IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

Have to hand it to the Lions, they've been slaughtered by everyone all week for underperforming but they seem to have stepped it up just at the right time, now they need a couple of big performances this coming week to get them in the mood to give the all blacks a half decent game...

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not Lions related but that England v Argentina game this evening was superb. Fantastic performance by England.

Best game i have watched for a long time. What depth England have. Superb.

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I liked the look of Sexton and Farrell together as well. Gone off T'eo somewhat, not sure I've seen him pass the ball yet.

Evening gentlemen and ladies. 

This mornings game was superb. What a fantastic defensive display from the lions. Faletau was sensational again, hard to imagine he'd be second fiddle to Billy v had he been fit. He's been our best player so far. 

The set piece is starting to take shape, as is the movement in the backs. Considering crusaders have not gone without scoring a try for 13 odd years, I'd say it was testament to Mr Gatland's tactics. 

With regards to Mr Robartes comments above, based on form so far, I'd only select Farrell at 10. I would not select both he and sexton. We tried playing two fly half's vs new Zealand in 2005 with Jones and Wilkinson and it didn't work. I'd have Farrell at 10 and teo at 12. Crash ball 12 don't necessarily have to pass the ball, just create the space for others to flourish. Don't want to be too clever by playing these two at the same time. 

Plenty of warm up matches and training go go. 

7 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Evening gentlemen and ladies. 

This mornings game was superb. What a fantastic defensive display from the lions. Faletau was sensational again, hard to imagine he'd be second fiddle to Billy v had he been fit. He's been our best player so far. 

The set piece is starting to take shape, as is the movement in the backs. Considering crusaders have not gone without scoring a try for 13 odd years, I'd say it was testament to Mr Gatland's tactics. 

With regards to Mr Robartes comments above, based on form so far, I'd only select Farrell at 10. I would not select both he and sexton. We tried playing two fly half's vs new Zealand in 2005 with Jones and Wilkinson and it didn't work. I'd have Farrell at 10 and teo at 12. Crash ball 12 don't necessarily have to pass the ball, just create the space for others to flourish. Don't want to be too clever by playing these two at the same time. 

Plenty of warm up matches and training go go. 

Agree with everything you say except on T'eo. Not sure I've ever seen him pass, I think he's a bit one dimensional for this level. I think Gatland likes him and I suspect you're right that he will start the first test.

Not sure I'd play Sexton and Farrell  in the tests either but Sexton looked so much better than he has in months interchanging with Farrell. Worth trying again in a midweek game I'd say. Farrell will definitely play 10 barring injury. Murray and Farrell would improve any team, both absolutely amazing players.

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Agree with everything you say except on T'eo. Not sure I've ever seen him pass, I think he's a bit one dimensional for this level. I think Gatland likes him and I suspect you're right that he will start the first test.

Not sure I'd play Sexton and Farrell  in the tests either but Sexton looked so much better than he has in months interchanging with Farrell. Worth trying again in a midweek game I'd say. Farrell will definitely play 10 barring injury. Murray and Farrell would improve any team, both absolutely amazing players.

Murray will definitely start now. He controlled the forwards and dictated the backs all game. He was my definite starter when the tour started and he has nailed that position so far. 

What a wonderful selection headache to have with this squad of players. Watson today was brilliant when he came on, but I would not start him at fullback. He'd be on the wing with north on the other wing and halfpenny at full back. Would still like to see Joseph play at 13 more this tour. It could be an England midfield of farrell, teo and Joseph that starts the first New Zealand game. It's the 13 position that interests me at the moment. As much as I love jj (bath bias), he needs to show in these games that he can be the best option against this opposition. We shall see over the next few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Murray will definitely start now. He controlled the forwards and dictated the backs all game. He was my definite starter when the tour started and he has nailed that position so far. 

What a wonderful selection headache to have with this squad of players. Watson today was brilliant when he came on, but I would not start him at fullback. He'd be on the wing with north on the other wing and halfpenny at full back. Would still like to see Joseph play at 13 more this tour. It could be an England midfield of farrell, teo and Joseph that starts the first New Zealand game. It's the 13 position that interests me at the moment. As much as I love jj (bath bias), he needs to show in these games that he can be the best option against this opposition. We shall see over the next few weeks. 

Yeah there are some good options in most positions. I thought O'Mahony had a really good game today as well, whole back row went well. Watson really caught my eye and would be my pick for a wing spot. Shame for Hogg that Murray caught him, feel he needed a big game after last Saturday. May see him start again midweek if he's ok.

Feel that Davies will wear 13 as he's hit form at the right time. I reckon him and T'eo will line out for the first test. 

Can't overstate what a good win that was. Not too much in attack but Crusaders are an excellent side and Lions dominated them. The Crusaders tight five could all feasibly start the first test and they all got mugged right off in the set piece.

8 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Yeah there are some good options in most positions. I thought O'Mahony had a really good game today as well, whole back row went well. Watson really caught my eye and would be my pick for a wing spot. Shame for Hogg that Murray caught him, feel he needed a big game after last Saturday. May see him start again midweek if he's ok.

