2-0 midweek win in the Autoglass Windscreen Shield, the competition for clubs in the bottom two divisions. Finally on October 21st, City won away for the first time, 1-0 at York. City then moved into a phase of winning and losing alternate matches with only an occasional draw. November was a month for peaks and valleys in performances. The F.A. Cup was a short lived affair. The first round was at Bournemouth. Q.P.R. did not want Dykstra cup tied so Keith Welch returned after two months out through injury. He had a marvellous game and it ended nil nil. Bournemouth won the resultant replay 1-0. City then went to Rotherham and won 3-2 with Seal marking his return to the first team with a goal. The month ended with a trip to Shrewsbury for the A.W. Shield and after another nil nil result, City lost 7-6 on penalties.

December 1995 and January 1996 saw an improvement in League performances, even the divisional leaders were beaten and for the first time City had the chance to climb above Rovers. Over 20,000 turned up for a Winter mid week game and some were locked out as the visitors won 2-0. The team bounced back and continued to climb the table and had a chance to get into the top 10 by beating Burnley. Tinnion centred and Agostino was left with a simple tap in. He turned his back on the goal to attempt a backheel and missed completely! Later on Seal had a penalty saved and Burnley scored the only goal near the end. Now came the return game with Rovers. A capacity crowd of 9,000 saw City take the lead, Rovers equalise and City score three more before Rovers gained a late consolation as City won a League encounter at Twerton Park for the first time. Oddly, the six goals were scored by six different players. That was the last Bristol derby to be played at Bath as the following season Rovers moved to the Memorial Ground, home of the Rugby Club. With a quarter of the season remaining, City were just within reach of the last of the play off places. Nothing came of it though and the season ended in 13th position with 55 goals scored and 60 conceded.

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

God wasn't Dryden shite !!!!

Seal scored some truly great goals :clap:

Didn't we sell him to Soton for more than we paid? Great business 

45 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Didn't we sell him to Soton for more than we paid? Great business 

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

God wasn't Dryden shite !!!!

He went on to do pretty well, weren't Southampton in the Prem when he was there. Not sure how that happened.

35 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Is that away fans in the dolman? 

I don't think they allowed away fans in the Dolman after Sheff Utd. What with that Portsmouth,Millwall etc I think they realised.

13 hours ago, Offside said:

I've always liked that season's kit, but apart from that (and games like the 4-2 win at Trumpton) the mid-90s was a pretty forgettable time. 

It's interesting to see that footage, though. Great goal from Seal against Blackpool. Am I right in remembering him scoring against us at Northampton with a lob early in the John Ward promotion season?

The irony being he was on LOAN from us and Ward said he could play !:grr:

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The irony being he was on LOAN from us and Ward said he could play !:grr:

I was there that day, you just knew it was going to happen. If that wasn't bad enough , no pubs would let us in so we had to buy beer from the local Tesco and drink it on the banks near the ground. 

11 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

Clive Allen from Millwall?

The player we signed from Millwall was Phil Barber, not Clive Allen.

Think big Joe saw him as Tinnion's replacement- he certainly wasn't and within a few months Tinnion was back in the side and Barber had been moved on.

Dryden was another sign that Joe's second spell was never going to reach the heights of the first, he was truly utter crap and although Tomarse is right as we paid £150k for him, then inexplicably Saints paid us £200k at a time when he couldn't even get in our side. I could never understand why.

Final point, how good does Junior Bent look in some of these games? I always thought he took a lot of unfair stick, his pace scared teams and he always gave everything for the shirt.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The player we signed from Millwall was Phil Barber, not Clive Allen.

Think big Joe saw him as Tinnion's replacement- he certainly wasn't and within a few months Tinnion was back in the side and Barber had been moved on.

Dryden was another sign that Joe's second spell was never going to reach the heights of the first, he was truly utter crap and although Tomarse is right as we paid £150k for him, then inexplicably Saints paid us £200k at a time when he couldn't even get in our side. I could never understand why.

Final point, how good does Junior Bent look in some of these games? I always thought he took a lot of unfair stick, his pace scared teams and he always gave everything for the shirt.

Thanks Graham, I thought I was losing my mind!

Southampton's gain, was indeed OUR again too, he was definitely poor.

Junior's rep was based on generally being a poor finisher, but he definitely had some moments of brilliance in him, his pace was outstanding.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I was there that day, you just knew it was going to happen. If that wasn't bad enough , no pubs would let us in so we had to buy beer from the local Tesco and drink it on the banks near the ground. 

I remember the game started and there was still a good number drinking up on that bank. Good day out really. 

3 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

Thanks Graham, I thought I was losing my mind!

Southampton's gain, was indeed OUR again too, he was definitely poor.

Junior's rep was based on generally being a poor finisher, but he definitely had some moments of brilliance in him, his pace was outstanding.

Vastly underrated / appreciated Graham

A current Premiership manager told me he hated playing against us when Bent was playing as his pace caused them to defend 15-20 yards deeper, because of his pace , and opened the pitch up for us to play

Archived