IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

The All Blacks will get better in the next two tests, they always do!.

The Lions pinned their hopes on the front five and pack in general, I think people tend to forget just how good NZ are in that area. 

NZ lost two of their backs in the first half to injury, but you wouldn't have known it simply because of the class on the bench. They have their big powerful wingers awaiting to get the call up for the next tests, it's a frightening prospect!.

The Lions gave it a go, but haven't got the handling or offloading skills that NZ have. It will be interesting to see if the AB's release the Hurricane players that didn't play today for Tuesdays game in Wellington.

The Lions played a lot better than I expected. I thought Davies, Murray, POM were really good. Farrell seemed a bit below his usual standards and I thought Kruis had a bit of a nightmare. Maybe Itoje comes in for him next week and Tipuric or CJ need to replace Warburton on the bench, he's not an impact player.

Who said NZ by 15 the other day? :fear:

Again Teo failed to pass, 3 on 2 overlap and he steps inside, slips and we lose it

Liam WIlliams was excellent with the ball in hand, as was Anthony Watson but at the end of the day the All Blacks are the best in the world and showed it today, that pick up from Barrett was breathtaking and the hands from Codie Taylor to pick up that ball, when you consider he is a hooker, were marvellous.

A lot of work for the Lions to do to make the 2nd game more competitive but they showed at times just how good they can be today, the 1st try for the Lions was All Black class tbf

30 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Again Teo failed to pass, 3 on 2 overlap and he steps inside, slips and we lose it

Liam WIlliams was excellent with the ball in hand, as was Anthony Watson but at the end of the day the All Blacks are the best in the world and showed it today, that pick up from Barrett was breathtaking and the hands from Codie Taylor to pick up that ball, when you consider he is a hooker, were marvellous.

A lot of work for the Lions to do to make the 2nd game more competitive but they showed at times just how good they can be today, the 1st try for the Lions was All Black class tbf

Very good summary imo.

A few thoughts, the Lions, except for the outstanding try their play was predictable, the rush defence was nullified by the AB's,by them using the inside channel time after time. The Lions kicking from the base of rucks was predictable and was dealt with fairly comfortably by the AB's. 

The Lions lineout went well, they also took a couple from the AB throw.

The AB's forward pack won that battle, the Lions scrum was creaking a couple of times ( the 2nd AB try in particular!)  The AB's seemed to hit the rucks harder and lower. If the Lions can't get any domination upfront then they will not win a test, simply because the AB's backs are better and more skilful than the Lions and the Lions won't be able to stop them getting good ball.

Once Ben Teo went off SBW was making 10-15 yards by running at Farrell and Sexton, they couldn't cope with him. 

One other thing I did notice, Vinipola sp? looked absolutely shattered after 15 minutes, he just doesn't look fit enough for test rugby!.

I'd be tempted to bring in both Itoje and Henderson into second row, agree Tipuric onto the bench. I'd drop Te'o as well but not sure who you'd play at 12 as I'm not sure Sexton works as well as Farrell at 10. Only concern about Daly is that he was leaving too much space outside him which led to 2 tries. 

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:42, hodge said:

I'd be tempted to bring in both Itoje and Henderson into second row, agree Tipuric onto the bench. I'd drop Te'o as well but not sure who you'd play at 12 as I'm not sure Sexton works as well as Farrell at 10. Only concern about Daly is that he was leaving too much space outside him which led to 2 tries. 

Henderson has been fantastic today.

Good game that. I thought Henderson was a bit unlucky to get a yellow card, I thought he put him down fairly nicely but it was probably the right call.

My team for Saturday:

Williams, Watson, Davies, T'eo, Daly; Farrell (if fit), Murray; McGrath, Owens, Furlong, Itoje, Lawes, POM, SOB, Faletau

George, Vunipola, Sinckler, Henderson, Tipuric, Webb, Sexton, Payne

Word is that POM is dropped for Warburton though, bizarre if true, thought POM was one of our best players last week. Would be gutted for him but not displeased from a selfish point of view, we need to get him back healthy.

Rumoured that Warburton is in at 6 with POM benching. Itoje into the row with Lawes on the bench and AWJ out. Nowell onto the bench for Halfpenny.

Would be really disappointed if this is true. The tight five were disappointing as a whole so surprised not to see changes in the front row. Also thought Henderson outperformed Lawes on Tuesday but Henderson is inconsistent enough so maybe that's fair enough. Warburton shouldn't be near the test team, especially at POM's expense. Not been at all convinced by Nowell on this tour but makes more sense than having Halfpenny on the bench at least.

You could make a case for either of the locks being dropped, though not surprised it's AWJ who looks likely to miss out. I actually thought Warburton was good when he came on last week but I wouldn't say he did enough to earn a start, especially as O'Mahoney didn't do anything wrong.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

You could make a case for either of the locks being dropped, though not surprised it's AWJ who looks likely to miss out. I actually thought Warburton was good when he came on last week but I wouldn't say he did enough to earn a start, especially as O'Mahoney didn't do anything wrong.

I would have been tempted to drop them both. If true then Kruis is particularly lucky to get another life, I thought he was very poor. He is a good player though so I can see why he'd get another chance, especially if his clubmate starts alongside him. Surprised McGrath isn't getting a start, he's a better scrummager than Vunipola and you wouldn't mind seeing Mako come on after 50 minutes as a Lions fan.

I thought O'Mahony was the best back row on the pitch to be honest. I wouldn't have dropped any of the back row though, I thought they all played well enough. If it's true then at least POM will have more of an impact off the bench than Warburton would. 

Hope Garces decides to ref NZ targeting Murray's standing leg after he box kicks. I'm sick of watching Murray play from behind the sofa. 

POM shouldn't be dropped, played well and his line out work was excellent. Kruis, AWJ should both have gone, itoje and either Lawes or Henderson in.

see North and Henshaw both injured, congrats gats on taking a big squad of quality players to start with.....

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Just **** off gatland

Not a fan then?!

Can't say i blame you, seems to be too big a job for him and his staff.

How Lawes isn't playing over AWJ i don't know.

Dropping Peter O'Mahony after making him captain seems odd, the captaincy seems to be like the proverbial hot potato that nobody wants. And did he really play that badly in the 1st test?

I'd have Nowell starting over Daly on the wing.

Sad to say, i can't see anything other than NZ 3-0.

Archived