Feel that Davies will wear 13 as he's hit form at the right time. I reckon him and T'eo will line out for the first test. 

Can't overstate what a good win that was. Not too much in attack but Crusaders are an excellent side and Lions dominated them. The Crusaders tight five could all feasibly start the first test and they all got mugged right off in the set piece.

Agree Michael, might stop the sneering arrogance of the N Z press for a few days, but I doubt it..

The first Lions try was quality, CJ who had a difficult start but grew into the game took out two defenders before offloading to Biggar who offloaded to JJ. Great finish from him, identified that the Landers wing had three to look after and great pace to burst through pretty much unmolested.

Too many soft penalties again but more evidence of an attack developing today, and without most of the front line guys you'd feel. Henderson needed a big performance to have even an outside chance of making the bench and produced one today, his big problem (apart from injuries) is consistency. Warburton shouldn't start the first test, both Tipuric and SOB are ahead of him for me. The last scrum was a bit of a worry too, Cole got absolutely minced. Hope Lawes is ok, I'd say he'll have a sore head in the morning. Care should be there ahead of Laidlaw, god help the Lions if he ends up benching in a test.

Also not sure if it's been mentioned here but Hogg is going home. Haven't heard anything about a replacement being called up yet. Would think Zebo or Earls will be the next cab off the rank but I suppose I would say that.

I think the definite starters for the first test can now be extended to Murray, Farrell, Furlong, Faletau, Watson and Halfpenny since he and Payne (who clearly isn't fit) are the only full backs left assuming Watson plays on the wing.

For me first test side atm

1. Vunipola 
  2. Owens
  3. Furlong
  4. Itoje
  5. AWJ
  6. Stander
  7. Tipuric
  8. Faletau
  9. Murray
  10. Sexton
  11. Watson
  12. Farrell
  13. Davies
  14. North
  15. Halfpenny 

In reality wouldn't be shocked to see Warburton at 6 and Tipuric 7.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

For me first test side atm

1. Vunipola 
  2. Owens
  3. Furlong
  4. Itoje
  5. AWJ
  6. Stander
  7. Tipuric
  8. Faletau
  9. Murray
  10. Sexton
  11. Watson
  12. Farrell
  13. Davies
  14. North
  15. Halfpenny 

In reality wouldn't be shocked to see Warburton at 6 and Tipuric 7.

I like that team Hodge. I'd be very tempted by the Sexton/Farrell axis because none of the centres are tearing up trees at the moment.

The only changes I might make to your team are POM for CJ and Liam Williams for North. He hasn't covered himself in glory yet but I think he's one of the best players on tour and will come good. I'd be tempted to start George as well but I really like the idea of him coming on with 30 minutes to go.

Just now, MichaelRobartes said:

I like that team Hodge. I'd be very tempted by the Sexton/Farrell axis because none of the centres are tearing up trees at the moment.

The only changes I might make to your team are POM for CJ and Liam Williams for North. He hasn't covered himself in glory yet but I think he's one of the best players on tour and will come good. I'd be tempted to start George as well but I really like the idea of him coming on with 30 minutes to go.

I chose Stander as I missed POM's appearances so far on tour. Williams I'm not convinced by tbh, the red flag still there with his yellow card, a silly mistake like that against the all black's will be far more costly and yes George would be my hooker off the bench, shown his qualities coming off the bench for England. 

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

I chose Stander as I missed POM's appearances so far on tour. Williams I'm not convinced by tbh, the red flag still there with his yellow card, a silly mistake like that against the all black's will be far more costly and yes George would be my hooker off the bench, shown his qualities coming off the bench for England. 

POM only played the one full match so far but he's one of the most underrated players around in my opinion, a real brute and a great leader. Think the Lions have been missing something around the breakdown which may push the coaches towards picking him. With POM and Itoje on the pitch there'd be no excuse for losing any lineout ball as well. Only dilemma then is whether you put CJ or SOB on the bench.

It was really stupid of him to get himself put in the bin. I was no fan of his when he was younger because he was a bit of a cheap shot merchant but he's calmed down and really added to his game over the last few years. I don't think any of the wings apart from Watson have done very well so far.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

I hope Daly at least makes the bench, real chance for him to be on the other wing I feel, plus his range kicking could be an advantage. 

I would think his versatility would make him a strong bench candidate. Plenty of goal kicking options in the 23 if him, Halfpenny, Farrell, Sexton and Murray are all included. I really like Daly but don't feel he's done enough in the games he's had to warrant a starting place. Balls of steel to take on that kick from 57m earlier. Maximum respect for that.

Kristian Dacey, Cory Hill, Tomas Francis and Gareth Davies plus two Scots one of whom is Finn Russell are the names I've seen.

No problem with Russell and Davies being there. I'd have called up Care before Davies but both are good players. Dacey over Hartley or Scannell or Fraser Brown? Hill over Launchbury or Ryan? I suppose I can't think of an obviously better tighthead option in terms of experience than Francis right now, though there would be a few guys like John Ryan in front of him.

Be interesting to see if it's true. It devalues the jersey in my opinion. I thought Zebo or another back three player would be there with Hogg going home and most of the wingers not performing. 

Archived